Sweden Clears Last Hurdle to Join NATO

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 6:39 pm

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/hungary-set-ratify-swedens-nato-accession-clearing-last-hurdle-2024-02-26/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 6:42 pm

Hungary has approved Sweden's bid to join NATO, the final hurdle to membership

Quote:
Hungary's parliament has approved Sweden's bid to join NATO, clearing the way for the Nordic country's accession to the military alliance after almost two years of intense negotiations.

Getting approval from the Hungarian parliament was the final hurdle for Sweden to joining NATO. In Hungary's parliament on Monday, 188 voted in favor and six against it, with five abstaining.

The two sides appeared to reconcile after two years of tough relations. They agreed on a deal in which Hungary will acquire four new Swedish-made JAS 39 Gripen jets.

Sweden is now close to becoming NATO's 32nd member, following its neighbor Finland, which joined the alliance last year.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 7:10 pm

Sweden FTW! Grestest country in the world! Their criminalization of hate speech is what I like best.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Feb 2024, 5:32 am

I love what it means to Baltic Sea.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2024, 5:05 pm

It's a little bit ironic that the main opponent to NATO is Russia.

Russia = Sweden?

According to one theory, “Rus” originates from the Scandinavian languages and reflects the belief that the first rulers of ancient Russia were actually Vikings.

If this version is true, “Rus” is just another term for “Sweden/Swedish,” like the Normans or Vikings were once referred to. “Rus” was used by foreigners to describe Slavic tribes ruled by the Vikings, and it stuck. “Rus” is close to today’s Ruotsi – which means “Sweden” in Finnish – so there’s some logic here.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 5:10 pm

BillyTree wrote:
It's a little bit ironic that the main opponent to NATO is Russia.

Russia = Sweden?

According to one theory, “Rus” originates from the Scandinavian languages and reflects the belief that the first rulers of ancient Russia were actually Vikings.

If this version is true, “Rus” is just another term for “Sweden/Swedish,” like the Normans or Vikings were once referred to. “Rus” was used by foreigners to describe Slavic tribes ruled by the Vikings, and it stuck. “Rus” is close to today’s Ruotsi – which means “Sweden” in Finnish – so there’s some logic here.

Obligatory Viking is a career, not an ethnicity.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 7:42 pm

Good for Sweden. Means we'll have all the more guns on our side if the shooting starts with Russia.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 10:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Good for Sweden. Means we'll have all the more guns on our side if the shooting starts with Russia.

Sweden is the country all others should emulate, especially the US, Russia, Hungary, Uganda, and all Muslim-majority countries.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2024, 12:18 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Sweden is the country all others should emulate, especially the US, Russia, Hungary, Uganda, and all Muslim-majority countries.

Agreed. We should be when it comes to a social safety net.