Page 6 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 4:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

It's interesting how they seem to prefer minor figures over say Isis, Freya or Hera.
Although afaik Discordism is a bit of a parody religion.

I definetly agree. Frankly I don't understand how Lilith got to be a popular "goddess" icon of the feminist movement when there are plenty of other female deities out there who's myths are much more empowering for women, like Inanna the Goddess of Love & War who conquered Ancient Mesopotamia by becoming their favorite figure of worship all because of her adventurous tales and strong personality. My fav Inanna tale was the one where she punished a man who horribly violated her as she slept undrr a tree, but upon realizing she was a goddess he ran in fear and she literally chased him down and tore him in half for what he did. Or Artemis aka Diana the Greco-Roman Goddess of Hunting and The Moon who actually protected young girls and aided mothers in childbirth.

Both these goddesses are so much more commendable than Lilith. Lilith not only murders infants (both boys aswell as girls) but she also attacks pregnant women causing them to die in childbirth plus she seduces men stealing them away from other women.

To me that's not feminist, that's toxic femininity. :?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 4:49 pm

It seems a lot less mascoty compared to how Satan has been rehabilitated in some circles too.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 4:54 pm

cyberdad wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble! Gooble gobble!

Wait! you mean god is the thanksgiving Turkey? put's new meaning in the blood of christ...

That was a reference to the very controversial 1932 pre-code horror movie Freaks, when the circus sideshow performers accept the main character in spite of her being "normal" as a part of their "family" by chanting "We accept her! One of Us! Gooble gooble!" . I was also kind of poking a little fun of how we aspies are supposedly "freaks". :)

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 4:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It seems a lot less mascoty compared to how Satan has been rehabilitated in some circles too.

Well what gets me is that most Satanists are really just atheists who use him as a symbol to rebel against fundementalism.

The neopagans who hijacked Lilith treat her as an actual goddess, but they also completely ignore the fact that she was created to be evil from the very start and to blame for the death of children and birthing mothers (as well as men who get boners while they sleep).

They now claim her to be a "benevolent fertility goddess demonized by the patriarchy" which was never true, but countless people on the internet actually believe that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 5:01 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Well what gets me is that most Satanists are really just atheists who use him as a symbol to rebel against fundementalism.

The neopagans who hijacked Lilith treat her as an actual goddess, but they also completely ignore the fact that she was created to be evil from the very start and to blame for the death of children and birthing mothers (as well as men who get boners while they sleep).

They now claim her to be a "benevolent fertility goddess demonized by the patriarchy" which was never true, but countless people on the internet actually believe that.

That's what I mean by mascoty. Most Satanists use Satan as a symbol for rejecting Christianity, rather than as a literal god.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 5:04 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

That's what I mean by mascoty. Most Satanists use Satan as a symbol for rejecting Christianity, rather than as a literal god.

Oh ok, yeah I wish that was the case with Lilith. :lol:

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 5:20 pm

But anyways I consider myself a supporter of women's rights and I admire stories of female empowerment.

If I were a woman and I wanted to choose a personal Goddess to invoke in the spirit of feminism and protecting my rights as a woman I would go with either Inanna or Diana. Or even Pele. She's very fiery and spirited and you didn't want to be on her bad side. 8)

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 5:25 pm

Actually now that I think about it, Pele fits better as a symbol of Hawaiian identity. Just as Amaterasu does for Japan.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 1:47 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
That was a reference to the very controversial 1932 pre-code horror movie Freaks, when the circus sideshow performers accept the main character in spite of her being "normal" as a part of their "family" by chanting "We accept her! One of Us! Gooble gooble!" . I was also kind of poking a little fun of how we aspies are supposedly "freaks". :)

I'm reminded of a line from the song "This is us" from the "Greatest Showman"I am not a stranger to the dark.
"Hide away", they say.
"'Cause we don't want your broken parts."
I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars.
"Run away", they say.
"No one'll love you as you are."
But I won't let them break me down to dust.
I know that there's a place for us.
For we are glorious.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 4:42 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I don't think they ignore it. I think they deliberately chose a villainous figure from the Abrahamic mythos as a way to troll and upset the pearl clutchers from the traditional religion.

