Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 11:25 pm

What kind of rumors and gossip did someone spread about you?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 11:30 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
What kind of rumors and gossip did someone spread about you?

Oh boy. All sorts over the years. Mostly I get people saying things on the internet about me that aren't true.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 9:53 am

I am finding that most people gossip about others like that because they either want attention or because they want to think it's the hip social convention. Also, most people who gossip will stab everyone in the back. However, people like that are usually toxic individuals.

I have had people spread some nasty things about me which I am not comfortable sharing. On the other hand, I developed a crush on someone who was not a good friend. I even heard him talking about me one time and he said some horrible things about me. However, I found out that he likes to deceive people and then gossip for attention. He also lies all the time.

I also worked with someone like that who also pretended to be a friend but she was quite deceptive. She not only made up things about me but made fun of me with her family and other co-workers. Again, I think she had a serious issue with lying. She would also lie when she didn't need to.

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

03 Apr 2024, 4:43 am

Doesn't most gossip and rumour mills occur without the subject of the gossip knowing about it? Either way, I wouldn't have noticed or cared.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 2:27 pm

People like to gossip because they are either bored or want attention. Others do it because they are threatened by someone and try and hurt them.

j_k
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Apr 2024, 3:00 pm

If anyone has, I don't know. When I hear gossip, usually I'll let the person get it out, then let them know it's none of my business (or something along that line).

On another note, though, "gossip" is a bit of a loaded word. It implies negative, but that doesn't have to be the case. Can we start a positive gossip movement? (I'm joking here, but just to combat the negative gossip,)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 3:07 pm

I don't mind a bit of gossip, it breaks the day up especially if you're at work and it's really really boring

On the other hand some people are toxic and that's when gossip can turn dangerous

It was put around my office that I was a racist. It's quite hard to fight that kind of accusation so I just had to ride it out. Eventually people saw what was actually going on... unfortunately for me the damage had already been done

j_k

03 Apr 2024, 3:18 pm

I'm sorry. That's a hard one to repair the damage (if at all). My girlfriend, and our roommate too, have had issues with our local art and music community along similar lines, and it has made it very hard for them to get the opportunities showcase or perform locally. When "harmless" gossip affects your ability to earn income, take care of yourself, meet your basic needs, etc., that is sh-tty, and unacceptable. I'm glad people did see the truth and who you are, but like you said, the damage was done.