Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 3:37 pm

NY parents fight for son with autism who was banned from children's section at library

Quote:
A suburban New York family is fighting to get their son with autism access to their local library, because even though he loves spending time in the children's books section, one library is refusing to let him in.

Poetry, fairy tales, animal adventures — all sorts of children’s books bring enjoyment to Matt Maillet, a 31-year-old who developmentally is closer to a 5-year-old.

"Matt has Prader-Willi syndrome, he has autistism. He’s very autistic. He’s got the mind of a kindergartener but he’s got the body of a teenager," said his father, Dan Maillet. "He doesn’t really fit in the kid world and he doesn’t fit in the adult world."

The children’s section at the West Harrison Library in Westchester County was a favorite place for Matt, complete with its atmosphere, activities and music program. But earlier in March, Matt and his caregiver Kayla Brown were asked to leave.

"He was sitting in a chair waiting for me to bring him books and they came up with the rules and said Matt was no longer allowed to be there because he was an adult," Brown told NBC New York.

She has since started an online petition challenging the library’s policy which states no one over the age of 12 can use the children’s room unless they are accompanying a child. Brown said she’s brought Matt to the library several times and he’s never had issues or disturbed anyone. He just enjoys the environment.

"He loves to be around the kids, it makes him happy. He loves to hear their voices, watching them play, he needs to be included too," said Brown.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 4:15 pm

I couldn't help but think of this.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 8:04 am

so much for the idea that libraries are places for the open minded argh!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson