Car totalled tdy. Replacement recos?

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 2:50 pm

Had read some okder Priuses have issues with cooling fans for the battery..and or filter for same cooling system.
Just a FYI ......when you wrote about things needing replaced on a Prius ...My mind went straight to the main Power storage battery..And am hoping ! That is not the case .! .. :|

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 3:17 pm

the hybrid inverter system has been known to overheat/fail, on higher mileage/older Priuses.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 9:43 pm

Jakki wrote:
Had read some okder Priuses have issues with cooling fans for the battery..and or filter for same cooling system.
Just a FYI ......when you wrote about things needing replaced on a Prius ...My mind went straight to the main Power storage battery..And am hoping ! That is not the case .! .. :|

Already replaced. And the battery reconditioned and balanced reading 105% capacity. New brakes new tires etc it’s basically a brand new 18 year old Prius.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 1:24 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Already replaced. And the battery reconditioned and balanced reading 105% capacity. New brakes new tires etc it’s basically a brand new 18 year old Prius.

Nice... good buy ( score)....Actually sounds like a lucky find ... :mrgreen:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 1:33 am

Jakki wrote:
Nice... good buy ( score)....Actually sounds like a lucky find ... :mrgreen:

Thx!

Yeah def a score - “Touring” model, too, so a few upgrades + a few features our North American versions didn’t come with.

The guy I bought it from is a dealer. He’s semi retired and used to manage car dealerships and owned a large one in the USA at one point. He sold cars between various Asian countries and then imported Toyota trucks/SUV’s and then the next thing in demand was Priuses for the fuel economy.. he’s imported and sold over 300 of them over the last 5 years and has another 21 waiting at a dock in Japan for a ship to be available to sail them over. So, over the last 5 years he’s learned exactly what needs to be done to make them both pass inspection but Also be ready for a new owner w/o needing anything at all - so he preemptively does all required maintenance and parts swaps etc so they’re ready to roll.

If it had a sunroof that opened then it would be about perfect but w/e I can live without a sunroof (again lol) especially since I’ll put the big Thule box on top which would block more than half of a sunroof anyways.. and would block it on the right - which is the drivers side so w/e nbd not to have a sunroof on this car.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 6:20 pm

Been on a shopping spree to get the car kitted out and ready for regular service.

Ordered a seat cover kit from a Japanese company that’s shipping out of California. Robust non perforated black vinyl, the kind they sell for taxis. Expensive but will fit properly and look decent vs half the price for ill fitting universal kits.

Ordered custom floor mats from a local company called Manicci. They’ll cover almost the entire carpets to keep sand off of them and make it easier to vacuum up.

Ordered a cargo area black plastic/rubber like mat made by a German company shipping out of Texas to Washington State because it’s free shipping within the USA and I can travel about 1 mile South of the border to pick it up.

And if they have all the right used parts available I’m about to go buy the roof rack parts I need to get my BF Thule box mounted on top. Fingers crossed they have what I need and don’t have to keep shopping..

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2024, 9:47 pm

Wait..Wait ..think , i misunderstood ... You are turning a Prius... :D ...into a WorkTruck .. in disquise 8O ......
:D :D :D :D J/k

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2024, 10:13 pm

Jakki wrote:
Wait..Wait ..think , i misunderstood ... You are turning a Prius... :D ...into a WorkTruck .. in disquise 8O ......
:D :D :D :D J/k

Kinda sorta. Just as used my Dodge Dart.

Big Thule box on top, trunk/hatch area. I’ll pack fewer tools at a time to minimize dust inside the car tho.

Might get some “riser blocks,” 3D printed for the cargo area cover if there’s enough length to raise it up a few inches at the back = better concealing cover for 5 gallon buckets vs being taught overtop of them. Might have to lift up and move forward a hair - will measure dimensions for the mod sometime soon and get some :nerdy: to do it, ideally in matching beige plastic.

So it’s gonna be a bit of a work truck, but I Also have an actual truck to drive as needed when I need to transport benches and a baker scaffold or a lot of heavier materials but not enough to warrant paying for delivery etc. So no need to ruin the interior of this car. I also want it kept clean and good looking for other business use/“date nights,” etc too. If it was a beater with a heater I’d just f**k it up and jam stuff inside but it’s like brand new so making an effort to keep it nice.