why does she chew like that oh my gods

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FlintLovesBonnie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Feb 2024, 6:39 pm

oh my gods can you please close your mouth when you are chewing it is driving me crazy you get mad at me for my poor manners but chew like a toothless camel jesus christ

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2024, 7:04 pm

Who are you referring to?

FlintLovesBonnie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Feb 2024, 7:26 pm

mostly my mother, but just generally anyone who chews with their mouths open it is one of the most disgusting things (it also severely triggers my auditory sensory issues)

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2024, 7:32 pm

FlintLovesBonnie wrote:
mostly my mother, but just generally anyone who chews with their mouths open it is one of the most disgusting things (it also severely triggers my auditory sensory issues)

Anyone in their own home can do as they please - even chew /gasp, shocking but true. If it bothers you, there are other spaces you can occupy I'm sure.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2024, 7:36 pm

FlintLovesBonnie wrote:

It sounds like you have this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 1:10 pm

It's a tricky issue. Certain seemingly harmless things set some people off. You can request a change, but if they're going to find that cumbersome to comply with, they're unlikely to want to. And if your issue with it is unusual and you can present no evidence that it's real, they're unlikely to believe it's a problem. But yes, it often is real and it's often very annoying.

When people's behaviour sets me off like that, I usually try to avoid them or to figure out some practical way of screening myself off from the problem.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 5:51 pm

I think sometimes that my brother has misophonia, but he'd only flip out and yell at me whenever just the two of us were eating. He never did it when we ate with our parents, and they could be noisy eaters as well.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 7:23 pm

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Chew as obnoxiously as possible without going full-on parody until they get the point. If they're really dense, consider going full-on parody, but only after the more subtle mockery fails.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 7:28 pm

^ Make sure to add a few snorts here and there to the loud chewing noises. :lol:

Bestiola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Mar 2024, 7:02 am

FlintLovesBonnie wrote:
oh my gods can you please close your mouth when you are chewing it is driving me crazy you get mad at me for my poor manners but chew like a toothless camel jesus christ

Yeah, it's annoying as hell. I had some relatives who were also closely related to camels:

FlintLovesBonnie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Mar 2024, 8:05 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
FlintLovesBonnie wrote:

no I quite literally can't I have to stay until everyone finishes

On top of that, if I show even the slightest discomfort I get yelled at for being an "awful person". My ears literally hurt when exposed to certain noises. You're on an autistic forum. You should understand how sensory issues and mentally neglectful parents work.

people forget low support needs doesn't mean no support needs. I'm not allowed to wear earplugs/ear defenders around them because they deem it "dramatic".

Also, anyone in their own home should be safe from excruciating pain caused by other individuals. That is not an exaggeration either.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 9:18 am

This isn't an autism thing. You may be more annoyed by it than most, but by the time someone is an adult, they should have learned to chew with their mouth closed. If it's their KID that has to teach them, then so be it.

Bestiola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Mar 2024, 11:06 am

FlintLovesBonnie wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
FlintLovesBonnie wrote:

On top of that, if I show even the slightest discomfort I get yelled at for being an "awful person". My ears literally hurt when exposed to certain noises. You're on an autistic forum. You should understand how sensory issues and mentally neglectful parents work.

people forget low support needs doesn't mean no support needs. I'm not allowed to wear earplugs/ear defenders around them because they deem it "dramatic".

Also, anyone in their own home should be safe from excruciating pain caused by other individuals. That is not an exaggeration either.

Geez, hope you can get out of there ASAP. Sounds like hell.

Eating alone can be such bliss.

FlintLovesBonnie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Mar 2024, 12:10 pm

Bestiola wrote:
FlintLovesBonnie wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
FlintLovesBonnie wrote:

For me though, this is an autism thing (or potential misophonia I suppose). It isn't just annoyance. There are manythings that annoy me. This is a sound that clouds my brain in the most painful way as if someone is stabbing it with a push pin, which is how it feels with my other auditory sensory issues.

Bestiola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Mar 2024, 4:21 pm

FlintLovesBonnie wrote:
Bestiola wrote:
FlintLovesBonnie wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
FlintLovesBonnie wrote:

For me though, this is an autism thing (or potential misophonia I suppose). It isn't just annoyance. There are manything :? s that annoy me. This is a sound that clouds my brain in the most painful way as if someone is stabbing it with a push pin, which is how it feels with my other auditory sensory issues.

I think I can relate, even if it doesn't bother me to that degree, but any sound of lip-smacking, slurping, loud breathing or even people kissing makes me want to put sticky tape on them. I got off public transport a few times (before reaching the station) because of such sounds, they're unbearable. So, yeah it's quite cruel what your family is putting you through. :?

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 11:47 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
It's a tricky issue. Certain seemingly harmless things set some people off. You can request a change, but if they're going to find that cumbersome to comply with, they're unlikely to want to.

The love of my life. I love the sound of his voice, the feeling of his hugs, I even love the smell of his bad breath. -but I would die happy if I never have to hear him whistle ever again. It's so loud and terrible sounding. It feels like dragging my teeth on concrete.