Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kpopmultistan20
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Mar 2024, 6:49 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I hope you have found these:
- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ)
- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (abbreviated to AQ) Registering is optional!

Thanks for the links. I got 36 of 50 on the first one and it says 33 to 50 is likely to be autistic
file:///C:/Users/osp15/Downloads/Autism%20Spectrum%20Quotient%20(AQ).html
I've taken the second one before and I got like a 117 of 200 (87%?) or something that time but this time I got 137 of 200 which is a whole 98% :?
https://rdos.net/pdf/1646312082909303431767022/quiz.pdf

Not sure what to make of this data

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 9:06 pm

kpopmultistan20 wrote:

We can't read this, this is a file on your hard drive. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 9:34 am

My AQ score was what convinced me to seek a formal assessment. Your score would also have convinced me to do that.

But not if I was a teen.

A teen who is doing OK might be better off without an official label. Some bullies would see it as an official "KICK ME" sign. Some opportunities would see it as "Just assume this person is messed up and stay away from them" warning.

Personally, I'd suggest you assume that you are probably a high-functioning Autistic and use the Internet and the library to learn about Autism and coping techniques...which you can do without an official label.

Do well for 20 years or so and, if all indications still suggest Autism, then get a formal diagnosis. It would certainly be interesting, possibly useful, but much less likely to be a hindrance. By that point people will already know you are weird but you can still stand on your credentials to get respect.

That's just my opinion.

(Oh. But maybe keep good records to help with the assessment if you ever get one.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 11:04 am

Double Retired wrote:
A teen who is doing OK might be better off without an official label. Some bullies would see it as an official "KICK ME" sign. Some opportunities would see it as "Just assume this person is messed up and stay away from them"

Disclosing is a choice. Autism diagnosis are private medical records. By law one has to sign a release form before they can be released.

Some people need an expert confirming their suspicions, others don’t.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 1:17 pm

Well based on your writing here ...Welcome to WP , weirdness, seems to be a extra qualifier on this here Planet. :D

where ever you go ,there you are

kpopmultistan20
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Mar 2024, 1:51 pm

Jakki wrote:
Well based on your writing here ...Welcome to WP , weirdness, seems to be a extra qualifier on this here Planet. :D

Thanks :D From what I can see every one of us here can identify as weird in one way or another :P

kpopmultistan20
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Mar 2024, 3:09 pm

Double Retired wrote:
My AQ score was what convinced me to seek a formal assessment. Your score would also have convinced me to do that.

But not if I was a teen.

A teen who is doing OK might be better off without an official label. Some bullies would see it as an official "KICK ME" sign. Some opportunities would see it as "Just assume this person is messed up and stay away from them" warning.

Personally, I'd suggest you assume that you are probably a high-functioning Autistic and use the Internet and the library to learn about Autism and coping techniques...which you can do without an official label.

Do well for 20 years or so and, if all indications still suggest Autism, then get a formal diagnosis. It would certainly be interesting, possibly useful, but much less likely to be a hindrance. By that point people will already know you are weird but you can still stand on your credentials to get respect.

That's just my opinion.

(Oh. But maybe keep good records to help with the assessment if you ever get one.)

I do fine in life and based on this I don't think getting an assessment now would do me much good, so I'll stick to researching for now :) If I'm still like this in a few decades then maybe I'll consider a diagnosis but for now I think not, I'll just continue living my teenage life without a label of this type.

kpopmultistan20
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Mar 2024, 3:10 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
kpopmultistan20 wrote:

Oops is there a way to upload a photo/screenshot of my result thing?

kpopmultistan20
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Mar 2024, 3:14 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
A teen who is doing OK might be better off without an official label. Some bullies would see it as an official "KICK ME" sign. Some opportunities would see it as "Just assume this person is messed up and stay away from them"

Disclosing is a choice. Autism diagnosis are private medical records. By law one has to sign a release form before they can be released.

Good to know, but if my diagnosis comes back positive then are teachers allowed/required to know? Will it somehow be known by other students at school, or do those things only happen if I want them to?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 1:17 am

kpopmultistan20 wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

But not if I was a teen.

That's just my opinion.

I do fine in life and based on this I don't think getting an assessment now would do me much good, so I'll stick to researching for now :) If I'm still like this in a few decades then maybe I'll consider a diagnosis but for now I think not, I'll just continue living my teenage life without a label of this type.

