dishonest capitalist culture is inherently abelist

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2024, 5:42 am

Attempt at a theory. Feel free to critique or add!

In order to meet most of your needs in today's world you need money.
Money is universally obtained by convincing others to give you money in small negotiations.
You can either do it honestly by doing hard work and solving someones problem,
or you can trick the other person, exploiting their psychological vulnerabilities to charm, distract, bribe, intimidate, overwhelm
your way into getting the other person to make the transfer.

Unfortunately in a world where leaders are unaccountable faceless short-term thinkers, and people are inherently vulnerable, short term trickery is a faster and easier way to wealth. Once you have wealth it becomes even easier to not only make wealth but also make laws enforced by poor ill-educated violent people to help you make even more.

In such an environment one has to be good at fine-grained fast-paced social-psychology, compartmentalizing trust for some things but not others, compartmentalizing information for some people, scenarios, but not others.

This is a nightmare for autistics (it's a nightmare for everyone really...), who excel in long-term hard tasks that require determination, deep, abstract thinking, repeatability and do not have the innate psychological toolkit of the NT because they are different.
To make matters worse, unlike a guy in a wheelchair, most can mask, so they do not look as if they need any aid.

What is needed is either :
- a "social wheelchair" to increase autistic awareness, mapping high frequency social interaction into a medium that is understandeable to the NT
- a shift in cultural environment away from dopamine-fueled gambling culture, away from the dishonest grifting, wage theft, to the honest investment in socially constructive behaviour.

Thoughts on teams: people always have spiky profiles, skills and strengths in a range of areas. Why not collaborate with people who are good at social stuff.

In my experience this hasn't worked. It should serve as an indicator that many autistics end up being abused by their own families - people who are most likely to have their interests at heart. I can think of a few reasons why.
- It takes a lot of work to understand the nature of autism.
- Culture emphasizes being a "boss", dominating and using others is seen as cool and even a sign of empowerment in mainstream feminist media. This tends to create a marginalizing dynamic unless teammates are highly enlightened.
- NTs enjoy playing tricks and bullying people (bit divisive but it's true).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 6:04 am

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
dishonest capitalist culture is inherently abelist
In other news, liquid water is still wet.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 9:05 am

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
- Culture emphasizes being a "boss", dominating and using others is seen as cool and even a sign of empowerment in mainstream feminist media. This tends to create a marginalizing dynamic unless teammates are highly enlightened.

This is what I care about most.
The initiative of this system is to enable everyone to participate in work, whether actively or passively.Moreover, the boss will try his best to reduce the cost for his own benefit, which objectively promotes the development.On the negative side, it encourages deception.The poorest tramp is lazy, as is the richest capitalist.Many office workers complain that wages only cover the minimum of food and entertainment, so they deliberately reduce productivity.

The job of boss should disappear when it is ensured that workers are willing to work without boss supervision.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 9:21 am

People generally exchange their time and labour for money, and sometimes the labour that they do requires various skills.

I get the impression that you feel that autistic folk are disadvantaged by capitalism and its culture and that the odds are stacked against autistic folk in the workplace, whether due to discrimination or due to a lack of access/support/barriers that are put up by NT's unnecessarily.

I would agree with this assessment, though I can't see anything changing any time soon.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 9:40 am

Like it or not we live in a culture that worships money. I feel it is up to each individual to practice the "golden rule" even if it is not reciprocated. If someone is a billionaire they have more money than they could spend in a 100 lifetimes. It should be viewed as a sickness in the same category as alcoholism, etc. instead of applauded and worshiped.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2024, 9:47 am

> Like it or not we live in a culture that worships money

The problem for me is that it is pretty hard to "opt-out".
If you start to do things because you care about them, you are seen as less worthy by the corporate sphere,
so you are paid less, which means you own less, people start using you to pay their loans (eg all the renter people who own like 50 houses),
if you ask for help from anyone it is seen as them doing you a favour and they use it against you, anything you need like housing or
food is used as a way to prey on you, and if you end up broke it's your fault for not caring about the career ladder.

If you try start business you still have to answer to the banks or the investors to instill the same
type of BS onto your subordinates. (Broadly speaking, there are some calm corners..)

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 9:55 am

^Yes, you really found the unreasonable part of your life, so do you have any ideas to change it?

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2024, 10:22 am

Sure, working on some things.

It's a pretty hard fight because a lot of it goes contrary to the direction of the world right now, which seems to become increasingly authoritarian, violent and right-wing, and these messages are all around us constantly gaslighting us. Also, politics is definitely not my strong point, too vague.

