Homeless dude in my front yard

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 1:50 pm

Go out and introduce yourself to this person not necessarily using your real name even., let him know you live there, explain , neighbours are complaining to you about his chosen pLace to inhabit ..advise thst you cannot be his , defense against these people . And all the while carry a large baseball bat in one hand , as if to make it look like you are attempting to hide it behind your thigh , hanging down your side . .. or a. yard work devise , such as a rake or chsinsaw, :twisted: ...or even just a broom .
Let him know , that he is trespassing , on this property, " police will ask you if you told him ? that he was trespassing ?
When youreport it , if asked by police always say you have slready told him, he IS trespassing . (regardless .) 8O
If necessary , you might even admit to him threatening you ..whether he has or not " Not meant as legal advise"
not advocating lying , but if you are property dweller legally , police will defer to your opinion.

where ever you go ,there you are

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 2:49 pm

I'd be a bit worried if I had a homeless person camping out in my yard to be fair. I'm not at all sure what I would do either.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 12:11 am

AWE GO OUT AND OFFER HIM COFFEE... then ask how you can help him ...on him way ...? :| :ninja:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 3:48 pm

Oh I don't know about that Jakki. You must be a lot more trusting of people than me.

I have given to the homeless out in the street before now but Id be wary of doing that in my own back yard.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 4:08 pm

Was just offering different ideas about how to deal with the situation ..?...from varying extremes .. often people whom are willing to intrude on others peoples space . Can be considered to be victimizers, imho. So then , it appears ..
they are not afraid of anyone coming back on them. So if you do something that does not fit the profile of a victim.
Then those people might learn to expect confrontation , if they try to take advantage of you or the next person .
Dometime beingout if character for your own Peace of mind for a short, might benefit you , and if they believe you are willing to involve the police. Then they might be less likely to want trouble . But Life can be challenging . And sometimes , if you feel strong enough, and you watch ,how your situation "is " might be worth taking a chance ..
To suffer alittle snxiety for a little while . Snd obviously , the situation has already made you anxious ..? So balancing your current state of being , vs. stepping up to the plate for yourself ..If bafly worried , invite a friend or someone over, when you invite the homeless person to leave.. bad questionable people ? do not like witnesses. or bright lights at night .

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 1:49 pm

Strange question, but where on earth do you live that homeless people chilling out in your front yard is actually reality and not a Monty Python sketch? Do you live in California by any chance?

I'm from the UK and problems like this would be considered as comical as they are annoying.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 3:22 pm

It is not a joke, homeless people are appearing in many places across the USA for all sorts of reasons, but this particular homeless person camped out on your (sister's) property make him a problem. First, do not approach, that is not wise for many reasons. Trespassing laws can be enforced, and the proper enforcers are the police. residents and property owners are not expected to deal with this on their own, and evictions or trespassing problems should be handled by trained authorities. Do not put yourself in danger, do not attempt to deal with this alone. Your sister as the property owner should be the one registering the complaint with the police. Leaving lights on (the porch at night) inside, playing loud music, may be enough to discourage outsiders from hanging around in your front yard. But do not endanger yourself by attempting to deal with this alone. People advising you to befriend him, feed him, approach him are not using common sense and are giving very bad advice. this is a situation involving laws that are already in place and can be used to move him on to someplace where he will feel less comfortable. Call, report, every single time he sets foot on your property. Ask for your sister's help if the local law enforcement ignores your calls or is unresponsive.
Your personal safety is the most important issue here, don't put yourself in jeopardy of injury or lawsuits by trying to approach this individual yourself. Time to call in the professionals!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 1:29 pm

Jakki wrote:
Was just offering different ideas about how to deal with the situation ..?...from varying extremes .. often people whom are willing to intrude on others peoples space . Can be considered to be victimizers, imho. So then , it appears ..
they are not afraid of anyone coming back on them. So if you do something that does not fit the profile of a victim.
Then those people might learn to expect confrontation , if they try to take advantage of you or the next person .
Dometime beingout if character for your own Peace of mind for a short, might benefit you , and if they believe you are willing to involve the police. Then they might be less likely to want trouble . But Life can be challenging . And sometimes , if you feel strong enough, and you watch ,how your situation "is " might be worth taking a chance ..
To suffer alittle snxiety for a little while . Snd obviously , the situation has already made you anxious ..? So balancing your current state of being , vs. stepping up to the plate for yourself ..If bafly worried , invite a friend or someone over, when you invite the homeless person to leave.. bad questionable people ? do not like witnesses. or bright lights at night .

Yeah I know you was offering a solution.

I think it's a bizarre situation to be in to be honest and I wouldn't want to have to deal with it

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 1:55 pm

autisticelders wrote:
this is a situation involving laws that are already in place and can be used to move him on to someplace where he will feel less comfortable.

Three serious questions from someone not familiar with the "American mindset" (so no rethorical or polemic answears, please!):
1. What's the point of moving him to a LESS comfortable place - wouldn't he be less likely to return if moved to a MORE comfortable place?
2. Are homeless people, even when not trespassing, viewed as some kind of criminals in the US?
3. What is considered the "proper way" for homeless people in the US to live their life - are there public spaces where they can spend the time without other people being offended or feeling threatened by their presence?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 2:44 pm

I was wondering if this person may feel a bit safer camping out in someone's yard rather than on the street.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 10:54 pm

Certainly appears one of my posts here in reply to someone ,asking if being homeless in the US might be criminal or some such..And i gave a very thorough break down of the homeless peoples and the average situation in the USA .
And personal experiences and indepth knowledge of large numbers , i have had to deal with , or had the actual pleasure of knowing them and the contrasts and the prevalence of one type in majority now versus , early real life perceptions.
And repeated observations of groups and individual amongst them ..And had personal knowledge of !
APPEARS to have been removed, without informing me . But other posts to this thread were left . ??.
""What the Hec ""... but the post i replied to , is still here. . As if to protect veiwers from the hardcore realities of the situations i have veiwed repeated over many years in the places, i have lived .And having been homeless aswell for short period of my life.
Must admit to suspect of the post I responded to? was I [[[Censored ?]]]