L.I. county bans trans athletes from competing with girls

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 1:40 pm

Long Island county bans transgender athletes from competing with girls

Quote:
In a move that a local official said was done to battle so-called "bullying" from people born biologically male, a Long Island county is banning transgender athletes from competing in women's and girls' sports at their facilities.

Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman announced the new ban at a Thursday morning press conference. It will take effect immediately.

"There’s too much bullying going on of biological males trying to inject themselves in female sports," Blakeman said, surrounded by supporters and young girls. "It’s wrong and it’s a form of bullying."

The executive order bars transgender athletes from competing against girls at all 100 sports facilities run by Nassau County, including ball fields and ice rinks. It is believed to be the first ban on transgender participation in sports on a county-wide level in the U.S.

"This is a matter that concerns the integrity, fairness and safety of women's sports," said Samantha Goetz, a former high school athlete and current county legislator. The mother of two argued it’s a matter of fairness for female athletes, who can't compete physically with biological males.

"There is no training I could have engaged in to compete against a biological male," Goetz said.

When asked by reporters what spurred such a ban to be enacted, Blakeman could cite no examples of such a thing occurring in Nassau County. Neither could the executive director of the agency that oversees high school sports in the county.

Protestors outside the county office building condemned Blakeman's action as illegal, discriminatory and unnecessary. They accused Blakeman of playing politics with the lives of vulnerable transgender kids.

A former high school athlete from Suffolk County who is now transitioning to become a woman said such a ban would take away any sense of community and cohesion for transgender athletes.

LGBT Network CEO Robert Vitelli said the order "sends a message to trans kids that they don’t belong."

A legal challenge is expected, but an unapologetic Blakeman believes his executive order will withstand any test.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul weighed in later Thursday, accusing Blakeman of bullying transgender kids and saying her office would enforce state laws designed to protect children. That message was echoed by New York Attorney General Letitia James, who said her office is reviewing the state's legal options.

"This executive order is transphobic and deeply dangerous. In New York, we have laws that protect our beautifully diverse communities from hate and discrimination of any and every kind," James said in a statement.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2024, 8:16 am

"There’s too much bullying going on of biological males trying to inject themselves in female sports," Blakeman said.

Clearly, there must be easier and more effective ways for men to bully women than to become trans athletes?

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 9:01 am

Now that non-binary gender has been accepted,In such contests, the use of gender as a criterion for differentiation has become outdated。
Testosterone Levels should be the new criterion.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 9:15 am

I think there should be a separate category for trans athletes if their skeletal structure gives them a clear advantage in a particular sport or at least play with some sort of handicap.

Hormone levels are not a good way of measuring performance if someone is 6ft + with stocky shoulders. It's hard to not notice the significance size difference with many trans athletes.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 1:05 pm

Are trans men banned from competing against cis gendered males, too? :roll:

belijojo wrote:
Now that non-binary gender has been accepted,In such contests, the use of gender as a criterion for differentiation has become outdated。

Or if the world wants to be fair and even bout gender equality in every way just let every one compete against each other and may the best human/team win. Period. Just like everything else in real life.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 6:15 pm

NY attorney general sends Long Island exec cease-and-desist over transgender athlete ban

Quote:
New York's attorney general sent a cease-and-desist letter on Friday slamming a Long Island lawmaker for issuing a "discriminatory and transphobic" executive order designed to keep transgender athletes from playing sports.

Attorney General Letitia James ordered Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman to "immediately rescind" his order on the basis it discriminates against people based sex, gender, identity of expression -- a violation of New York law.

"The law is perfectly clear: you cannot discriminate against a person because of their gender identity or expression. We have no room for hate or bigotry in New York,” James said Friday. “This executive order is transphobic and blatantly illegal. Nassau County must immediately rescind the order, or we will not hesitate to take decisive legal action.”

James gave the county executive five days to rescind the order "or else face additional legal action."

Blakeman doubled down on claims he seeks to protect athletes from "bullying" at a press conference Friday afternoon. He also invited James or her office to meet with county lawyers to examine state and federal law.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 6:27 pm

belijojo wrote:

I feel the same way; as long as they meet the same criteria for testosterone as other athletes

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 10:46 pm

The criteria for deciding who competes on a women's team is not a simple question. In any case, there is no reason the Blakeman and the county to be getting involved other than politics.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 12:13 pm

Aspinator wrote:
belijojo wrote:

I feel the same way; as long as they meet the same criteria for testosterone as other athletes

Really? Since when are any athletic organisations measuring testosterone levels? High school, amateur, professional.. ?

