^ https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/usa

See Also:

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/events.html

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 9:51 am

https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... th-clocks/

A Time Scientist Watches the World's 2 Official Clocks. He Says We Need a 'Leap Minute'.
The switch could solve a sneakily huge problem.

BY TIM NEWCOMB
PUBLISHED: NOV 06, 2023 10:02 AM EST

An influential time scientist has suggested that Earth do away with leap seconds and go for a leap minute instead.
The less frequent syncing of Earth’s two official clocks would ease the stress on computers and those reliant on official time.
Gaining worldwide consensus on a solution to this problem, however, presents a pesky hurdle.
A leading scientist tasked with monitoring Earth’s two official clocks has a new proposal: the leap minute. A leap minute could erase the need for that pesky leap second added to our timekeeping every once in a while. If we let the world’s two competing clocks stray from each other for just a few seconds longer, a leap minute would only be needed every 50 years or so.

Judah Levine, head of the Network Synchronization Project in the Time and Frequency Division at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Colorado, is a world leader in all things time. In fact, he’s actually responsible for those leap seconds—something we’ve done internationally since 1972. He told The New York Times that replacing the leap second with the leap minute could ease so much stress in the world of exact time.

“Having to deal with leap seconds drives me crazy,” he says. “We all need to relax a little bit.”

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 10:01 am

Good job it only effects America.

In UK we have to change our clocks an hour twice a year so children can go to school.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 12:07 pm

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought you found a good, cheap replacement for your car. That's a very funny meme.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 2:11 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought you found a good, cheap replacement for your car. That's a very funny meme.

I already bought another car a week or so ago. It's a 2006 RHD Toyota Prius Touring imported from Japan. It has 22,500 kms on it and everything that needed replacing has been replaced so it's basically a brand new 18 year old car. It was a bit more expensive than other ones here with a lot of kms on them and worn out batteries, but should be good for 5 years or so before the battery needs attention. Being a hybrid, it'll be even cheaper on gas than my last car was so my fuel bill should drop from like $500/mo for my last car to maybe $300-350 in this car.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 2:45 pm

And its daylight savings time again..UGH.... i hate universal time changes , that do not necessarily apply to everyone
eg. ( Parts of Arizona)

where ever you go ,there you are

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 3:11 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Good job it only effects America.

In UK we have to change our clocks an hour twice a year so children can go to school.

:lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 3:12 pm

Shifting the clocks back and forth causes me a lot of trouble. I do a lot of scheduled realtime transatlantic communication such as Skyping and Facebook audiocalls, and it's bad enough having to allow for the normal 6-hour difference in local time - when I'm in the UK it's one way round, and when I'm in the USA it's the other. And then they have to have a crazy week twice a year when the USA changes its clocks before the UK does. So then it's a 5-hour difference or a 7-hour difference, depending on which crazy week it is.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 5:10 pm

In the USA we just did the set the clocks ahead one hour yesterday (Mar 10) looks like UK does it in Mar 31. My coworkers in India like it - the meetings with the US aren’t so late.