Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

tired architect
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Mar 2024, 3:33 pm

Has anyone else going through menopause experienced muscle tremors?

They come at night and wake me up 3-5 times. It's an odd and scary feeling, like buzzing inside all over my body. Hands, legs, back, abdomen, all muscles twitching super fast when I'm just laying down. When it's bad my heart also starts racing for no reason.

When I get up in the morning they go away for the day.

I'm wondering if this could be some strange version of the hot flashes, which I don't get, at least yet. I can feel mildly hot when the tremors hit but there's no sweating.

This is giving me a lot of anxiety. I've had my heart and thyroid checked and blood tested. I don't take any medications. I'm taking magnesium supplement but it has not helped. I already posted about this in the general health discussion but maybe this could be menopause related?

DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2024, 3:58 pm

According to this, it can happen in menopause and probably you have nothing serious to worry about.

https://www.avogel.co.uk/health/menopause/videos/internal-trembling-vibrations-and-shaking-in-perimenopause-and-menopause/

tired architect
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2024, 3:14 am

DazyDaisy wrote:
According to this, it can happen in menopause and probably you have nothing serious to worry about.

https://www.avogel.co.uk/health/menopause/videos/internal-trembling-vibrations-and-shaking-in-perimenopause-and-menopause/

Thank you so much DazyDaisy! I must be really sh***y at googling, never came across that Vogel page during these 6 months :oops: I knew I could trust people here to help me find answers :heart:

I regognize all those symptoms, your nervous system can go on permanent fight or flight -mode during menopause. Lots of useful info there on nutrition, supplements and how to reduce stress.

Don't know if I have the courage to start taking estrogen, because getting cancer is one of my biggest fears. Maybe there's a discussion on taking estrogen here already, will check.

DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2024, 4:21 am

Don't worry. It happened to me several years ago, when I was in the mid phase of perimenopause and it also scared me very much. But I knew it must be connected with hormonal imbalance so I tried not to panic and, eventually, it went away.

I was also affraid to take esteogen pills because I was affraid that it raises the risk of cancer..

But if you feel uncomforable do consultat with doctors, check your hormons, maybe check your general health so that you know what to work on to, what you can do to improve it with diet, supplements, exercises..

tired architect
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2024, 5:27 am

How long did you have those tremors? Mine have been going on for 6 months now :(

First time I went into full panic mode and called ambulance, thinking I was having a heart attack (atrial fibrillation). Later on I've had panic attacks and called ambulance again. It is CRAZY how this has messed with my head.

We know so little about menopause beforehand! My mother or anyone I know hasn't been through anything like this. Maybe it's Asperger related, your nervous system is extra sensitive and struggling a lot now.

DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2024, 5:55 am

They didn't last that long, maybe in a duration of several weeks, but they happened several times and were very intensive. And they were happening the same time when I was exposed to a prolonged stressed and anxiety caused by my sisters's diseases (cancer) and her denial and refusal to get the right treatment in time. So it happened all at once, my perimenopause, stress, anxiety, everything.

On a top of that I was diagnosed earlier with Sjogren's Syndrome that also attacks CNS ( and peripheral nervous system.) But I think that it was not that much related to that, but I would agree that people who's nervous system is affected with various syndroms, diseases, maybe even mental disorders, etc. are easier to get theirs to get triggered.

On the top of it, anxiety and panic attacks make everything worse in a way that you don't know anymore what is what and what was the cause - anxiety, panic or some organic problem.

So, please, don't be scared that I mentioned Sjogren's syndrome, I really believe it has nothing to do with you, it is probably because of menopause and hormonal disbalance, but as an Aspie you are probably more proned to experience something like that, because, your nervous system is sensitive, too. If your symptoms last for 6 months I'm almost certain they have nothing to do with any serious disease, because autoimmune systemic disease flares don't last that long.

I guess in your case it's a mix of menopausal issues and anxiety and panic attacks. Probably you need to find the way to relax more and not to worry too much.

P. S. I forgot to say that I was diagnosed with autoimmune systemic disease in 2009 and I took really good care of it with diet, so most of the time it was in a remission and that's why I believe it was not related to symptoms similar with those you have. Stress and hormons were cause N0 1, I'm almost 100% sure.

tired architect
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2024, 4:56 am

Yes, I think stress plays a significant role in getting the tremors. Three weeks earlier I fell ill with a stomack condition called diverticulitis, which was super stressfull. I got through it with strong antibiotics. After that I had lot of stress at work and then the internal buzzing started.

And now that I feel relieved after finding the connection between tremors and menopause, I've had better nights! It's not all gone but better :)

Sorry to hear about your Sjogren's syndrome diagnosis. Hope you are coping with it well. And your sister! :( What a scary time that must have been for you.