Googled. Apparently since 2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testoster ... (inclusive)%2C%20other%20events%20being

Okaaaaay wtf? Why? Because someone was born with a Natural athletic edge that makes them more competitive? :?

We gonna go measure Michael Phelps' blood oxygen levels and lactic acid levels and lung capacity and hydrodynamics and thrust capabilities etc etc etc and then strip him of his record number of medals for being born with a body that's superior at his chosen sport and/or Make Him chemically alter his body to be less competitive? :? :? :?

Wild. This whole thing is stupid, IMO.

Here are my proposed class divisions:

Natural humans
Doped up humans
Cyborg machine merged humans

Hmm, maybe that's it for now.. people vs people, drugs vs drugs, robots vs robots.. readyyyyyy fight! haha :D

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 2:10 pm

I agree that separation is appropriate but I think perhaps it should be based upon genetics.

Separate XX athletes from XY athletes. (I'd be curious to hear ideas for folk with nonstandard genes.)

Not boys, not girls, not men, not women. Not based upon psychology or current physical appearance.

Just XX and XY. (I pronounce them "zix" and "zuy".)

And bathrooms and lockers should provide enough individual privacy that it doesn't matter.

Testosterone levels? Just follow the rules for performance-enhancing drugs.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2024, 4:19 pm

I think people take these sport competitions way to serious. Some athletes use performance enhancing drugs and the best of them are born with extreme genetics. If you think that a fair competition is that the winner is the one that has worked hardest then there's nothing fair about sport on an international top level.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 5:22 pm

belijojo wrote:

^^^ This is what I was thinking is fairer. But the problem is elite female athletes all produce higher than normal testosterone. The margin needs to be carefully drawn.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 5:22 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Testosterone levels? Just follow the rules for performance-enhancing drugs.

This might be the best resolution to the dilemma.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 12:11 pm

A few years back there was a runner from South Africa Her name was Caster Semenya Due to natural causes at birth she had elevated levels of testosterone. She was setting new records every time she ran. It was ruled she had to meet the same testosterone levels of the other female runners she was competing against. Last year in the Human Rights Court it was ruled that Semenya was being discriminated against as she was born with elevated levels of testosterone and it was ruled that she was eligible to compete without any restrictions although I tend to view the original ruling as correct.

Last edited by Aspinator on 08 Mar 2024, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 12:27 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Here are my proposed class divisions:

Natural humans
Doped up humans
Cyborg machine merged humans

Hmm, maybe that's it for now.. people vs people, drugs vs drugs, robots vs robots.. readyyyyyy fight! haha :D

I know it's just a joke.
Athletes were originally divided by gender because men must have an overwhelming advantage over women(I hope this is not considered discriminatory.)At the same time, women also need to perform in sports.Based on similar principles, we created the Paralympic Games.

If the system is to be improved, the new standard cannot be inferior to the old one.Congenitally deficient people need to be rewarded as long as they make the same effort.So it's not appropriate for people to compete indiscriminately.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 12:32 pm

Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman files lawsuit against NY Attorney General over trans ban

Quote:
James, in her "cease and desist" letter Friday, said the order is a clear violation of the state's anti-discrimination laws and must be rescinded in five days, or else the county will face legal action.

"The law is perfectly clear: You cannot discriminate against a person because of their gender identity or expression," the Democrat said in a statement. "This executive order is transphobic and blatantly illegal."

James also said the order will deter teams from other areas from competing in the county, and subjects women's and girls' sports teams to "intrusive and invasive questioning" and other unnecessary verification requirements.

"What the attorney general is asking us to do is a violation of federal constitutional law and federal statutory law so our response was to file a lawsuit," Blakeman said.
Blakeman says his goal is to protect female athletes from male-born athletes who are bigger, stronger and faster. He is joined in his lawsuit by the Mullin family of Nassau County.

The county executive says male-born athletes can compete on co-ed teams or all male teams, or even transgender teams if they want to create one.

"We're not being anti-transgender at all. I take great offense to that, we're a kind and generous and loving community," Blakeman said.

Gabriella Larios is a staff attorney for New York Civil Liberties Union and says her organization is considering legal options to stop Blakeman's executive order and lawsuit.

She says the lawsuit is "dangerous" and contributes to an "anti-trans" climate.