Parent of ASD looking for resources

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jeb54321
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2024, 12:02 pm

My name's Jim, and I have a 24 year old son, AJ, on the spectrum.

We have a number of challenges, but social anxiety seems the be big thing right now.

My son enjoys computer games. MMOs are too extreme for his sensibilities (its like being in crowded room) and he's anxious around strangers. That said, he prefers playing with small groups, as long as they are "trusted". However, we don't have any close family or friends that fit that bill.

I'm seeking support organizations that can provide a safe zone for him to meet others and play online that keeps him in his comfort zone. I'm just starting to kick the tires on this. We've managed till now, but he's starting to outgrow dear, old Dad as a playmate.

Nice to meet you all! (eventually)

Jim

jeb54321
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Mar 2024, 11:23 am

A little more...

Social anxiety is our current hurdle.

But how do you make friends if you are afraid to meet new people (strangers)?

My son wants to have close, reliable friends to game and chat with, but he's terrified of being judged by strangers.

He's very excited about the new Helldivers 2 release, but he freaks out and logs out when strangers join his party.

I'm looking for places that can help match up people based on gaming interests in a safe, comfortable way.

Please share if you have any ideas on how to bootstrap an aspy in to being more social.

Thanks!

Jim

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 11:54 am

What is his exact fear when he's being judged by people? Is he afraid that they're going to be mean to him because he's autistic, or that he is not the best socially?

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 3:04 pm

Do you know about "meetup.com"?

I saw you are from Ma. and did a quickie search.

It is not clear if he wants to meet people in person to game or if he is trying to find online partners. You can also search adult autism social support groups on the web , and if they don't fit, you can ask other locals to help you find something that does work for you /him.

https://www.meetup.com/find/us--ma--boston/gaming/

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 3:07 pm

I joined FB interest groups and made friends that way, first meeting and interacting with others who have the same interest in an online Facebook (FB) group, then eventually meeting with one or a few "in person" to do interest related things .

Now I have several others who I can contact if I want to do something, and usually somebody has some time on their schedule that matches with mine. This is nothing that happens immediately, but over some time as we get to know each other online first, then eventually meet for some interest related activity.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson