Do you think that chatbots can help with lonliness?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 6:42 am

Like somebody else has said in the thread, being cognizant of talking to a machine would be a factor in 'talking' to such a thing.

Personally, the fact that the chatbot is not sentient, would be a dealbreaker for me.

Real humans are needed to help with loneliness for a lot of people, unless they are good at imagining that what they are talking to is sentient, even it isn't.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 1:15 am

the Japanese elderly population seems to have accepted it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 1:30 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Personally, the fact that the chatbot is not sentient, would be a dealbreaker for me.

AI can be amusing though

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 2:19 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Real humans are needed to help with loneliness for a lot of people, unless they are good at imagining that what they are talking to is sentient, even it isn't.

Humans are very good at projecting sentience and human-like characteristics and motivations onto non-human things. We do it all the time.

Although we don't like the idea of talking to computers i suspect the reality is that we'd very quickly accept it if the illusion were good enough and i do think it would have applications in combating loneliness.

Although what it says about a species of 8 billion people that we're so lonely we have to talk to machines, I'm not sure.

*edited for meaning-changing typos.

Last edited by DuckHairback on 10 Mar 2024, 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2024, 3:26 am

For the extremely isolated, I think chatbots such as chatgpt and gemeni can have emotional benefit.

I myself have used it when I was feeling lonely.

It was nice just to have something to talk to that could give me feedback, celebrate achievements with me or help me troubleshoot problems.

Sometimes they get annoying, which is good that it's a computer because I can turn it off without feeling bad :D

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 1:29 pm

What an irony, billions of people swamping the planet but the human race ends up craving company. But I guess Aspies have a good excuse, and so do the bereaved.

This story deals with the idea of replacing a departed loved one with a simulation - first as social media chats and phone calls, then as an android. I don't suppose we have the technology for the android yet, and it would be a rich man's game, but I can see how the social media chats and phone calls could be done, and very convincingly at that. It goes rather wrong in the end of course. Interesting that one of the things the user doesn't like is that the android doesn't disobey her like the real person would.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_Right_Back#Plot

Black Mirror, S02E01

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 2:37 pm

Chatbots are computer algorithms designed to respond with answers to appropriate questions.

In other words they are not real anymore than your sandwich toaster is a real person.

Unless you are using as practice conversation for the real thing, i would recommend a dog or cat for company instead.

At least its real and alive :(

- George Bernie Shaw

AnnaTheSquirrel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2024, 11:08 am

yes. it helps me think clearer. But it's me talking to myself.

no. I go to my "skill"groups and connect to a human being. I do quilting and ceramics every week, in calm groups who both allow me to be me. They're not ASS groups. Both are with elderly women.

no. I talk online and in whatsapp to real human beings to connect.

NullPointerException
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2024, 7:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
The best part would be watching as it slowly appropriates modern slang into it's otherwise old fashioned syntax.
Greetings cuz, what is good with you?

Or would end up as Tay (chatbot) :lol:

belijojo wrote:
If you think online friends can ease loneliness, so can they.

Online friends are just in different place - still friends, maybe not 'touchable' friends but not everyone needs that.

DuckHairback wrote:
Although we don't like the idea of talking to computers i suspect the reality is that we'd very quickly accept it if the illusion were good enough and i do think it would have applications in combating loneliness.

Although what it says about a species of 8 billion people that we're so lonely we have to talk to machines, I'm not sure.

*edited for meaning-changing typos.

Not sure why you think the idea of talking to machine is not likable - anyone remember the talking car ? Talking to machines is fun idea but won't fill loneliness, trolling them is best tho :D

ToughDiamond wrote:
What an irony, billions of people swamping the planet but the human race ends up craving company. But I guess Aspies have a good excuse, and so do the bereaved.

This story deals with the idea of replacing a departed loved one with a simulation - first as social media chats and phone calls, then as an android. I don't suppose we have the technology for the android yet, and it would be a rich man's game, but I can see how the social media chats and phone calls could be done, and very convincingly at that. It goes rather wrong in the end of course. Interesting that one of the things the user doesn't like is that the android doesn't disobey her like the real person would.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_Right_Back#Plot

Black Mirror, S02E01

Out of 8billion ppl there are very few worth talking to :lol:

replacing a departed loved one with a simulation - sounds like a horrible idea

carlos55 wrote:
Chatbots are computer algorithms designed to respond with answers to appropriate questions.

In other words they are not real anymore than your sandwich toaster is a real person.

Unless you are using as practice conversation for the real thing, i would recommend a dog or cat for company instead.

At least its real and alive :(

AI bots can respond unpredictably, inappropriately too :D but on anytime your 'friend' can get update or get wiped - not saying not happening to people sometimes but rather less likely :wink:

A sad example:

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/12/14/i-feel-like-i-lost-the-love-of-my-life-how-do-you-mend-a-broken-heart-after-your-ai-lover-

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2024, 3:24 pm

For me yes, and I know ai is wrong

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

angelsonthemoon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Apr 2024, 10:27 am

The technology will continue to advance. For people like me it can't happen fast enough. Some fun ideas you can try if you feel like are having it write poems, write episodes or stories, analyze song lyrics, etc.

