When was the first time you got in trouble for being "rude"?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ShyHylian64
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2024, 6:53 pm

In other words, what's the earlier memory you have of someone (i.e. a parent) getting mad at you for being accidentally rude?

For me, although I'm sure it happened a lot more earlier on, I remember being in elementary school at my dad's office, and his boss said hello to us. I slightly turned in his direction but stared at the floor and nodded. My boss's daughter was there too. After a few minutes my dad got upset with me for not making eye contact and being personable. For me, I thought I was being personable by acknowledging him with a nod. I didn't know I needed to be audible or look in a specific direction.

This went on to happen many times over, but with different people and circumstances.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 1:08 am

At the age of 5 when I started speaking in full sentences. That's the first time I've been called rude and it's been happening ever since.

theboogieman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2024, 12:16 pm

I doubt this is the "first", but one of the earliest examples was in fourth grade, I was tapping my fingers on the teacher's desk (I sat in a desk touching hers) and she blew up on me for being incredibly rude and disrespectful.

At the time I didn't understand why, but now I realize that she thought I was doing that "I'm waiting" finger tap, and she thought I was being impatient on the task she was doing.

Another one that was earlier was in kindergarten when two classmates asked me to write their name on the brick wall outside on the playground. I wrote it in pencil so I could immediately erase it after. A teacher ran up and started yelling at me for "vandalism" and "defacing school property" and I was saying "I wrote it in pencil to erase it" and that only made them more upset.

I was accused of "talking back" to adults as a kid, but didn't understand how and when that was a bad thing.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 1:54 pm

"don't you look at me like that when I speak to you". I learned to look downat my feet or to the side/looking at the ground of anybody, especially when addressing "superiors",any adults.
Eye contact was considered insolent.
First time I can remember was maybe 2 or 3 years of age.
By age 5 I was fully trained to avoid eye contact....

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 3:23 pm

I'm so sure that I actually point blank swore at my greatgrandfather around age 4-5.
At most, I remembered him being outright stunned, the rest is blurry.

Because I don't know what swearwords were for.
Only that I highly likely kept hearing it from my parents.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 8:07 am

I remember not knowing that it was rude to stare at people. If someone was doing something I thought was interesting, or if I was trying to figure out what they were doing, or even if I just thought their clothing was interesting to look at, I would just look at them and not imagine there was anything wrong with doing that, until i was told not to stare, and at first I didn't even understand what that meant.

Now I'm so careful not to look at people that if I was ever called as a witness to a crime I would in no way be able to identify the person responsible.