Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 12:59 am

I don't understand jokes and if I do understand that something is a joke, I don't understand that context.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 5:31 am

I have problems with humour. It's not that I don't understand a lot of joking that people do at the expense of others. It's just that I don't think they're very funny, especially if the jokes have to do with sex or relationships.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 10:00 am

I don't understand why some precious lil "people" act like they have to constantly be cracking jokes. They acted like they had a moral obligation to constantly "prove" that they were happy at all times

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 10:01 am

I sometimes take things literally, preventing me from understanding a joke that has been made.

When the other person gauges my reaction and understands I haven't understood the joke, and they explain that they were not being literal, then I understand what has happened and am like:

:duh:

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Mar 2024, 12:54 pm

I use humour and jokes a lot. When people are "full of themselves" or take things too serious I try to point that out to them with a tounge in cheek reply instead of responding in a serious way. If somebody is serious and complain about something in an exaggerated way or otherwise overreact I sometimes misstake it for a joke and laugh at them. People can get really angry about that! But I always understand jokes and I never take a joke as a serious statement.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 5:24 pm

That makes sense.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 6:02 pm

I owe my life to my sense of humour, which can be quite dark and sarcastic. Despite that sometimes I won't pick up on other's sarcasm and can also miss jokes by being too literal.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 6:07 pm

Haha, I only understand my humor, lol :)

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2024, 4:52 pm

I feel like people "jokingly" k*****g me is still a death threat, and it sets me off bad

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2024, 6:13 pm

Humor is quite complex. If someone had to sit down and explain what makes something funny, or write about it, it would be a difficult thing to do. Humor relies on surprise and taking something out of context or out of its usual use and presenting it with a twist or in an unexpected way, and the whole thing is complicated, except that if you get it, then there's an immediate recognition and it doesn't require an explanation. But if you don't get it, it can be baffling, or even disquieting. Even for people who usually get humor, there can be jokes they don't get and that leave them puzzled.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2024, 6:14 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
I don't understand why some precious lil "people" act like they have to constantly be cracking jokes. They acted like they had a moral obligation to constantly "prove" that they were happy at all times

It's a way to compensate for being otherwise completely uninteresting.

Ask me how I know. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 2:57 pm

That makes sense.

evank1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Mar 2024, 4:56 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I have problems with humour. It's not that I don't understand a lot of joking that people do at the expense of others. It's just that I don't think they're very funny, especially if the jokes have to do with sex or relationships.

I feel similarly too. I think it's that some people are better with abstraction than others, but mean spirited jokes strike me as nasty and rude. I don't understand people who can laugh at those.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2024, 10:44 pm

I agree.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 8:52 pm

I'm not all that good with understanding jokes except for shows like Mr Bean or the comedies from the UK.
I think jokes are funnier when someone mucks them up.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 11:32 am

That makes sense.