Israel, The Holocaust, and Jonathan Glazer’s Oscar Speech

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 10:20 am

‘Credence to a blood libel’: Hundreds from Hollywood denounce Glazer’s Oscar speech

Quote:
Over 450 actors, producers, and photographers have signed a “Statement from Jewish Hollywood Professionals” castigating “Zone of Interest” filmmaker Jonathan Glazer over his recent Oscar acceptance speech, in which the director of the Holocaust film assailed Israel for “hijacking” Judaism with its conduct toward the Palestinians, American entertainment journal Variety reported Monday.

“We refute our Jewishness being hijacked for the purpose of drawing a moral equivalence between a Nazi regime that sought to exterminate a race of people, and an Israeli nation that seeks to avert its own extermination,” reads the statement, echoing Glazer’s own language at the awards ceremony.

“The use of words like ‘occupation’ to describe an indigenous Jewish people defending a homeland that dates back thousands of years, and has been recognized as a state by the United Nations, distorts history. It gives credence to the modern blood libel that fuels a growing anti-Jewish hatred around the world, in the United States, and in Hollywood,” the statement continues, adding, “The current climate of growing antisemitism only underscores the need for the Jewish State.”

The online document’s details indicate it began circulating on Thursday, four days after Glazer’s controversial speech. According to Variety, its signatories include Debra Messing (“Will and Grace”), Brett Gelman (“Stranger Things,” “Fleabag”), and Julianna Margulies (“The Good Wife”).

Glazer declined to comment on the open letter.

Glazer’s speech caused a furor. “I just fundamentally disagree with Jonathan on this,” said “Zone of Interest” producer Danny Cohen, a former TV executive at the British Broadcasting Corporation, when interviewed on an Israeli news podcast two days later, adding that Glazer’s comments were a “distraction” from his film.

Lazslo Nemes, whose Holocaust film “Son of Saul” won the 2016 foreign language Oscar, also condemned Glazer. In a statement to the UK’s The Guardian on Friday, the Hungarian-Jewish director said that “‘The Zone of Interest’ is an important movie… Its director should have stayed silent instead of revealing he has no understanding of history and the forces undoing civilization, before or after the Holocaust.”

Glazer’s Oscars speech also drew harsh criticism from the Anti-Defamation League and The Holocaust Survivors’ Foundation USA. The Foundation’s president, David Schaecter, 94, the only one of 105 family members to have survived the Holocaust after passing through both the Auschwitz and Buchenwald death camps, called Glazer’s speech “factually inaccurate [and] morally indefensible.”

“[I]t is disgraceful for you to presume to speak for those of us who personally saw the world stand silent as our mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins were murdered,” wrote Schaecter in an open letter dated March 11, the day after Glazer’s speech.

“You should be ashamed of yourself for using Auschwitz to criticize Israel,” added the Holocaust survivor

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 4:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
[Who knows? One reason the current wave seems shocking is we in the West especially in America have just come out of an unprecedented honeymoon period. This wave is historically mild. The government does not encourage or support it. The Holocaust happened when Zionism was a nascent movement that had yet to come to fruition. And it was not just over there. With the German-American Bund and Christien Front, the 1930s and 40s were worse. You had physical attacks reminiscent of now, plus open discrimination. The majority of Americans were strongly prejudiced against Jews. Polling from that era backs this up. Now it's Israel and Trump that are triggers, then it was Hitler, Father Coughlin, and Lindbergh. Without Israel, it probably would have looked different and occurred at a different time but it probably would have happened. Honeymoons end.

Yes, and this honeymoon is going to end hard based on how things are going now. Support for Israel comes not just from guilt over the Holocaust, but because Israel exists in part as an aircraft carrier for the US and its allies to project power into the Near East. Much of public support for Israel can be credited to this top-down social pressure to support the allies of the US who (as we are repeatedly told) support "Western values" (a phrase as flexible as it is meaningless). Once this social pressure is gone, I feel support for Israel will decrease rapidly. Once the public stops seeing Israel as a bastion of "Western values" in a sea of hostile subhumans, they will see it as an apartheid state who took advantage of the unconditional support of multiple nuclear powers to flaunt international law and human rights. This will be analogous to the quick turnabout in public support in the US for apartheid South Africa--and we all know how hard they fell from grace in the public eye. South Africa under apartheid was characterized, like Israel, as a bastion of """Western values"""--a valuable ally in the struggle against communism and anti-colonialism. White South Africans were characterized as a civilizing force in a barbaric land. It is no coincidence that South Africa and Israel were close allies. The apartheid regime in South Africa angrily declared that Israel an apartheid state as well when Israel finally bowed to international pressure and called out South Africa for what it was. Both apartheid and post-apartheid South Africa have drawn strong parallels between Israel and white-ruled South Africa. I just hope against hope this inevitable pushback does not see Jews being viewed with the same disdain that white South Africans are. I doubt it will be that bad, but the comparison is still there.
Quote:
Off Topic
You should not mute your German background. As you say there will always be people that hate Germans but it historically has not been in the same league as anti-Semitism. I do not know where you are from but over here even in the '60s while there were some adults who held it against them as group none of us held our German peers responsible for what their parents did. It was different for the Japanese for obvious reasons.

To be clear, this was meant as a more mild example that applies to me. I'm not exactly out here waving the red/gold/black and blaring Bach on the stereo as I drive around town. I'm really not that bent out of shape about it. I recognize even during both World Wars, there was still much more widespread hatred for Jews than Germans. It just has always bummed me out how there used to be such pride in German heritage in my home state, but the actions of nationalists in the old country ruined that for everyone. And it pains me to think that because of Jewish nationalists Jews in the future might have to bear similar shame on top of the regular anti-Semitism they are bound to face regardless of anyone's opinion of Israel.

I'm just exhausted and depressed. Support for Israel is going to dry up eventually and the world's Jews will suffer as a result. They will suffer more the harder (and more genocidally) Israel resists the inevitable. I just hope it all doesn't end in blood...

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 4:56 pm

Well we also shouldn't turn to victim blaming for the fact that frankly the Israeli government is treating the Palestentians like "vermin" and they brought much of this world outrage on themselves. From what I can gather right now Muslims are also being persecuted around the world for their religous beliefs in China, France, India, especially in Israel, and even here in the United States. Probably in other countries I'm unaware of at the moment. But many human rights activists are seeing this with their own eyes yet many governments have been trying to silence them for years.

As far as I'm concerned Israel is not completely blameless in this and neither are the countries like mine that continue to enable them to be as*holes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 4:22 pm

Last I read the letter has 1200 signators.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman