Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 2:42 am

I know there disability rights, I need to copy it down to remember. I didn’t know or forget that a disabled tenant can get certain things to help them like putting in a railing on the porch or handles in the bathroom. When I broke my ankle over 5 years ago, my in-home physical therapist asked my landlord to put in a railing on my porch, he never did that. The wall heater, you need to turn it on & off at the bottom near the floor, I cannot do that + I forgot which way to turn it, the fumes are too much to handle. I asked my landlord for a wall heater box, I don’t know what it call, those little boxes, he made me believe that he was going to do it, but he never put one in.
I found some sites on disability rights.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 3:34 am

Look up the ADA site

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 5:53 am

Landlords can be pretty terrible to tenants, and particularly disabled tenants. They typically want to save on money and the purse strings don't come loose until their hand is forced in some way.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 2:12 pm

I doubt a disabled person could get a landlord to do much for them in Arkansas. The state law is the worst in the USA for tenants, and gives them no rights at all, except for one or two basic health and safety matters. So if ignoring disability was clearly going to lead to a definite and severe health issue, the tenant might have a case.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 2:12 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I doubt a disabled person could get a landlord to do much for them in Arkansas. The state law is the worst in the USA for tenants, and gives them no rights at all, except for one or two basic health and safety matters. So if ignoring disability was clearly going to lead to a definite and severe health issue, the tenant might have a case.

I think Kitty is from California.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 2:16 pm

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/face ... r=&article

(4) This subdivision does not require a person renting, leasing, or providing for compensation real property to modify his or her property in any way or provide a higher degree of care for an individual with a disability than for an individual who is not disabled.

(3) (A) A person renting, leasing, or otherwise providing real property for compensation shall not refuse to permit an individual with a disability, at that person’s expense, to make reasonable modifications of the existing rented premises if the modifications are necessary to afford the person full enjoyment of the premises. However, any modifications under this paragraph may be conditioned on the disabled tenant entering into an agreement to restore the interior of the premises to the condition existing before the modifications. No additional security may be required on account of an election to make modifications to the rented premises under this paragraph, but the lessor and tenant may negotiate, as part of the agreement to restore the premises, a provision requiring the disabled tenant to pay an amount into an escrow account, not to exceed a reasonable estimate of the cost of restoring the premises.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 4:40 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

I think Kitty is from California.

That might be helpful.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 10:03 pm

I hope things work out for you.