Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 1:53 am

It's Florida. Go figure.

I don't know what it is with people down there. Maybe there's something in the water or the hurricanes that happen every 12 minutes. I hope it not the oranges. But it looks like they're more homophobic than ever and want everything to be like it was in the 1940s, which would really not be a good thing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 1:59 am

not only homophobic but also ableist as hell against anybody who can't get rich quickly and easily.

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2024, 6:52 am

My parents live in Florida, and had a chance to move out. I'm not on speaking terms with my parents, but my sisters are about to move there for work. None like it in Florida but .. there they are.

It amazes me that people will voluntarily live in a place that is against everything they claim to believe in. I won't be visiting any more for sure.

I do feel bad for the people stuck there for any reason and can't move.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 8:13 am

Many Americans are too poor to just pick up and move.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 8:21 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
It's Florida. Go figure.

I don't know what it is with people down there. Maybe there's something in the water or the hurricanes that happen every 12 minutes. I hope it not the oranges. But it looks like they're more homophobic than ever and want everything to be like it was in the 1940s, which would really not be a good thing.

So you basically think everyone in Florida is the same?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Mar 2024, 9:37 am

AnanstrixG wrote:
My parents live in Florida, and had a chance to move out. I'm not on speaking terms with my parents, but my sisters are about to move there for work. None like it in Florida but .. there they are.

It amazes me that people will voluntarily live in a place that is against everything they claim to believe in. I won't be visiting any more for sure.

I do feel bad for the people stuck there for any reason and can't move.
One of my cousins is a nurse & has lived in Florida for a year working at one of their hospitals about 15 years ago. She really liked their governor who I'm sure I woulda hated. For the last 5 years now at least she's been living & working in Texas & I think she really likes their governor as well. Me & my extended family grew up in a hard-core conservative neighboring state, Louisiana & both my parents are liberal but half of my extended family are conservatives. The politics were one of the factors about why I moved to Vermont to be with my girlfriend instead of having her move to Louisiana thou we both wish we coulda moved to Canada.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 9:52 am

What do you expect from a trump clone as governor?

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2024, 9:55 am

nick007 wrote:
One of my cousins is a nurse & has lived in Florida for a year working at one of their hospitals about 15 years ago. She really liked their governor who I'm sure I woulda hated. For the last 5 years now at least she's been living & working in Texas & I think she really likes their governor as well. Me & my extended family grew up in a hard-core conservative neighboring state, Louisiana & both my parents are liberal but half of my extended family are conservatives. The politics were one of the factors about why I moved to Vermont to be with my girlfriend instead of having her move to Louisiana thou we both wish we coulda moved to Canada.

I was born/raised in Maryland, which wasn't bad. I ended up in Atlanta, GA and moved to Alabama for my wife. Now we just bought land and are stuck here, but at this point, I'm just ready to stop moving around. I'd love to have moved but her career-job is here (it is where she was born). Alabama is ... well not as bad as Florida or Texas ... but not really too far behind on a lot of the freedom issues.

At this point, I'm not sure where in the USA is actually safer than anywhere else, honestly.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 12:53 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
It's Florida. Go figure.

It's my autistic tendency to think in black and white. And many Americans think people in Canada and everywhere else are all the same, so...

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 1:01 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
It's Florida. Go figure.

It's my autistic tendency to think in black and white. And many Americans think people in Canada and everywhere else are all the same, so...

I understand because I'm Autistic myself

And there was a time I told myself all Canadians were the same (I've had some rude encounters with Canadians both online and during my trip to Japan at a Canadian Airport). But I have to remind myself that we're all human. I think the only reason I have unpleasant encounters with SOME Canadians is because anti-American sentinement is something like 30% (according to wikipedia) and its been made worst by Trump.

I guess I can't really blame them for that. :|

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 1:47 pm

nick007 wrote:

At this point, I'm not sure where in the USA is actually safer than anywhere else, honestly.

New England is very friendly to the LGBTQ community.

The company I worked for before retiring was able to hire a girl who recently transitioned because she liked the vibe of the company in supporting folks all across the gender spectrum.

Stuff like HR making the extra effort to get the Heath Insurance benefits you need.

I suspect the customers don't have a clue as they are in denial but they don't need to know. :wink:

I'm sure my neighbors know I'm different as everyone walks by house to see the gorgeous flowering shubs in my front yard. I have a continous bloom throughout the growing season!

Last edited by BTDT on 13 Mar 2024, 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 1:50 pm

My sister moved to the New England area and loves it.