Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Arcona
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2007, 5:54 pm

The commonest color blindness test is the Ishihara test which are finding numbers in circles of dots. There are a number of other color blindness tests such as the Holmes-Wright lantern and City University.

Has there been any research into whether people with AS perform worse on Ishihara tests than NT people? There is a possibility that the dot patterns can badly confuse some people. Passing an Ishihara test is a two stage process: Firstly being able to distinguish between colors with a red and green component which is a task of the eyes, secondly being able to piece together the pattern to form a number which is the task of the brain. I can identify regions in an Ishihara plate that are different hues in a short glance, but I have difficulty working out the number unless I stare at the plate for some time. This shows that my eyes can discriminate between different hues but have difficulty in pattern recognition.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 5:58 pm

Occasionally I see black text as green for some reason :?

rocketman4040
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2011, 11:18 pm

Hi All,

This is my first post in this particular forum. I wanted to share something on the topic of color blindness that I've been wondering about for quite some time.

I was tested for color blindness in first grade and informed that I was red-green color blind. My understanding until recently was that the cyan receptor cones in my retinas were malformed or otherwise defective. I hadn't understood why emergency signs were such a dull color but then it made sense.

By far, blue is the most prominent and vibrant color for me.

When I was in college, I tried LSD - that was 32 years ago, mind you, so don't hold it against me if we have the good fortune to meet one another. While everyone else claimed to be having outrageous hallucinations, the primary impact on me was that red became the most vibrant color of my spectrum.

Let me clarify this a bit further.

I had a slowly spinning illuminated color disk that I often used to light my room for ambiance - a little device from Radio Shack or Spencer's Gifts. Normally, the pattern projected on the walls and ceiling was incomplete, with numerous "holes" in the pattern. However, the pattern was completed while under the influence of the LSD and the "holes" then contained bright red images.

I have been wondering about this for decades and only found out last week that I'm an Aspie. The implication, therefore, is that I may not have a receptor hardware defect but rather my color perception may be software related, with certain wavelengths of light being filtered from my visual perceptions.

I seem to manifest AS with strong sensory sensitivity issues affecting each of my senses.

Has anyone else had a similar experience that they are actually willing to share or admit?

I'm looking forward to hearing your comments and feedback! Thanks!

- Scott