Finding other Aspies at college?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

streets_ahead
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2024, 6:35 pm

My son is in college and was really hoping to make a fresh start with new people and make some friends after a rough time in high school. He is not having any luck. There are no clubs or organizations listed specifically for neurotypical students. Does anyone know about ways to connect with other students on campus who may have similar situations?

timf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 12:41 pm

If he has a high IQ, he might join Mensa.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 3:49 pm

why must he interact only with others with ASD? I find I have no more in common in general with individual autistic folks than I do with the general population. He is likely to find social activity by joining interest groups and looking for those who are new to the group too. There are lots of special interest groups on campus and likely more groups off campus in the community around the college. He can look for others who enjoy the same things he does, and if he is in a larger urban area he is likely to find autism support groups nearby off campus, if that is the sort of social group he craves. Getting active in whatever interests please him the most (movies, art, stage, model trains, photography, hiking, politics, nature study and conservation, astronomy, astrology, music, camping, computers, cars, fishing, role playing games, you name it) he is very likely to find others who share interests and enthusiasm and make connections through shared interest activities.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 2:30 pm

I agree. I have not heard a lot of success stories about autist clubs that were centered on autism.

Just get him to hang around some interest themed places at his school.

I also recommend a simple and I think underrated tactic: Wear interest based t-shirts. I myself am married to who I would describe as a Power Autist who attracted me 30 years ago with his colorful and daring wardrobe. Have your kid wear some kind of shirt or ballcap that is highly clever and hard to find. Someone else who is interested in his special thing will be amazed and strike up a conversation with him.