This could be a Prudent choice ...if you are not having issues masking your way along so far, if indeed you do turn out to get a Autistic Diagnosis. Or get it done privately , and get a copy of the report . Not everyone thinks Autism is a good thing . If you follow the older more established ways of thought ? 8O 8O .

where ever you go ,there you are

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 5:58 am

kpopmultistan20 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

Good to know, but if my diagnosis comes back positive then are teachers allowed/required to know? Will it somehow be known by other students at school, or do those things only happen if I want them to?

What Are Reasonable Accommodations for Students With Disabilities?
Quote:
The ADA only requires schools to accommodate a student if they are aware of the need, so parents and students are responsible for disclosing the student’s disability to the school and requesting an accommodation.

The teachers should only know if the student applies for an accommodation. That is the American law. If you live elsewhere research the laws in your country.

There is no 100 percent guarantee that teachers and parents will discuss the child's disability with somebody they should not, or that somebody overhears such a conversation. If you do not want to disclose make sure you let your parents know you do not want this discussed with anybody you do not approve of.

If you do not disclose you will be treated and expected to react as a neurotypical. If you do receive accommodations classmates will probably find out.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 3:39 pm

kpopmultistan20 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
kpopmultistan20 wrote:

Oops is there a way to upload a photo/screenshot of my result thing?

A free image host should work.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 3:44 pm

Sometimes it is possible to get an accommodation without a diagnosis.

Just politely request a small change. For instance, say something is making it hard for you to concentrate.

Before I knew I was Autistic I adjusted my environment so it was more comfortable for me...without citing a diagnosis.
For instance, I asked not to share an office with a guy who was often making strange nasal noises.
Or, I kept my office door partly closed.
Or, I had a headphone and played music I liked.
Or, I had fidget toys on my desk.

kpopmultistan20
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2024, 9:02 pm

Jakki wrote:
kpopmultistan20 wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

But not if I was a teen.

That's just my opinion.

This could be a Prudent choice ...if you are not having issues masking your way along so far, if indeed you do turn out to get a Autistic Diagnosis. Or get it done privately , and get a copy of the report . Not everyone thinks Autism is a good thing . If you follow the older more established ways of thought ? 8O 8O .

I'd assume there are many people out there who definitely do not see autism as a good thing and at this point in my life where I'm kinda fine without special treatment I don't think getting a diagnosis is something I'll be doing any time soon, just researching on the web and being on WP :D

kpopmultistan20
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2024, 9:05 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
kpopmultistan20 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

What Are Reasonable Accommodations for Students With Disabilities?
Quote:
The ADA only requires schools to accommodate a student if they are aware of the need, so parents and students are responsible for disclosing the student’s disability to the school and requesting an accommodation.

The teachers should only know if the student applies for an accommodation. That is the American law. If you live elsewhere research the laws in your country.

There is no 100 percent guarantee that teachers and parents will discuss the child's disability with somebody they should not, or that somebody overhears such a conversation. If you do not want to disclose make sure you let your parents know you do not want this discussed with anybody you do not approve of.

If you do not disclose you will be treated and expected to react as a neurotypical. If you do receive accommodations classmates will probably find out.

I do live in the USA
I'll probably stick to the way things are now because with a diagnosis and special accommodations life might just get more complicated and I'll be more of a weird kid than I already am :P

kpopmultistan20
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2024, 9:09 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Sometimes it is possible to get an accommodation without a diagnosis.

Just politely request a small change. For instance, say something is making it hard for you to concentrate.

Before I knew I was Autistic I adjusted my environment so it was more comfortable for me...without citing a diagnosis.
For instance, I asked not to share an office with a guy who was often making strange nasal noises.
Or, I kept my office door partly closed.
Or, I had a headphone and played music I liked.
Or, I had fidget toys on my desk.

Hmm good idea but might be awkward because I think that'd be kinda obvious special treatment, like if another classmate asked for special stuff I would be curious about it. Now I dunno how others think because I've found out that I think certain things are interesting and others do not, so who knows, but to me it feels too obvious for some scenarios. But I think music/fidgets can be less attention-drawing especially if we are allowed to use headphones so I'll try that :D