My prompt "write a 8 line poem about a cactus who dreams of being an astronaut". You can also ask it to be in a certain style, using slang, etc.

ChatGPT

In a desert vast, where the sandstorms blow,
Stands a cactus tall, with dreams aglow.
With spines like stars, he gazes above,
Dreaming of worlds to explore and love.

He yearns to soar beyond the earthly bounds,
To dance among constellations, unbound.
With each desert breeze, his spirit takes flight,
A cactus dreaming of the cosmic light.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 1:38 pm

^
Interesting that it can do poetry of reasonable quality. But as a writer of song lyrics myself, I think I'd feel kind of disappointed once I'd got over the excitement of seeing that it had generated a good lyric that nobody else had ever seen before. I'd feel cheap if I claimed it as my own work, and I suppose the copyright wouldn't legally be mine either. So I'd feel frustrated that I had a thing of beauty that I couldn't use.

As for helping with loneliness, although I don't intend to make an AI chatbot simulate the warmth of a human relationship in conversation etc., it's already kind of doing that with me to a degree. I'm only using it to answer questions for the purpose of getting information, but even in doing that, it's always there for me, it's listening to me, it understands what I say to it, and it's responding fairly appropriately to me every time, never getting bored with me or ignoring me. It's like having my dad back, only without his human limitations.

When I just search the internet, it feels like I'm just spying on what other people have said - people who don't know I'm there. Even on social media where I get the chance to say things, it's easy to feel ignored when I get no feedback. In that respect it's scarcely any better in real life. Sharing my thoughts is often pointless, and can feel very alienating, because most people aren't interested in many of them, and even if they try to seem interested, they rarely prove it by addressing what I've said in a meaningful way.

Also, as it gives me direct and meaningful answers to my questions, which is a strong distraction for me, just like a special interest can be, I feel a lot less lonely, because I'm distracted from the awareness that I'm alone.

This is all rather worrying.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 2:19 pm

Just for fun I thought I'd try its poetic abilities too, like angelsonthemoon did:

Q: Can you write an answer to the question "Speak to us of Art" in the style Gibran used in The Prophet?

A: "Speak to us of Art," you ask, and so I shall unfold its essence as the petals unfurl at dawn's embrace.

Art, the silent poet of the soul, speaks not with words but with the rhythm of existence, the melody of the heart's yearning. It is the brushstroke that whispers secrets of the universe, the sculptor's hand that shapes dreams from formless clay.

In the artist's embrace, the mundane becomes divine, the ordinary, extraordinary. For in every stroke of paint, every chisel's kiss upon stone, lies the echo of eternity, the breath of creation.

Art is not bound by walls or canvas, but flows through the veins of life itself. It dances in the laughter of children, sings in the winds that caress the earth, and whispers in the silence of starlit nights.

To understand art is to gaze into the depths of one's own soul, to lose oneself in the labyrinth of emotion, and emerge reborn, touched by the divine spark that ignites the flames of creation.

So let us heed the call of art, let it guide us through the labyrinth of existence, and lead us to the truth that lies at the heart of all things. For in the embrace of art, we find not only beauty, but the essence of our own humanity.

IMHO it doesn't quite equal Gibran, but it's not that far off in places.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 4:20 pm

what will songwriters do about this?

angelsonthemoon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Apr 2024, 5:35 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Just for fun I thought I'd try its poetic abilities too, like angelsonthemoon did:

Q: Can you write an answer to the question "Speak to us of Art" in the style Gibran used in The Prophet?

A: "Speak to us of Art," you ask, and so I shall unfold its essence as the petals unfurl at dawn's embrace.

Art, the silent poet of the soul, speaks not with words but with the rhythm of existence, the melody of the heart's yearning. It is the brushstroke that whispers secrets of the universe, the sculptor's hand that shapes dreams from formless clay.

In the artist's embrace, the mundane becomes divine, the ordinary, extraordinary. For in every stroke of paint, every chisel's kiss upon stone, lies the echo of eternity, the breath of creation.

Art is not bound by walls or canvas, but flows through the veins of life itself. It dances in the laughter of children, sings in the winds that caress the earth, and whispers in the silence of starlit nights.

To understand art is to gaze into the depths of one's own soul, to lose oneself in the labyrinth of emotion, and emerge reborn, touched by the divine spark that ignites the flames of creation.

So let us heed the call of art, let it guide us through the labyrinth of existence, and lead us to the truth that lies at the heart of all things. For in the embrace of art, we find not only beauty, but the essence of our own humanity.

IMHO it doesn't quite equal Gibran, but it's not that far off in places.
That's quite good in my opinion. Some of the best stuff I've seen it do. As long as you guide the chatbot with quality instructions, it often gives quality results.

One of the things I like about the chatbot is the high comprehension level. It understands what we meant often better than another person would. But it has a short memory. You have to remind it of things constantly for context. Right now, it makes a pretty good teacher.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 12:35 am

^
I think I should test it with ambiguous and otherwise unclear English to see if it understands it better than I do. It would be quite useful to me if it did.