Feeling Different/ Emotional Paralysis

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2024, 3:54 pm

I was wondering is it normal for Aspies to still have traces of Low Function? in regards to being in our own world? I get confused because I know what's going on and am hyper aware, I can communicate although at times issues, yet feel I can't connect emotionally. I can focus for hours on what I am doing or my own agenda, and get ''lost''. I am far from perfect, I do feel I have OCD, Bipolar, Emotional Unstable, Quick to cry or get angry, yet I can still somehow get dates, but I still feel ''off'' or ''odd'' I get very upset because even my father wonders if I am ''with it'' and even the doctor said years ago, oh forget him he's on another planet or I wonder if he is from planet Earth. I at times leave my job upset and or depressed, wondering why I can't communicate, especially with the women I work with, I often feel emotionally paralyzed

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 5:11 pm

yes, its fairly common to have struggles with communication, it is one of the things we must have to get diagnosed as autistic.

Sorting emotions, recognizing them in ourselves and others, expressing emotions in healthy ways, can be tough too, due to the processing struggles some of us might have.

Not everybody who is autistic has the same exact struggles, but many of us struggle with communication, emotions, self expression, social interaction. See articles about sensory processing, depending on which processing struggles we have, it covers almost all the things you have described in one way or another.

You are definitely not alone.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 5:19 pm

Those are textbook symptoms of ASD. Functioning labels are useless, because no matter which end of the ASD spectrum you are on, your ability to function with vary from dy to day and will also be different in different environments and situations.