Except that it didn't work. The pearl clutchers largely ignore the Lilith worshippers and get upset about other things.
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
The old historic revisionism. Our history books are full of it. So is the Bible.
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Well sure they are but I quite admire the way they've turned atheism into a religion instead of just the absence of one. Getting their statue placed next to the ten commandments statue on public land under the guise of religious freedom? Vanilla atheists could never do that? Imagine vanilla atheists trying to build a statue of their god. It would just be a statue of nothing. The statue of Baphomet looks much more impressive than a statue of nothing.

How about the Lavey Satanists plan to claim exemption to perform abortions as part of a constitutionally protected religious ritual. I don't know if it will work but I admire their hutzpah for trying. Plain old atheists couldn't do that because we don't have any rituals.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 4:58 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I don't think they ignore it. I think they deliberately chose a villainous figure from the Abrahamic mythos as a way to troll and upset the pearl clutchers from the traditional religion.

Actually some of her followers really DO ignore the terrible things she represented as a demon/goddess who murdered children and will make up any excuse you can of think of to justify her. One of their favorites that I have heard all the time being "She was really a nice motherly goddess and the handmaiden of Inanna who became demonized by evil sexist men who all hate women". All of that is BS. :roll:

But you also have to keep in mind that these are the same kind of people who believe that just because an ancient civilization had a belief in goddesses that it means they were matriarchal.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 6:24 pm

To understand Lilith one has to get past her folklore in Judiasm, and I do say "folklore" because from my understanding she's not so much a part of Jewish religous beliefs as she is a part of oral traditions passed down for centuries. She's not really mentioned in their religous texts but her earliest written recording was in a medieval text called The Alphabet of Ben Sira which modern scholars believe to be a work of ancient satire invoking the idea of Lilith as being Addams first wife.

She can actually be traced back much earlier to pre-Abrahamic mythology in Mesopotamia where she was created by combining the malefic Goddess known as Lamashtu with the evil night spirits known as the Lilitu.

Lamashtu was a nasty goddess who worked hard to be evil for evil's sake. She did many of the same things Lilith did like attacking infants and pregnant mothers and seducing men in their sleep, only unlike Lilith who is often depicted in artwork as a beautiful temptress Lamashtu wasva hidously deformed monster with no human features.

So even in her "Goddess" form as Identity Lilith was very much a child-murdering monster.

I finally stopped kidding myself about her and came to the conclusion that anybody who tries to justify worshipping is simply in the wrong and they either don't know what she was or they wish to whitewash her history by trying to turn her into an Aphrodite figure.

https://www.ancientneareast.net/mesopot ... -lamashtu/

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 2:46 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Actually some of her followers really DO ignore the terrible things she represented as a demon/goddess who murdered children and will make up any excuse you can of think of to justify her. One of their favorites that I have heard all the time being "She was really a nice motherly goddess and the handmaiden of Inanna who became demonized by evil sexist men who all hate women". All of that is BS. :roll:

But you also have to keep in mind that these are the same kind of people who believe that just because an ancient civilization had a belief in goddesses that it means they were matriarchal.

In that case maybe they think Athens was matriarchal. I can imagine them thinking the city with a goddess for their patron deity must have been a lovely place for women.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 8:03 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

In that case maybe they think Athens was matriarchal. I can imagine them thinking the city with a goddess for their patron deity must have been a lovely place for women.

Many of them probably do, because they cling to the idea of goddess worship without actually doing the work to understand the history of the cultures that honored these goddesses. It's a kind of spiritual laziness...

I mean I realize the irony in saying this as someone who obsesses on paganism myself, but at least I now try to do actual research into these deities. :nerdy: