Is it reasonable to conscript the unemployed in the army?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2024, 8:12 pm

A draft wouldn't help unemployment much anyway. Males ages 18-35, with no disability, health issues, a clean criminal record, limited tattoos, and are physically fit would be a very small pool to select from.

Even and otherwise eligible person with none of the above issues, like ASD or ADHD has to be off of any medication for a year to try for a waiver.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 12:50 pm

DanielW wrote:
A draft wouldn't help unemployment much anyway. Males ages 18-35, with no disability, health issues, a clean criminal record, limited tattoos, and are physically fit would be a very small pool to select from.

Even and otherwise eligible person with none of the above issues, like ASD or ADHD has to be off of any medication for a year to try for a waiver.

Also keep in mind that in countries like the US, the military is effectively a make work program for those that can't handle regular careers. Yes, I'm sure folks will be offended by it, but I remember how hard the recruiters were trying to get me to sign up, and it was pretty clear that people with other prospects were unlikely to fall for their tricks. It was pretty clear with the navy recruiter in particular that the recruiter was well aware that he was scraping the bottom of the barrel and that was in the late '90s before 9/11 and people had a much less cynical view of how the military was being run and what the potential sacrifices meant.

That's not to say that that's always the case, but it is a field where people are told what to do and generally expected to do it as instructed to do without much variation. Things that are generally not useful in civilian jobs where finding better ways of getting the task done is essential to the business operating properly.