What does "he talks in maths" mean?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 10:24 am

In a Radiohead song.

"Karma police, arrest this man. He talks in maths. He buzzes like a fridge. He's like a detuned radio."

What does the singer mean by saying he "talks in maths"?

Radiohead is a British band and "maths" is equivalent to American "math".

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2024, 10:42 am

I think it means something like ... he talks in puzzles or riddles ... like a math problem, it needs to be figured out ... there is an answer but it is not apparent.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 11:52 am

It could mean that the person speaks in mathematical terms as well.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 2:32 pm

And then...she blinded me with science...SCIENCE!

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 2:48 pm

ChatGPT says: “The lyrics of "Karma Police" by Radiohead likely depict a narrator's frustration with someone's cold, detached behavior, symbolized by references to "talking in maths" and "buzzing like a fridge." The invocation of the "Karma Police" suggests a desire for justice or consequences for the individual's actions, ultimately portraying themes of moral accountability and existential unease.”

While someone could literally say things like “y squared equals x squared plus 1” and buzz like a refrigerator it seems unlikely outside of a science fiction movie.

It may be some kind of a comment on technology and society.

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2024, 3:19 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
And then...she blinded me with science...SCIENCE!

... and failed me in biology

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 3:22 pm

I used to talk in maths

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 3:41 pm

Hypothetical unaired lost episode of “The Twilight Zone”.

Title: "The Equation"

Synopsis:
In a small town, strange occurrences begin to unfold when a mysterious man, Mr. X, arrives. He possesses an uncanny ability to manipulate reality through mathematical equations. People who cross him or speak out against him mysteriously vanish, leaving behind only cryptic mathematical symbols.

Amid the chaos, Dr. Emily West, a brilliant scientist and mathematician, becomes intrigued by Mr. X's abilities. She dedicates herself to deciphering his mathematical language in hopes of understanding his motives and stopping the disappearances.

Dr. West creates a revolutionary translator device capable of interpreting Mr. X's mathematical speech. With the help of the Karma Police, she infiltrates Mr. X's domain and confronts him directly.

Using the translator, Dr. West communicates with Mr. X, learning of his mission to maintain cosmic balance. However, she realizes that his methods are causing more harm than good, disrupting the natural order of the universe.

As tensions escalate, Dr. West and Mr. X engage in a battle of wits, each using their knowledge of mathematics to outsmart the other. Ultimately, Dr. West unveils a flaw in Mr. X's equations, revealing that his calculations are incomplete and flawed.

With his plans unraveling, Mr. X becomes vulnerable, allowing the Karma Police to apprehend him. Using Dr. West's translator, they neutralize his powers and restore order to the town.

As the dust settles, Dr. West reflects on the power of mathematics to both create and destroy, vowing to use her skills for the betterment of humanity. Mr. X, now stripped of his abilities, fades into obscurity, a cautionary tale of the dangers of unchecked power.

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2024, 3:47 pm

Fenn wrote:
Hypothetical unaired lost episode of “The Twilight Zone”.

Title: "The Equation"

Synopsis:
In a small town, strange occurrences begin to unfold when a mysterious man, Mr. X, arrives. He possesses an uncanny ability to manipulate reality through mathematical equations. People who cross him or speak out against him mysteriously vanish, leaving behind only cryptic mathematical symbols.

Amid the chaos, Dr. Emily West, a brilliant scientist and mathematician, becomes intrigued by Mr. X's abilities. She dedicates herself to deciphering his mathematical language in hopes of understanding his motives and stopping the disappearances.

Dr. West creates a revolutionary translator device capable of interpreting Mr. X's mathematical speech. With the help of the Karma Police, she infiltrates Mr. X's domain and confronts him directly.

Using the translator, Dr. West communicates with Mr. X, learning of his mission to maintain cosmic balance. However, she realizes that his methods are causing more harm than good, disrupting the natural order of the universe.

As tensions escalate, Dr. West and Mr. X engage in a battle of wits, each using their knowledge of mathematics to outsmart the other. Ultimately, Dr. West unveils a flaw in Mr. X's equations, revealing that his calculations are incomplete and flawed.

With his plans unraveling, Mr. X becomes vulnerable, allowing the Karma Police to apprehend him. Using Dr. West's translator, they neutralize his powers and restore order to the town.

As the dust settles, Dr. West reflects on the power of mathematics to both create and destroy, vowing to use her skills for the betterment of humanity. Mr. X, now stripped of his abilities, fades into obscurity, a cautionary tale of the dangers of unchecked power.

I'd watch it :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 4:05 pm

Reminds me a play kicking around in the back of my head.

The time is the turn of the 20th century. A drunken Sigmund Freud enters a low class Vienna dive (and suspected house of ill repute), and encounters Albert Einstein. Neither knows who the other is. But both agree to shoot some pool to hustle money out of the other.

Freud uses his knowledge of psys\chology to try to mess with Einstein's head (gamesmenship), while Einstein uses his knowledge of physics to do trick shoots to beat Freud.

All of the while Jelly Roll Morton plays this new American music called "ragtime" on the bordello piano in the background.