I am taking quite a big steps at the moment to reduce stress and trying to find a less stressful job. Which is also stressfull, the change... do that kind of move at fifty!

DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2024, 9:32 am

First of all I am happy that you feel better since you stopped worrying and tried to reduce stress :heart: ! ! Yes, it is N° 1 cause of all health problems, both physical and psychological. If your job is too stressful I would support you to look for another one. I think that another stress, that would be caused by changing jobs, would be much lesser than the stress you said your present job is already making to your health. Sorry to hear about your diverticulitis. Did you also tried probiotics? Here we are advised to take them together with antibiotics or after we finish the therapy with antibiotics. Also, maybe you can check which diet would be the best for you and that could help you even more both with guts and tremors and buzzing.

Thank you, I do my best to keep my SS under control and also to avoid stress wherever and whenever I can.

And I hope you'll get better and better!

tired architect
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2024, 4:42 pm

I did not take probiotics with the antibiotics, though it is recommended here also. I was in such a bad shape that I was not thinking straight and forgot about them. I have since then drank this fermented vegetable juice that has probiotics. I'm also working on my diet and eating dietary oat fiber which has made a huge difference.

Taking the leap of starting a new career is super scary and uncomfortable. I just have to believe that it will pay off in the long run.

Again, thank you for your help DazyDaisy ❤️

DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2024, 11:14 pm

Yes, I know it can be scaring, especially if you are not 100% sure that you will not be exposed to another kind of stress on your new job. I, personally, gave up from my career in my mid thirties, because it ruined my health. But it may not be a good choice for everyone. I was ready to earn less money by doing something less responsible, less draining, less chalinging, but also less stressful. And it was something I could have be doing from home or by freelancing. So, maybe you want to really think carefully if it is a really good choice for you. If you already feel stressed just by thinking of it, maybe it is not. Maybe there are other ways you could reduce stress on your current job.

May I ask what kind of fermented vegetable beverage you drink? Sounds promising.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 8:44 pm

I have been having internal tremors for 20 months now. Mine were triggered by COVID, which also disrupted my menstrual cycle for six months. Relevant for me, I read studies that confirm that Long COVID (or boosters) and internal tremors are a thing and disproportionately affect women ages 40-60. My bet is b/c it's exacerbating or overlapping hormonal issues. I think mine was/is an autoimmune response - viral combined with hormonal. I tried everything else for that past year and a half (heart, diet, exercise, hormones, rolfing, medications, etc. etc. etc.) and plan to go to a clinic with an neuroimmuniologist to see if it's an ongoing response or damage already done (and I'm slowly recovering). 20 months of internal tremors (buzzing) every night - not severe, but severely chronic. Yes, I wake up every night, many times a night. Yuck. I also developed tinnitus after COVID. Perimenopause can cause these things, but I'd bet they'd have been mild to nothing for me if I hadn't had a viral infection to "kick" it all off. Regardless of the cause for you, sorry you're dealing with this also. Hopefully it won't last too long.

tired architect
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Apr 2024, 8:03 am

DazyDaisy wrote:
Yes, I know it can be scaring, especially if you are not 100% sure that you will not be exposed to another kind of stress on your new job. I, personally, gave up from my career in my mid thirties, because it ruined my health. But it may not be a good choice for everyone. I was ready to earn less money by doing something less responsible, less draining, less chalinging, but also less stressful. And it was something I could have be doing from home or by freelancing. So, maybe you want to really think carefully if it is a really good choice for you. If you already feel stressed just by thinking of it, maybe it is not. Maybe there are other ways you could reduce stress on your current job.

May I ask what kind of fermented vegetable beverage you drink? Sounds promising.

Here's a link:
https://mahlaforest.com/en/boris-drink/

I doubt you can buy it outside Finland though.

I'm also trying to switch to a job with less pressure and responsibilities and eventually less money to be made. But I don't mind that, mental health is so much more important.

tired architect
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2024, 2:43 am

SharonB wrote:
I have been having internal tremors for 20 months now. Mine were triggered by COVID, which also disrupted my menstrual cycle for six months. Relevant for me, I read studies that confirm that Long COVID (or boosters) and internal tremors are a thing and disproportionately affect women ages 40-60. My bet is b/c it's exacerbating or overlapping hormonal issues. I think mine was/is an autoimmune response - viral combined with hormonal. I tried everything else for that past year and a half (heart, diet, exercise, hormones, rolfing, medications, etc. etc. etc.) and plan to go to a clinic with an neuroimmuniologist to see if it's an ongoing response or damage already done (and I'm slowly recovering). 20 months of internal tremors (buzzing) every night - not severe, but severely chronic. Yes, I wake up every night, many times a night. Yuck. I also developed tinnitus after COVID. