Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 2:24 pm

babybird wrote:
Yeah with me it's wether or not it grabs my attention within the first few minutes. If it doesn't I won't watch it.

I think it's an ADHD thing

Many episodes start with a “cold opening” where the action is setup and introduced even before the credits or theme song. Very ADHD friendly that way.

You can find episodes on Paramount Plus, or pluto.tv - or look for clips on youtube search for “star trek spock” or “star trek data” if you just want a quick look or two.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 2:31 pm

Fnord wrote:

Q

Comparing Data and Q: Neurodivergent Traits

Data:
- Known for logical thinking and analytical prowess.
- Struggles with expressing and understanding emotions.
- Prioritizes facts, logic, and rationality.
- Faces challenges with social nuances.
- Displays unique perspectives and strengths.

Q:
- Exhibits erratic behavior and impulsivity.
- Demonstrates emotional unpredictability.
- Operates on a plane beyond human logic.
- Social interactions marked by eccentricity.
- Unique perspectives challenge conventional norms.

Common Ground:
- Both characters, in their own ways, deviate from typical human emotional expression and social norms.
- Data's focus on logic contrasts with Q's unpredictable and emotionally impulsive nature.

What are your thoughts on this comparison?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 6:06 pm

I prefer Spock because he commands more respect from the other characters, though I haven't seen many Data episodes. I'd just rather see logical people in more dignified positions on the media, to help teach the public to stop looking down on them.

I hope I'm more like Spock than Data.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 3:21 am

Fenn wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Q

Comparing Data and Q: Neurodivergent Traits

Data:
- Known for logical thinking and analytical prowess.
- Struggles with expressing and understanding emotions.
- Prioritizes facts, logic, and rationality.
- Faces challenges with social nuances.
- Displays unique perspectives and strengths.

Q:
- Exhibits erratic behavior and impulsivity.
- Demonstrates emotional unpredictability.
- Operates on a plane beyond human logic.
- Social interactions marked by eccentricity.
- Unique perspectives challenge conventional norms

Common Ground:
- Both characters, in their own ways, deviate from typical human emotional expression and social norms.
- Data's focus on logic contrasts with Q's unpredictable and emotionally impulsive nature.

What are your thoughts on this comparison?

I'm more like Q but I don't have ADHD -- more like active but odd.
The obnoxiousness comes and goes however.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Feb 2024, 12:37 pm

I see Data & Spock as two sides of the same coin so to speak. They had a lot of similar characteristics like both being strong, both being able to handle extreme environments, both very smart & analytical, both did math fast, both were good at engineering & science, & both were kinda outsiders to name a few. Their main difference besides their history & species stuff is that~ Date expressed emotions but could not really feel them the way humans do until after he got his emotion chip installed & Data tried to emulate Humans. Whereas Spock felt intense emotions but tried to pretend he did not have them & prided himself of being different from Humans.

As for who I relate to more, I both feel & express emotions. However I probably do not feel emotions the way others do or I feel different emotions at different times. Plus the way I express emotions often gets misinterpreted & I have a hard time reading others emotions. I do not have their strengths & abilities either. I guess I relate to Spock more because he was more of a loner. I can handle being around other people & working around them & such for an extended time but I don't socialize as much. However I do not pride myself on being different or better than others. I see myself as majorly flawed when comparing myself to others but I know I can never be them so I just try to be me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 1:02 pm

nick007 wrote:
I see Data & Spock as two sides of the same coin so to speak. They had a lot of similar characteristics like both being strong, both being able to handle extreme environments, both very smart & analytical, both did math fast, both were good at engineering & science, & both were kinda outsiders to name a few. Their main difference besides their history & species stuff is that~ Date expressed emotions but could not really feel them the way humans do until after he got his emotion chip installed & Data tried to emulate Humans. Whereas Spock felt intense emotions but tried to pretend he did not have them & prided himself of being different from Humans.

As for who I relate to more, I both feel & express emotions. However I probably do not feel emotions the way others do or I feel different emotions at different times. Plus the way I express emotions often gets misinterpreted & I have a hard time reading others emotions. I do not have their strengths & abilities either. I guess I relate to Spock more because he was more of a loner. I can handle being around other people & working around them & such for an extended time but I don't socialize as much. However I do not pride myself on being different or better than others. I see myself as majorly flawed when comparing myself to others but I know I can never be them so I just try to be me.

Didn't Spock repress/suppress his feelings in some kind of complicated way rather than ignore any feelings present?

And during Pon Farr, sexual feelings were felt and became intoxicating to the mind, if I remember correctly?

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 1:41 pm

Tuvok.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 8:44 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Didn't Spock repress/suppress his feelings in some kind of complicated way rather than ignore any feelings present?

And during Pon Farr, sexual feelings were felt and became intoxicating to the mind, if I remember correctly?

