Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Mar 2024, 10:38 pm

Does stress cause an early period? Mine came 3 days earlier than it was supposed to. I had a very stressful experience in a store on Sunday which has caused me stress through today. I'm wondering if it's the cause of my early period. This is not the first time my period has been early. It's frequently either early or late. Oddly enough, my symptoms aren't that bad this month compared to last though. Last month my head was throbbing for almost two days (this is extremely rare for me), I couldn't sleep, and I was exhausted. Although, I guess last month was stressful too. Today, I just have some mood swings and mild cramps. Laying under my electric blanket and gently rubbing my tummy helps soothe them. Any thoughts on this?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 11:49 pm

Exes I've had have typically commented on stress causing their period to be delayed.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 1:42 am

I’ve only heard of or experienced periods coming late due to stress. However, I found some articles which demonstrate that stress can make them come early too.

Quote:
High levels of stress can cause either more frequent periods or completely missed ones, says Dr. Masterson, because the hormones that trigger your ovaries to ovulate every month originate in the brain. Basically, when you’re swamped at work or worrying a lot (especially if it’s causing you to get less sleep), those hormones can misfire and affect your cycle, she says.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/ ... one-month/

https://www.healthline.com/health/women ... rly-period

In any case, it might be something to talk to your doctor about.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 2:59 pm

Maybe the onset of your early period was what caused you to feel stressed. It's like a viscous circle sometimes.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 6:01 am

Your periods (if you're not on birth control) should come exactly two weeks after ovulation. Stress and illness can delay ovulation, so they tend to delay periods. Stressful event that happened a couple days ago could not affect ovulation.

If your symptoms feel different it is likely you didn't ovulate this cycle.

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2024, 7:07 am

y-pod wrote:
Your periods (if you're not on birth control) should come exactly two weeks after ovulation. Stress and illness can delay ovulation, so they tend to delay periods. Stressful event that happened a couple days ago could not affect ovulation.

So then, when causes an early period by 2 or 3 days?

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2024, 7:25 am

Yes, stress can cause an early period (or withdrawal bleed on hbc). Even with my Mirena I get spotting & bleeding when I'm stressed, but normally I don't have any periods on it.

Stress can also delay a period. These variances are normal unless they occur often.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 6:32 am

playgroundlover22695 wrote:
y-pod wrote:

So then, when causes an early period by 2 or 3 days?

You could have ovulated early. That's not unusual. :)