Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 6:01 pm

I have such a question for you all, such a thought experiment to perform: let's say you just woke up from a coma with an amnesia - you don't have a mirror and you aren't even allowed to see your hands so you don't know if they are the hands of a man or a woman, if they are the hands of someone young or on the opposite - wrinkled and covered with liver spots. And out of a sudden, you get asked if you know how old you may be and if you are a man/boy or a woman/girl. Would you be able to guess, estimating this by your very thought process that takes place in your head; thought process typical of average representatives of particular age groups as well of representatives of particular sexes, your age and sex? :)

I'm personally not sure I would be able to do this, in all honesty - just because I don't feel a representative of any age group or sex. Quite as if I was a disembodied brain floating in a jar 8O . And what does it look like for you in this respect; would you be able to guess - after a long session of such mental exerting yourself - if you are a man/woman and how old you are - a teen, young adult, someone middle aged or a senior citizen?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 9:23 pm

If I can see my physical form, I'll be able to ballpark those answers. I will notice that I have an outie, not an innie.

If I can't I'd probably struggle, especially if my autobiographical memory was impaired at all.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 9:47 pm

The OP did not say we could not look at our feet, so I would look at my feet.

(Eww . . . old guy, for sure!)

As for sex, just squeeze my old-guy thighs together, and if I feel any pain or discomfort shooting up to my chest, then I know I am male.

Now, don't go changing the rules just because I figured a way around them!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 4:19 am

I automatically assumed our feet are covered by the quilt so one can't see them :D :lol:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 12:13 pm

I don't have an answer either.

I don't need to wake up from a coma with amnesia to 'forget' my own age and biological sex.

To me, my own age and sex is...
A factor of how much I spent my time in this earth and how this body works.
It's like I treat it like a situation -- whether it's something that can make my life easier or harder, not who I myself identify as.

Everyone else's age and sex is more like sociocultural dynamics data on top of everything health related.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 4:07 pm

I could probably tell my gender from my visceral feelings about naked women and naked men, but that would be assuming I had a simple binary gender. According to this, statistically that would be a fairly safe assumption, though obviously not perfectly safe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-binar ... ed_Kingdom

The depth of my voice would be another clue. I don't suppose there are all that many women (or should I say females?) who can sing a 104Hz note (the lowest A flat possible on a normally-tuned guitar).

I don't think I could tell my age very accurately, but I'd probably notice from my moderate aches and pains that I was either not very young or that I was young but not in excellent health. I used to feel more ill when I was in my 40s than I did in my 60s, so it would be a very rough guess how old I was. Another clue would be from being able to sing that 104Hz note - it's very unlikely that anybody under the age of 10 would be able to do that.

It might be nice not to know how old I was. No more nagging feelings about being unlikely to live more than another 10 or 20 years.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 5:30 pm

You might not even know your species!

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 5:59 pm

There is also that humorous short story by some well known Polish author Sławomir Mrożek, that is discussed in our schools - "Wedding in Atomice (Atomsville)" :mrgreen: At the end, the narrator, exposed to the radioactive rain at said wedding, turns into a beetle with "three pairs of additional legs on each side, a green horn on the forehead, and a chitin shell on the back" :lol: https://newleftreview.org/issues/i6/art ... in-atomice