Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 12:09 am

Megh wrote:
I had this unspoken sense of feeling similar to him, in a way that was different to most people.

I have this with my daughter and had it with my brother... There's a high chance you will have it with your son too.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 7:53 am

welcome!

learn all you can about autism and you will have lots of "aha" moments when what you learn relates to your life experiences.

You will find that there are other features of autism and life experience that you don't relate to at all. Once you understand how autism works in you, and which sensory processing struggles ( its all neurological!) you have, you can start to sort your behaviors and experiences and see how autism has been working behind the scenes in your life all along.

Diagnosis and self awareness of our autism helps us answer so many painful "whys" of the past.

Everybody masks to a certain degree in polite society, we grow and change and adapt as we get older. None of us is the same as we were at age 3, 7, 12, 20 etc.

I started figuring out the struggles I had and made changes to my daily life that helped me avoid the pain and frustration, hurts, and upsets.

I started with the "worst" first and little by little I have found "work arounds" for many of the things that made every day life so hard.

It will take lots of emotional homework and lots of sorting, and it will take time! Find out about self care and practice that first, give yourself the gift of being patient with yourself and others as you sort it out. Glad you are with us.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson