Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 3:16 pm

How many hours a day should you play video games?

I played resident evil 4 remake today for 3 hours. Is that excessive?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 3:20 pm

If you have time to spend and it doesn’t interfere with other things you need to do or goals you want to accomplish, I say: play for as long as you’d like.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 3:27 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
If you have time to spend and it doesn’t interfere with other things you need to do or goals you want to accomplish, I say: play for as long as you’d like.

Okay that sounds good advice

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 4:54 pm

For me, if I play too long, the visual stimuli for some reason results in an increased incidence of tics as part of Tourette's Syndrome.

I try to only play a maximum of 3 hours or so within a 24 hour window, but sometimes play a bit more than that.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 5:04 pm

Sometimes I can play for 14-16 hours a day if I don't disect it by coming on the tablet. (Though after a couple of years of playing 4+ hours a day on the same game the novelty eventually starts wearing off so I go down to two hours a day. I tend to find just one or two games (Usually one) and stay on it. Think this is normal?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 5:09 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Sometimes I can play for 14-16 hours a day if I don't disect it by coming on the tablet. (Though after a couple of years of playing 4+ hours a day on the same game the novelty eventually starts wearing off so I go down to two hours a day. I tend to find just one or two games (Usually one) and stay on it. Think this is normal?

I think it is an autistic thing to play the same game repeatedly. It's like a repetitive behaviour/a ritual, almost.

I started out playing certain games to death when I was a young teenager.

But when I got into my twenties I started playing all kinds of different games.

One of the reasons for that is that until my early twenties, it would feel difficult to learn the controls of a new game, whereas when I reached my twenties I was able to adapt very quickly to new controls and have been able to since that time.

I guess the more I have played video games, the easier it becomes to switch controls.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 6:07 pm

I usually do one level/chapter/episode at a time unless it's something that has to be played in a single sitting or get really sucked in like when I play an RPG and grind.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 6:14 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I think it is an autistic thing to play the same game repeatedly. It's like a repetitive behaviour/a ritual, almost.

One of the reasons for that is that until my early twenties, it would feel difficult to learn the controls of a new game, whereas when I reached my twenties I was able to adapt very quickly to new controls and have been able to since that time.

I guess the more I have played video games, the easier it becomes to switch controls.

You get your moneys worth if you play the same game a lot

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 6:47 pm

Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

My third hand controller has just started playing up. I think I wear them out! :D

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 7:33 pm

Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

True.

I find it difficult to imagine how a person can enjoy playing a game for thousands of hours, however. A couple of hundred or so is a limit for me, even with a very good game.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 1:49 pm

Depends on the game

I can spend about 2ish hours playing a game im trying out or 100 hours on minecraft

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 2:42 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

True.

I find it difficult to imagine how a person can enjoy playing a game for thousands of hours, however. A couple of hundred or so is a limit for me, even with a very good game.

Milktalk and I play the same racing car game later in the evenings, though I played it for about two to three years before he did, so I am a higher level with a few more cars.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 7:27 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
True.

With racing sims you need a fair bit of seat time to build and maintain competence.

Each car handles a bit different unless they use the exact same physics values, so to get the most out of different cars it helps to have a high degree of familiarity.

Usually with road courses I'll put in a few hours of practice, with ovals I tend to just give myself 30 minutes.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 5:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
True.

With racing sims you need a fair bit of seat time to build and maintain competence.

Each car handles a bit different unless they use the exact same physics values, so to get the most out of different cars it helps to have a high degree of familiarity.

Usually with road courses I'll put in a few hours of practice, with ovals I tend to just give myself 30 minutes.

I think the closest I have come to playing a racing sim is probably Dirt 2.0 (2017 release, I think). It definitely wasn't arcade like, but I am sure there are more accurate racing sims out there than that one.