Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 10:22 am

Trump launched CIA covert influence operation against China

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump- ... 6c3675c604

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 10:43 am

I'm sure the CCP has done the same to us but nobody gives a s**t about that because communism is now "hip" among young people.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 11:17 am

I wouldn't know about young people embracing communism. Antisemitism more like.

Well we all know that Trump hates China and loves Russia. Insofar as China has become the number one whipping boy for Westerners, nobody seems the least bit shocked by reports that Chinese would try to influence Americans against their government (is TikTok possibly part of a grand plan to do so?) but hard to believe that a God-fearing American leader would do something like that to them. Of course, try suggesting that the Russians have tried to influence American politics in the same way, and you're quickly taken to task.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 11:21 am

I think young people are embracing both. And I'd say China, Russia, and the US are always doing this kind of thing to each other. It's just proof that the Cold War didnt actually end with the fall of the Berlin Wall.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 11:35 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I think young people are embracing both. And I'd say China, Russia, and the US are always doing this kind of thing to each other. It's just proof that the Cold War didnt actually end with the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Well the antisemitism is concerning, but if young people are claiming to admire communism, either it's just for shock value, or as a way of expressing cynicism, or a way to communicate that the society in which they live is so awful for them that anything, even communism, would be better, or it could just be a poke at older generations who saw the threat of communism as a genuine concern (which it really isn't anymore).

BTW I don't see the Chinese society as based on communism. They make appeals to the idea as a way to inspire loyalty to the government. China functions largely as it always has. It's a society based on Confucianism that seems authoritarian to Westerners but with which average Chinese are OK (although of course there are still quite a few dissidents). To me, saying that China presents a threat to our society isn't the same as saying communism does. My idea of a bona fide example of a society being organized according to Marxist/Leninist principals would be Cuba during the Cold War (with lots of financial support from the USSR). Today's China is nothing like that.

EDIT before anybody accuses me of being Xi's useful idiot, I hasten to point out that I totally agree that the Chinese (i.e. their government) are ruthless AF and not to be trusted. Of course, I also couldn't really tell you whom I would trust. But one can legitimately do business with them so long as one watches one's back. Blacklisting all their corporations would mostly hurt any country that chose to do so.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 11:48 am

MaxE wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

Well the antisemitism is concerning, but if young people are claiming to admire communism, either it's just for shock value, or as a way of expressing cynicism, or a way to communicate that the society in which they live is so awful for them that anything, even communism, would be better, or it could just be a poke at older generations who saw the threat of communism as a genuine concern (which it really isn't anymore).

BTW I don't see the Chinese society as based on communism. They make appeals to the idea as a way to inspire loyalty to the government. China functions largely as it always has. It's a society based on Confucianism that seems authoritarian to Westerners but with which average Chinese are OK (although of course there are still quite a few dissidents). To me, saying that China presents a threat to our society isn't the same as saying communism does. My idea of a bona fide example of a society being organized according to Marxist/Leninist principals would be Cuba during the Cold War (with lots of financial support from the USSR). Today's China is nothing like that.

You clearly haven't been exposed to as many tankies as I have...

And it doesn't matter if China isn't "technically" communist, they refer to themselves as such AND are taking advantage of vulnerable young people (aka "useful idiots") by spreading pro-CCP propaganda through quora and facebook which many Americans are now buying into.

To say that China doesn't pose any threat to us is very naive in my opinion. Of course Trump hasn't helped things at all because he's as big a moron as Joseph McCarthy was.

Oh and for the record, the US isn't "Technically" a Democracy or a Republic. We've always pretty much been an oligarchy where a few rich white men held all the power. Nowadays that includes a few rich white women and people of color. But the fact that the greater majority of Americans rarely get what they want should be proof that we're not as "free" a society as people think. We pretend to be just as China pretends to be Communist! :jester:

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 1:33 pm

I don't consider this a shock. That's Realpolitik; that's espionage. What, do people think their governments are playing fair and only China and Russia and other such boogymen engage in shifty behavior?

Quote:
MaxE and RedDeathFlower things

More young people are embracing anti-Zionism, not anti-Semitism. Conflating the two actively endangers Jews. Still, Israel goes to great efforts to give as much fuel as possible to anti-Semite propaganda--the same way any nationalist regime encourages hatred of those it claims to represent.
And there will always be those in a given generation who embrace anti-Semitism--they are often quite fond of Israel. They so love the precedent of the "respectable", "western values" ethnostate. It gives them somewhere to corrale the Jews that they don't want in their own countries. It's part of why self-identified Nazis would rather take a bullet to the brain than vote for the allegedly much more antisemitic Dems.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 7:25 pm

MaxE wrote:
but hard to believe that a God-fearing American leader would do something like that to them.

Is this view popular among Christians?Even all Americans.Believe that there is a correlation between believing in God and doing things morally.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 10:32 pm

belijojo wrote:
MaxE wrote:
but hard to believe that a God-fearing American leader would do something like that to them.

Is this view popular among Christians?Even all Americans.Believe that there is a correlation between believing in God and doing things morally.

Donald Trump gives no evidence of being a Christian, yet certain Christians have pledged their loyalty to him. For me to refer to him as God-fearing involves a great deal of sarcasm. I am talking as though I believe him to be more likely to act on the basis of moral principles, than Chinese leaders, whereas I actually don't. I probably did not make very effective use of the sarcasm. Don't feel badly if this confused you.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 11:06 pm

^ok