We will succeed or not in brining back the mammoth?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 4:48 pm

Jamesy wrote:
There was even talk about brining back the Neanderthal

We are Neanderthals Jamesy. The average European/middle eastern/Indian has 2-5% Neanderthal genes while east Asians, Australiasians and pacific islanders have 2-5% Denisovan DNA. Certain populations like Papuans and Australian aborigines have as high as 20% Denisovan DNA. The only "pure" humans are sub-Saharan Africans.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 4:50 pm

^ I think he means a full, 100% Neanderthal, lol.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 4:59 pm

What about those early cars they rode in?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 5:56 pm

Nades wrote:
I don't think it's possible. DNA) degrades too much over thousands of years (I assume)

It depends greatly on the conditions that it experiences over that time. It would preserve better under very cold conditions than hot areas. That is why scientists are after those mammoths that had been trapped in ice. Any missing pieces from the DNA structure can be rebuilt using an elephant donor sample, since they are related species. The process can get complicated, but could be done with current technology.

BTW - I have a few hairs from a mammoth that was once trapped in ice. The strands appear to be in rather good shape under a magnifying lens. I bought the sample at a mineral/fossil show from a respected dealer.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 6:19 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
BTW - I have a few hairs from a mammoth that was once trapped in ice. The strands appear to be in rather good shape under a magnifying lens. I bought the sample at a mineral/fossil show from a respected dealer.

Can you verify their authenticity?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 6:21 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
^ I think he means a full, 100% Neanderthal, lol.

He'll be sorely disappointed when he sees how they look, like somebodies uncle

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 8:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
There was even talk about brining back the Neanderthal

We are Neanderthals Jamesy. The average European/middle eastern/Indian has 2-5% Neanderthal genes while east Asians, Australiasians and pacific islanders have 2-5% Denisovan DNA. Certain populations like Papuans and Australian aborigines have as high as 20% Denisovan DNA. The only "pure" humans are sub-Saharan Africans.

Neanderthal DNA is found in sub-Saharan Africans as well.

We are not Neanderthals, at least not anymore than a Bengal cat is actually an Asian Leopard Cat, rather than a house cat with some ALC ancestry.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 11:11 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
We are not Neanderthals, at least not anymore than a Bengal cat is actually an Asian Leopard Cat, rather than a house cat with some ALC ancestry.

In terms of carrying their genetic legacy. You might be surprised what we carry that is neanderthal.
The caucasian nose is almost certainly neanderthal
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2023/may/nos ... anderthals

he Neanderthal genes that remain in some human DNA today tend to affect the functioning of the immune system and hair and skin traits
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/09/heal ... index.html

Yes there was a backflow of DNA from Levant and north Africa back to sub-saharan Africa resulting in neanderthal DNA entering sub-saharan african populations. But some populations do have zero percent.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 3:53 am

2028?

Four years to "bring back" a breeding population of Mammoths?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It takes a modern African elephant baby to ...leave babyhood...(ie get weaned) "five to ten years".

Ergo we couldnt even get one cloned baby off its adopted modern (African, or Indian) elephant mommy's nipples in that time!

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2024, 4:52 am

I don't know about cloning Neanderthal, but they do have the DNA sequenced

https://www.genome.gov/27539119/2010-release-complete-neanderthal-genome-sequenced

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 10:11 pm

AnanstrixG wrote:

https://www.genome.gov/27539119/2010-release-complete-neanderthal-genome-sequenced

yes, we cant clone neanderthals from fragments of DNA. But sometime in the future it might be possible to activate sleeper genes (currently noncoding) that might code for a prehensile tail.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 10:55 pm

cyberdad wrote:
AnanstrixG wrote:

yes, we cant clone neanderthals from fragments of DNA. But sometime in the future it might be possible to activate sleeper genes (currently noncoding) that might code for a prehensile tail.

The only primates with prehensile tails are the New World Monkeys, so causing a human to grow a prehensile tail would be a much more complicated task than simply causing a human to grow a true tail.

True tails are incredibly uncommon (~40 cases documented). Soft tails are more common, but don't contain any caudal vertebrae.

There's a number of potential complications that are associated with true tails (spina bifida, potential issues with continence, etc). With that in mind bringing back our tails is probably not a worthwhile experiment to conduct on humans.

If bringing back our ancestral tails is a bad idea, hoping to upgrade them to be prehensile seems like an even worse experiment to try.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 1:08 am

funeralxempire wrote:
If bringing back our ancestral tails is a bad idea, hoping to upgrade them to be prehensile seems like an even worse experiment to try.

No arguments there. But non-coding regions are likely to contain switched off genes. The issue is you would need to switch them on in the embryonic stage of development. otherwise it won't kick in.