Why does kiss have such a bad reputation?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 3:33 pm

nick007 wrote:
Their song Christine Sixteen comes to my mind. I kinda doubt that's the main reason people tend to dislike Kiss. A bit of the people I've known who hated Kiss were big Ted Nugent fans & Nugent did a song called Jailbait :eew:[/quote]

But it's not just KISS. It was common back then and probably still is. The average groupie isn't 25, they are more likely 15-16. The band Dr Hook also wrote a song about a 16 year old involved with a older man, Billy Idol sang about a 16 year old, and Elvis of course went further by marrying a 13 year old.
We have no idea what goes on after concerts. Sometimes it's better for parents not to know.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 6:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:
But it's not just KISS. It was common back then and probably still is. The average groupie isn't 25, they are more likely 15-16. The band Dr Hook also wrote a song about a 16 year old involved with a older man, Billy Idol sang about a 16 year old, and Elvis of course went further by marrying a 13 year old.
We have no idea what goes on after concerts. Sometimes it's better for parents not to know.

I'm quite certain that was Jerry Lee Lewis.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 6:26 pm

MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Correct - Lewis married his 13 y/o cousin. However, Elvis did first meet Priscilla when she was 14 (he was 24 at the time), even if they did wait till she was older to actually marry.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 1:35 am

MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Corrected, But Elvis was doing the same in his "green room:"

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 5:18 am

cyberdad wrote:
MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I can remember when musicians were young women's #1 sexual fantasy. For some reason, it seems as though nowadays, musicians are less iconic in that role, being just one sort of celebrity among many others (actors and footballers for example) that might attract some sort of groupies. The popular music scene doesn't seem quite what it was in the 70s and 80s, but that might just be my age.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 5:20 am

MaxE wrote:
I can remember when musicians were young women's #1 sexual fantasy. For some reason, it seems as though nowadays, musicians are less iconic in that role, being just one sort of celebrity among many others (actors and footballers for example) that might attract some sort of groupies. The popular music scene doesn't seem quite what it was in the 70s and 80s, but that might just be my age.

This is why the Weinstein/Epstein thing made me roll my eyes. Everyone knew powerful and famous people were doing exactly the same thing, not just those two creeps.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 5:32 am

Since other people were as*holes, does that mean that Weinstein and Epstein shouldn’t have been punished?

Are people in this thread referring to 13 year olds as “young women?” Times have changed because we have better laws to protect children and a better understanding of child abuse, including the harm it causes. Child abusers are obviously still out there though.

cyberdad wrote:
But it's not just KISS. It was common back then and probably still is. The average groupie isn't 25, they are more likely 15-16. The band Dr Hook also wrote a song about a 16 year old involved with a older man, Billy Idol sang about a 16 year old, and Elvis of course went further by marrying a 13 year old. We have no idea what goes on after concerts. Sometimes it's better for parents not to know.

When it comes to illegal activity/relationships, it’s always best for parents to know, so they can take steps to protect their children.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 07 Mar 2024, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 6:33 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Since other people were as*holes, does that mean that Weinstein and Epstein shouldn’t have been punished?

Are people in this thread referring to 13 year olds as “young women?” Times have changed because we have better laws to protect children and a better understanding of child abuse, including the harm it causes. Child abusers are obviously still out there though.

I am saying all of them were doing it. Epstein and Weinstein went to jail. Woody Allen and Roman Polanski seem to somehow evade scrutiny.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 6:36 am

Woody Allen and Roman Polanski have received a lot of scrutiny although it’s true that they haven’t been punished.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 6:39 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Woody Allen and Roman Polanski have received a lot of scrutiny although it’s true that they haven’t been punished.

By the legal system.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 6:51 am

How many white celebrities have actually gone to prison for doing with an underage person something that wouldn't be considered illegal if both were 18 or older? It's my impression that in the US, only black men get convicted. Traditionally, when teenage brides were commonplace, they would just force the man to marry her.

EDIT I think the legal system would tend to want to protect the man (and the girl's reputation) in that case, if both were white.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 7:40 am

MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The reputation rock stars had made them hero fantasy figures for teenage boys. While the '70s was the height of the sexual revolution/"do anything if it feels good" era your average teen boy was what they always have been raging hormones and too awkward to "get any".

Cock rock

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 9:56 pm

Every band gets put down by some people.

Me, I just didn't relate to their music, which seemed like rather weak, hackneyed songwriting, and their visual presentation also put me off because I suspected they were using it to distract people from noticing that their sound wasn't very good. I guess I didn't give them a very fair chance, but there are so many bands that if I gave them all a fair chance then I'd never get anything else done. If the first song doesn't impress me, I usually move on, unless somebody persuades me not to. As for what they did in their private lives, it's got nothing to do with the music so I don't care.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 10:21 pm

That has puzzled me for a while. I remember being at a party; I liked their song Strutter and the host told me to put on some music. I put on the Kiss tape that had this song. The host came and removed it immediately and told me that wasn't cool; it was bubblegum music and put on something else I remember thinking "if their music is so uncool, why do you own their album?"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 2:44 am

You have to remember that KISS had an army (Kiss army) which were the first real fanatic uber-fans.

Nowadays it's common for bands/singers have such an armada of lunatic/fanatic fans. For example Niki Minaj superfans are called "Barbz"

Korean super group BTS fans are called the BTS army

Even Taylor Swift has fanatics called Swifties.

All of these superfans have in common a tendency to be toxic and venomous when they think their icon is being made fun off in social media.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Mar 2024, 12:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
You have to remember that KISS had an army (Kiss army) which were the first real fanatic uber-fans.

Nowadays it's common for bands/singers have such an armada of lunatic/fanatic fans. For example Niki Minaj superfans are called "Barbz"

Korean super group BTS fans are called the BTS army

Even Taylor Swift has fanatics called Swifties.

All of these superfans have in common a tendency to be toxic and venomous when they think their icon is being made fun off in social media.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition