I wouldn't survive dating in 2024

Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 10:00 am

this will be thread that surely won't be locked

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 10:02 am

DuckHairback wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Millenials & Gen-Z are well known to not be having as much sex versus say, boomers, since those groups have far more in-home entertainment options than their predecessors did and don't need to leave the house to be entertained.

That's an interesting point, that young people are just in their homes more. So they don't have big groups of people gathering and meeting socially. That seems likely to me.

I'm less convinced by the its too expensive to date thing.

Eating at restaurants can be fairly expensive and a lot of people like to date at those places.

But as TP said earlier in the thread, dating can also be cheap so I accept that.

I think there's definitely something to people being more introverted and spoiled with entertainment options nowadays.

Why make the effort of going out and meeting people as a man or a woman when you can indulge in some tasty snacks and can watch Netflix on a big television or play your video games?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 10:03 am

honeytoast wrote:
this will be thread that surely won't be locked

:lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 12:05 pm

Dating costs money; even whithin an established relationship.

Eating at resto, watching cinemas, going bowlings, going swimming pools, transportation... all do cost money.

I would say an average of USD 30-50 for a very regular date day.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 1:33 pm

My Glory Days come to me in my dreams each night. There's no shortage of hippies in my dreams.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 2:44 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I’m speaking from practice/experience. I lived in extreme poverty for years. Poor people often date, live together, and marry. There’s nothing unusual about it.

While this might be more of a middle class dilemma, our poor in Australia live in what are known as housing estates (affectionally called "housos"). There is a social heirarchy (even there) based on your affiliation/acceptance in youth gangs. In the "hood" being "alpha" means having access to cash, a modified vehicle designed to exceed speed limits with rims and exhaust pipes and being in the party/drug scene.

Living in a "Hood" means being part of a gang (not necessarily gangs in the American sense but more of a local group). If you aren't connected to groups then you fall into the same issue as middle class single people who don't have social networks (like in the sitcom Friends). It amounts to the same thing.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 2:59 pm

^ Having lived in housing in the US, I’ve not seen much of that sort of thing. Most poor folks are normal, decent people trying to get by.

cyberdad wrote:
If you aren't connected to groups then you fall into the same issue as middle class single people who don't have social networks (like in the sitcom Friends). It amounts to the same thing.
Friends was a TV show that was very far-removed from reality, not a documentary. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 3:06 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
^ Having lived in housing in the US, I’ve not seen much of that sort of thing. Most folks are normal, decent people trying to get by.

I'm talking about younger people living in housing estates. Yes, many are decent folk and children of immigrants. Even there money/car/house is still prerequisite for being "dateable".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 3:09 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Friends[/i] was a TV show that was very far-removed from reality, not a documentary. :lol:

Just a metaphorical comparator. The characters were mean't to represent the middle class in the 1990s but nicely shows how being part of a friend group has social benefits in terms of dating.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 3:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
^ Having lived in housing in the US, I’ve not seen much of that sort of thing. Most folks are normal, decent people trying to get by.

I'm talking about younger people living in housing estates.
I was referring to people of any age. Maybe it’s somehow different in Australia. From what I can tell, you do seem to like stereotyping people - whether it’s young people in housing or attractive, young women.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 3:15 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I'm talking about younger people living in housing estates.
I was referring to people of any age. Maybe it’s somehow different in Australia. From what I can tell, you do seem to like stereotyping people - whether it’s young people in housing or attractive, young women.[/quote]

I am exploring reasons for the drop in fertility rates in the developed world, rise in single people and why people around me are saying how difficult dating is now. Nothing to do with stereotyping.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Mar 2024, 3:18 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Millenials & Gen-Z are well known to not be having as much sex versus say, boomers, since those groups have far more in-home entertainment options than their predecessors did and don't need to leave the house to be entertained.

That's an interesting point, that young people are just in their homes more. So they don't have big groups of people gathering and meeting socially. That seems likely to me.

Eating at restaurants can be fairly expensive and a lot of people like to date at those places.

But as TP said earlier in the thread, dating can also be cheap so I accept that.

I think there's definitely something to people being more introverted and spoiled with entertainment options nowadays.

Why make the effort of going out and meeting people as a man or a woman when you can indulge in some tasty snacks and can watch Netflix on a big television or play your video games?
That's the main type of things me & my girlfriend do together. A major advantage of living with a romantic partner is being able to do that stuff together in person. However a major problem is that while your engaging in those activities you do not meet others unless your using the internet.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 3:24 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I am exploring reasons for the drop in fertility rates in the developed world, rise in single people and why people around me are saying how difficult dating is now. Nothing to do with stereotyping.

That doesn’t have much to do with my comment based on personal experience of living well below the poverty line which makes me wonder why you singled a post of mine out instead of someone else’s yet again.

Maybe things are different in Australia, but here, most young people in housing are deemed datable, just like anyone else. Poor people often seem to date other poor people - perhaps because they have more things in common with each other and/or are around each other more.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 18 Mar 2024, 5:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 3:27 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Most people can afford to date because dating doesn’t need to be expensive. People can go out for a cup of coffee, go for walks in a park, go to inexpensive restaurants, watch a movie at one or the other’s houses, etc.

Honestly this ^^^

Save the expensive dates for a special treat or something.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 4:48 pm

honeytoast wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
Most people can afford to date because dating doesn’t need to be expensive. People can go out for a cup of coffee, go for walks in a park, go to inexpensive restaurants, watch a movie at one or the other’s houses, etc.

Honestly this ^^^

Save the expensive dates for a special treat or something.

That sounds reasonable, HT. :)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 4:51 pm

nick007 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

That's the main type of things me & my girlfriend do together. A major advantage of living with a romantic partner is being able to do that stuff together in person. However a major problem is that while your engaging in those activities you do not meet others unless your using the internet.

Oh well, at least you have each other. :nerdy: