My therapist thinks I can just learn social cues...

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 1:14 pm

OK thank you

I think my daughter may struggle in this area as well.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 6:15 pm

DanielW wrote:
You can repeat yourself as often as you like. Simply repeating yourself further isn't likely to make either of us agree on this point however. I've had enough poor therapists and poor therapy to last me quite some time. There are plenty of therapists (including occupational and speech/language therapists) that can do a better job at social skill training that goes well beyond DIY, I assure you.

You can assure me as often as you like. Simply offering assurances isn't likely to make me agree on this point.

And anyways, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Still allowed to disagree with you.

Persisting in referring to any expectation of self-guided therapeutic strategy as a total abandonment by the therapist, does not magically make that the reality. Indicating that the watching of videos would be ok, so long as the doctor verifies the vids first is a minor complaint at best, and still hardly constitutes "fobbing off" - and is easily remedied by simply asking the therapist if they could recommend some since you're not sure where to start - or otherwise clarifying your needs - instead of simply taking offense and firing them.

That aside...

Bee33 is correct. Social cues include physical elements like body language, but also verbal elements like tone of voice and word usage.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 4:45 pm

babybird wrote:
babybird wrote:
Are social cues the same as body language

Anyone?
yes, but it can also be tone of voice, the way something is said but not explained in a conversation (hints) and other things as well. social cues are signs that let others know a certain response is expected. Many of us miss such cues/signs due to being autistic and the way we process what we see or hear.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson