Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 12:53 pm

Cheaper to look for a remote place on the earth...

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 2:17 pm

misha00 wrote:
I am only asking because I feel that in maybe 8-10 years (rough estimate) it might not be worth living on this planet anymore.

You may be right, but you won't be living in space (at least not for long) by then.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 8:44 am

DanielW wrote:
And how do you propose to feed and provide enough clean air and water for so many people? So far, we don't have adequate technology to build a successful closed eco-system.

How much time do you intend to stay in space? Vision loss, heart damage, muscle atrophy, bone density issues are all a direct consequence of a micro-gravity environment.

And what about the radiation issue?

Earthlings have evolved to live on the earth. Until we can replicate those conditions either in space or on another planet...we are stuck here,

Food can be grown if you have the right mix of elements in the soil. They already grow some food on ISS. Rock often contains oxygen. Space based solar is possible and easier to use in space than gathering it in space than trying to beam it back to Earth. There are many times the total energy that hits Earth available in space for space based solar. Given enough energy converting mass from one form to another has many possibilities. Including radiation shielding and habs that spin to create gravity-like conditions. Don’t forget that acceleration and gravity have the same effect on mass. Wobble is a problem but again there are energy and mass available so options open up. Since ISS exists it is hard to argue humans cannot live in space or that we don’t have the technology.
Also many of the protests you raise might shorten someone’s life but not end it. People with pioneering motivations or refugee motivations could give it a try.
Not sure about how this would avoid/address a Terminator or Battlestar Galactica scenario but I leave that to OP to add details to.

https://humans-in-space.jaxa.jp/en/life ... pace/life/

https://www.nasa.gov/exploration-resear ... -in-space/

Last edited by Fenn on 07 Mar 2024, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 9:01 am

If you put a population into space, there are lots of things to consider.

1. We rely on oxygen and we would need a team of experts who would need to keep enough oxygen all the time
2. Also, traveling in space means survival and that would include figuring out how to ration food
3. Unless you circle a star system, similar to our sun, I recon these ships would have to rotate it and be close enough to create a greenhouse effect so we could grow our food. However, you probably would have to have a material strong enough to sustain the heat from this star system.
4. Remember, there is no gravity in space unless these experts can somehow create artificial gravity

In space, lots of scientists have looked at suspended animation, and if I recall right, someone ran some tests but discovered that suspended animation wasn't able to last very long. However, I don't know much about the latest research in terms of cryo chambers.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 9:14 am

Fyi

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeri_Polyakov

He is the record holder for the longest single stay in space, staying aboard the Mir space station for more than 14 months (437 days 18 hours) during one trip.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 9:30 am

misha00 wrote:
I am only asking because I feel that in maybe 8-10 years (rough estimate) it might not be worth living on this planet anymore.

Well if thats "ONLY" why you're asking then you're f****d.

A space ship would not be a solution.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 9:57 am

First of all, there are lots of things to consider as space is a very dangerous place, which not going to be like Guardians of the Galaxy or Star Trek.

1. You would need some sort of fuel or form of energy to make the ship go
2. Inside the ship, you would have to have a never-ending supply of oxygen
3. The internal temperature would have to be not only comfortable but also stable at all times
4. Not to mention food supply
5. Could an engineer potentially create a greenhouse on the ship with artificial sunlight, rain, lightning (Which has nitrogen) that can help with soil and plants
6. Could they potentially rotate a cooler star system like our sun to create the greenhouse effect?
7. You also have the factor of gravity, could scientists create an environment with artificial gravity

misha00
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2024, 4:41 pm

maybe some type of AI or a simple computer program could figure out how to make the technologies less expensive.

the question then is, do we want to take the bold risk of exploring the universe?

who knows what might find us, or what we might find?

misha00
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2024, 4:51 pm

actually we wouldn't need to "explore" we could just have a ship that stays put

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 6:34 pm

Space is dark all the time and I cannot even begin to imagine the rates of depression. I would think that one who lives on a ship like that would need light therapy.

However, again, where would these ships receive their resources for energy to power the ships? Solar panels for a cooler star?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 7:01 pm

misha00 wrote:
maybe some type of AI or a simple computer program could figure out how to make the technologies less expensive.

So, your plan to save us from the AI threat is with more AI? :scratch:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 7:49 pm

Fenn wrote:
Since ISS exists it is hard to argue humans cannot live in space or that we don’t have the technology.

Its actually really easy. Even aboard the ISS, astronauts are subject to vision loss, cardiac damage, and bone de-mineralization. Astronauts also have about 500 days before they receive too high a dose of radiation to remain in or go back to working in space. And thats with the radiation shielding tech we have available now even with the protection afforded the station by the earth's magnetic field.

I'm not saying humans can never go there, but there are significant issues we have to learn to overcome first.

Where you aware that lunar soil for instance is toxic to earth's plant life? The same has been said of Martian soil as well.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-022-03334-8

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 7:59 am

Were you aware that plants already grew in lunar soil?

https://www.nasa.gov/humans-in-space/sc ... unar-soil/

Or that mass can work as a radiation shield as well as Earth’s magnetic field?

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/200 ... 020691.pdf

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 8:46 am

funeralxempire wrote:
misha00 wrote:

Yes, keep trusting AI to do the thinking. Nothing bad can come from that.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 8:48 am

Nasa scientist grows potatoes with no soil at all

https://www.nasa.gov/science-research/n ... ood-crops/

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 8:58 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
misha00 wrote:

Yes, keep trusting AI to do the thinking. Nothing bad can come from that.

Come on QC

A rebellion is always legal in the first person, such as "our rebellion." It is only in the third person - "their rebellion" - that it becomes illegal.

Ben Franklin

Substitute “AI revolution” for “rebellion” and “dangerous” for “illegal”.

Not saying there shouldn’t be controls or limits, but not all Science is bad all the time. Similarity not all Science is good all the time. Even Computer Science. Even AI Computer Science.

One smart man ties a knot, another smart man unties it..