In TOS (Star Trek the original series) I don’t remember Spock repressing his feelings or any discussion of such. In the reboot films there are kind of references to such. I think in the Enterprise series there was mention of Vulcan’s repressing feelings.

As I recall Spock was half human and half Vulcan. His father was Vulcan and his mother was human. He had green blood (explained as “copper based hemoglobin”) and his body temperature was lower than human average (as indicated by comments from Doctor McCoy about “that green icewater you call blood”). One wonders how his mother managed to carry a child with such physical differences but I suppose one can explain a lot of things with “future science” and “alien technology”.

I always wanted to be like Spock growing up, I studied science in school and took extra Science electives in college that were not required by my major (computer Science). Like Spock I often found humans strange and hard to understand. I even learned how to raise one eyebrow and was in the habit of using it as a nonverbal comment or question. I once, at one of my first jobs was spontaneously greeted by a coworker with the phrase “and how are you my Vulcan friend?”

Like Data I also tried to study human behavior and mimic those around me. I read books on nonverbal communication and body language. Like Data my attempts at acting like everyone else were sometimes embarrassing or comical. Also like Data I can monologue an overlong list of facts. Later in life I tried for more balance. Eventually Spock stopped being my role model and I wanted to be more human. Sometimes I just wish the world would accept me as I am, but I still think expecting everyone in Japan to learn Dutch just because it is my native language is naive and impractical. Trying to learn to act like other people is like learning the local language even if it is called “masking”.

Last edited by Fenn on 26 Feb 2024, 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 9:09 am

old_comedywriter wrote:
Tuvok.

- Spock: In addition to his half-human, half-Vulcan background, Spock's portrayal delves into challenges like Pon Farr, a Vulcan mating drive, showcased in episodes like "Amok Time." This explores the struggle between emotional and logical aspects, touching on themes of executive function and emotional self-control. Spock's stoic demeanor often resonates with the Vulcan archetype.

- Tuvok: Tuvok, surprisingly more expressive than Spock, (Tuvok is full Vulcan) as seen in Star Trek: Voyager, offers insights into the Vulcan Pon Farr and its impact. His logical reasoning and emotional control, typical Vulcan traits, might resonate with those navigating similar challenges related to autism. Tuvok's expressiveness contrasts with the stoicism often associated with Vulcans, resembling the nuanced emotional experiences that individuals on the autism spectrum may encounter.

- Autism Challenges: Drawing parallels, individuals on the autism spectrum often face difficulties in dating due to challenges in understanding and expressing emotions. Both Spock and Tuvok's struggles highlight aspects of executive function and emotional self-control that can relate to these challenges.

Your thoughts? How do you see the portrayal of these characters in relation to the complexities of autism and dating?

Last edited by Fenn on 26 Feb 2024, 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 9:12 am

Based on OP.

Not having emotions (Data) — not autistic.

Having emotions but suppressing them when dealing with others (Spock) — autistic.

Although I'm not personally a Spock fanboi.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 9:46 am

MaxE wrote:
Based on OP.

Having emotions but suppressing them when dealing with others (Spock) — autistic.

There was an episode of TNG called 'The Schizoid Man' that featured Data as the main story. That seemed to be a reference to Schizoid personality disorder.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Feb 2024, 4:47 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Based on OP.

There was an episode of TNG called 'The Schizoid Man' that featured Data as the main story. That seemed to be a reference to Schizoid personality disorder.
Wasn't that the ep where someone put his mind into Data's & Data was acting extremely erratic? If it is that ep, I would think Schizoid is short for Schizophrenia.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 5:10 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Based on OP.

They missed the chance to call it 31st Century Schizoid Man

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 5:35 pm

Off Topic
Hmmm...

Autism used to be thought to be a subtype of schizophrenia.

It's all starting to fall together! :cheers:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 5:40 pm

Schizoid personality disorder is similar to schizophrenia in terms of the symptoms, but one key difference is that those with SPD don't experience psychosis, whereas schizophrenic patients do experience that.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 5:52 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Schizoid personality disorder is similar to schizophrenia in terms of the symptoms, but one key difference is that those with SPD don't experience psychosis, whereas schizophrenic patients do experience that.
They're talking about circa 1950.

Quote:
Since the first description of autistic tendencies in the early 1800s, the definition and
diagnostic criteria for autism have changed radically. The first Diagnostic Statistical Manual
(DSM) categorized autism as a childhood subtype of schizophrenia (American Psychiatric
Association, 1952) though autism was eventually separated from schizophrenia, becoming its
own diagnosis. Over time autism evolved into a diagnostic spectrum by the time the DSM-5 was
published in 2013. Autism is becoming more prevalent, and the diagnostic criteria and definition
are likely to continue to change in the future.