What about you?

Last edited by __Elijahahahaho on 04 Mar 2024, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 10:23 am

We are a small minority so any system will be designed for NT’s and harm us in different ways.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 11:10 am

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
Sure, working on some things.

It's a pretty hard fight because a lot of it goes contrary to the direction of the world right now, which seems to become increasingly authoritarian, violent and right-wing, and these messages are all around us constantly gaslighting us. Also, politics is definitely not my strong point, too vague.

What about you?

I have a set of outdated ideals about "work together, distribute according to needs".
Worker_cooperative
A failed attempt

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 11:54 am

Yes.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2024, 4:06 pm

Quote:
I have a set of outdated ideals about "work together, distribute according to needs".
Worker_cooperative
A failed attempt

Yeah I am thinking of setting up something like this for teachers in my country.
They are struggling and it is such an important industry.
It seems an easy first step that isn't illegal.

I was hoping to flesh out a deeper understanding of the dynamics though, and put it into a kind of manifesto.
Also get over some anxiety issues, but I suppose the project may help.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 5:26 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
People generally exchange their time and labour for money, and sometimes the labour that they do requires various skills.

I get the impression that you feel that autistic folk are disadvantaged by capitalism and its culture and that the odds are stacked against autistic folk in the workplace, whether due to discrimination or due to a lack of access/support/barriers that are put up by NT's unnecessarily.

I would agree with this assessment, though I can't see anything changing any time soon.

This has sort of how it's always been though I imagine, even back in the stone age.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 7:04 pm

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
Dishonest capitalist culture is inherently abelist.
The only part to this claim I find objectionable is 'dishonest'.

Capitalism is only a system wherein the owners of the means of production hire others to do the work for them, and then reap the profits of their labors.  No dishonesty there.  They own the factories, they pay you to work in the factories, they own what you produce in their factories, and they can sell what they own at a profit over their costs.

It's up to you to negotiate a higher wage, if you can.  Be aware that there will likely be someone else able to do more work for less pay.

So yes, capitalism is ableist; but then, so is Communism.  Even the Christian Bible teaches "The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat." (2 Thessalonians 3:10, NIV)

The 'dishonesty' comes in when employees work less than what they agreed to, or when the owners pay less than what they agreed to.  Otherwise, all else being equal, Capitalism is one of the most honest economic systems there is.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 1:15 am

I think the dishonesty is in the claim how meritocratic it is.

The achievements and outcomes are more likely based on where you came from and how your upbringing goes around the matters of money -- how well connected this person is, how persuasive and how money smart this person will be because of how business savvy people around you were.

Not how hard the individual makes out of it.
Anyone can work hard. Anyone can work harder, study harder -- and still nothing.
Be NT and be abled bodied; they still can stay poor and struggling. Ableism is just the most visible bits of the issue.

Just like no matter how good your arts are, it's nothing without attention of any audience, the luck to go viral and nothing without some connected person who would advertise it.

Anyone who claimed that it is meritocratic is an outlier -- an exception, not the rule.
There are more of those who don't make it than those who do.

The claims of EQ; communication, persuasion, relationships management...

Of course, it's an autistics' nightmare and that's just the basics of winning attention and perceived good/safety when it came to turning anything into money.
Let alone the details of workplaces, how complicated paperwork can be, and so forth, and anything related to a person's functioning levels, energy levels, sensory profiles, cognitive profiles...

Unless this person is lucky enough to have someone else play the stupid games for them -- a literal secretary/rep for a social support crutch of a person who can play all the political bits for them.
They're not autism advocates, but are the types who can pit against the usual mindgames in socializing.

But that's not exactly possible.
These type of people tend to be bosses, if not have their own life, and are usually not under someone else -- let alone if that someone is autistic.
:lol: Anyone who does have a person like this is very privileged as an autistic. Likely very rich or very lucky.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2024, 4:22 am

Quote:
I think the dishonesty is in the claim how meritocratic it is.

That's exactly it. The unfortunate truth is the value of the EQ stuff and the dishonest tactics involved are more effective and important than being good.

Autistics need a kind of mini-lawyer to follow them around and manage the mind-games.

Or we can change the entire social environment to value long-term investment, then I think the mind-games become less useful because these guys are not gonna show results over decades. We needed longterm thinking for
the climate crisis and many other things, so there is demand there, it's just hard to enact that kind of social change.