Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MLF
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2024, 5:45 pm

OK, I'm already having trouble trying to figure out how to use this site. Are there directions somewhere? How do I search for a topic? Am I supposed to post everything related to autism in that general section or under the other topics?

I'm a middle-aged woman whose psychiatrist said, "eh, you may have some Asperger's" which told me he knows nothing about it since that's not even a diagnosis in the U.S. My therapist is oscillating between autism, BPD, C-PTSD, and something else. I don't feel comfortable with self-diagnosis and I can't afford an assessment.

So, I don't know what to do. I'm in a Facebook group but I just feel stuck and frustrated.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 6:04 pm

I would suggest pressing the forums button first then once you find a topic you like press the new topic button

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 6:25 pm

Welcome!

Here is an online test for adults, both male and female,
https://embrace-autism.com/raads-r/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3134766/
The Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale-Revised (RAADS-R): A Scale to Assist the Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Adults: An International Validation Study

This is an old site running on "auto-pilot" for many years.
The people who created it don't actively manage it as far as I can tell.
But it can be a useful resource for those on the spectrum.
Many of us get stressed by sensory overload, such as loud movies and concerts.
I bought high fidelity earphones to wear. :D

When I first joined this site an assessment would have cost $1500 and I decided I didn't need an official diagnosis. I have special gifts that could be most easily be explained by having autism.

Hokulea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2024, 9:34 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 10:59 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

You feel frustrated. Someone thought you might have Asperger's Syndrome. That is interesting. I am an Aspie and in general, many of us have been able to operate with society. We have some disabilities but we also have some strengths. The Aspie traits are generally males. This is because females have learned to blend in with others and hide the fact that they are different. We are a very small percentage of society. Some of us are extremely intelligent with I.Q. much higher then the norm.

So the first point is there are several tests that you can take over the internet that can give you an assessment. It is not official. But it is a fairly good analysis and it is NO COST. It is Free. Take some of these tests and see how you score.

You wrote, "but I just feel stuck and frustrated." Well if you are an Aspie, you have the ability to self learn. There are plenty of books and internet information available that describe some of our traits and our hidden abilities.

MLF
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2024, 11:49 am

OK, thanks everyone. I think I did the Embrace Autism test already, but I don't have it saved, so I'll do it again and the other one suggested. I think being a high-masking adult female makes the tests not come out correctly, but maybe it could give my therapist somewhere to start. The "symptoms" of autism, BPD, and C-PTSD all look similar, although the causes are not the same and neither is the treatment.
And yes, I am smart, or at least I used to be smart in school. But I'm not confident and that gets in the way of me making any kind of self-diagnosis.
If anyone else has books, videos, or assessment tests they can recommend, please do so. Thanks.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 1:31 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you resolve your uncertainties in a way you find satisfactory.

I hope you have also found these online quizzes:
- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (abbreviated to AQ)
- Aspie Quiz Registration is optional!
Which, of course, cannot give an official diagnosis.

From what I've seen here, official assessments would likely cost roughly $2K, plus or minus.

Part of the cost might be covered by your health insurance. (Mine covered about half...even though I went to a psychologist outside their network.)

Even without a formal diagnosis I hope you find WP helpful and interesting, and stay around.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 3:36 pm

ask question here, lots of experienced folks can give useful insights and info, learn all you can , there are articles, posts, blogs, studies, videos, podcasts, and so much more "out there" Choose a topic and do a search. Lots of good links will come up. The more you learn about autism, finding diagnosis and adjusting to life after diagnosis (or self discovery) the better you will be able to sort your past and your personal strengths and weaknesses. It can take a lot of time , but the changes you can make in your own life once you know and understand yourself and the ways your autism works in you, can be so helpful. 5 years after diagnosis at age 68 and I am living my best life ever. Knowing and understanding about autism and my own "brand" of autism has made all the difference. Welcome, glad you found us.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 3:57 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 4:55 pm

Welcome to WP from a fellow Texan!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 10:41 am

Welcome to WPea :mrgreen:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 12:29 pm

A doctor once told me that he thought I was on the spectrum about 25 years ago. I didn't believe him back then because no one explained to me what autism actually was, as in those days on TV one only ever saw severe cases of physically handicapped people.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 12:48 pm

Welcome to WP! :alien: