Democrats prepare to go to war - third-party candidates

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 12:12 pm

Democrats working to counter third party candidates? What's next? Democrats working to counter GOP candidates?

AnanstrixG wrote:
Well I'm of the person opinion that the DNC actively sabotaged Sanders in 2016 primaries.

This though lol
Going after opposition is one thing, but the party establishment putting their thumb on the scale in favor of their preferred candidate is another. Why let those dumb voters decide on their own? They might pick someone who criticizes capitalism! Also made it all the more embarrassing when that responsible, safe (read: unelectable) candidate lost to Drumpf of all ppl.
Still, it made a lot of ppl turn against the centrist part of the party, so I can't complain too much.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 1:25 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
This is why we need one-party rule by the Dems, at least on an interim basis.

Be careful what you wish for, cause it might just get you.

It's hard to understand how someone can advocate for dictatorship while still retaining any credibility as a supporter of liberal democracy.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 1:28 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

It's hard to understand how someone can advocate for dictatorship while still retaining any credibility as a supporter of liberal democracy.

Because it takes two or more parties to form an actual democracy.

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2024, 1:49 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I don't think just two parties is enough. It is obvious that in the USA this is breaking down. And a viable third party or "Independent Runner" has been a joke for a very long time. There are more than two major views among a group of people as large and diverse as those in the USA. The political system should reflect this.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 1:54 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
AnanstrixG wrote:
But if the DNC is out to prevent third party candidates, even if for a reason that is important and pivotal, are they not also aiding in the fall of democracy?

Yes. That's pretty much the reason why I don't trust Democrats either.

Yep, they'll fight tooth and nail against 3rd party candidates and folks that are trying to run as Democrats that support the people, but they take a dive immediately when there's GOP opposition.

At this point, I don't vote for either party's candidates unless there's no 3rd party candidate and to unseat an incumbent. Even in the rare situation where there's a "good" democrat, they immediately take a dive the moment there's any opposition at all.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 1:54 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Exactly. One can't be a supporter of liberal democracy while also advocating for a single-party dictatorship, Tim kinda needs to pick a lane. Does he want democracy or does he want a dictatorship?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 2:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Exactly. One can't be a supporter of liberal democracy while also advocating for a single-party dictatorship, Tim kinda needs to pick a lane. Does he want democracy or does he want a dictatorship?

I agree. Even if the Democrats are technically more moral than Republicans, I still don't want to live under a dictatorship where either side gets ultimate power.

Besides I'm certain progressives have their own "list" of people they would strip of all rights if given the chance.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 2:19 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I agree. Even if the Democrats are technically more moral than Republicans, I still don't want to live under a dictatorship where either side gets ultimate power.

Besides I'm certain progressives have their own "list" of people they would strip of all rights if given the chance.

Not to mention, how would dissent be expressed if people can't do it at the ballot box? Seems like it would be begging for instability.

Also, it seems like it would lead to corruption becoming more of a problem due to it becoming harder to remove people who misuse their position.

Even without the Democrats actively seeking to make things worse (eg: no lists of people to round up), things getting even worse seems like the most likely outcome.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 2:24 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

Not to mention, how would dissent be expressed if people can't do it at the ballot box? Seems like it would be begging for instability.

Also, it seems like it would lead to corruption becoming more of a problem due to it becoming harder to remove people who misuse their position.

Even without the Democrats actively seeking to make things worse (eg: no lists of people to round up), things getting even worse seems like the most likely outcome.

Agreed. I think there are so many things that will go wrong if that were to happen.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 3:03 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Fwiw, in the unlikely event the GOP crashes and burns like the Federalists and Know-Nothings, the Democrats would inevitably (probably sooner rather than later) splinter over internal disagreements. I already see people talk about how they think the Dems will split into a more centrist liberal party and a more radical leftist party.
Even if they don't, there are still dozens of minor parties which could grow to fill the void left by the GOP. Not to mention that a fragmented GOP could reform into a different party, like how the Whigs eventually coalesced into the Republicans in the 19th century.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 12:38 pm

My point is that there are many parts of the U.S. where progressivism will only happen if it's forced on them. For example, what would it take for a deep red state like Wyoming or Alabama to embrace California or New York values?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!