Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 3:16 pm

How many hours a day should you play video games?

I played resident evil 4 remake today for 3 hours. Is that excessive?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 3:20 pm

If you have time to spend and it doesn’t interfere with other things you need to do or goals you want to accomplish, I say: play for as long as you’d like.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 3:27 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
If you have time to spend and it doesn’t interfere with other things you need to do or goals you want to accomplish, I say: play for as long as you’d like.

Okay that sounds good advice

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 4:54 pm

For me, if I play too long, the visual stimuli for some reason results in an increased incidence of tics as part of Tourette's Syndrome.

I try to only play a maximum of 3 hours or so within a 24 hour window, but sometimes play a bit more than that.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 5:04 pm

Sometimes I can play for 14-16 hours a day if I don't disect it by coming on the tablet. (Though after a couple of years of playing 4+ hours a day on the same game the novelty eventually starts wearing off so I go down to two hours a day. I tend to find just one or two games (Usually one) and stay on it. Think this is normal?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 5:09 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Sometimes I can play for 14-16 hours a day if I don't disect it by coming on the tablet. (Though after a couple of years of playing 4+ hours a day on the same game the novelty eventually starts wearing off so I go down to two hours a day. I tend to find just one or two games (Usually one) and stay on it. Think this is normal?

I think it is an autistic thing to play the same game repeatedly. It's like a repetitive behaviour/a ritual, almost.

I started out playing certain games to death when I was a young teenager.

But when I got into my twenties I started playing all kinds of different games.

One of the reasons for that is that until my early twenties, it would feel difficult to learn the controls of a new game, whereas when I reached my twenties I was able to adapt very quickly to new controls and have been able to since that time.

I guess the more I have played video games, the easier it becomes to switch controls.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 6:07 pm

I usually do one level/chapter/episode at a time unless it's something that has to be played in a single sitting or get really sucked in like when I play an RPG and grind.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 6:14 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I think it is an autistic thing to play the same game repeatedly. It's like a repetitive behaviour/a ritual, almost.

One of the reasons for that is that until my early twenties, it would feel difficult to learn the controls of a new game, whereas when I reached my twenties I was able to adapt very quickly to new controls and have been able to since that time.

I guess the more I have played video games, the easier it becomes to switch controls.

You get your moneys worth if you play the same game a lot

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 6:47 pm

Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

My third hand controller has just started playing up. I think I wear them out! :D

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 7:33 pm

Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

True.

I find it difficult to imagine how a person can enjoy playing a game for thousands of hours, however. A couple of hundred or so is a limit for me, even with a very good game.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 1:49 pm

Depends on the game

I can spend about 2ish hours playing a game im trying out or 100 hours on minecraft

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 2:42 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

True.

I find it difficult to imagine how a person can enjoy playing a game for thousands of hours, however. A couple of hundred or so is a limit for me, even with a very good game.

Milktalk and I play the same racing car game later in the evenings, though I played it for about two to three years before he did, so I am a higher level with a few more cars.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 7:27 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
True.

With racing sims you need a fair bit of seat time to build and maintain competence.

Each car handles a bit different unless they use the exact same physics values, so to get the most out of different cars it helps to have a high degree of familiarity.

Usually with road courses I'll put in a few hours of practice, with ovals I tend to just give myself 30 minutes.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 5:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
True.

With racing sims you need a fair bit of seat time to build and maintain competence.

Each car handles a bit different unless they use the exact same physics values, so to get the most out of different cars it helps to have a high degree of familiarity.

Usually with road courses I'll put in a few hours of practice, with ovals I tend to just give myself 30 minutes.

I think the closest I have come to playing a racing sim is probably Dirt 2.0 (2017 release, I think). It definitely wasn't arcade like, but I am sure there are more accurate racing sims out there than that one.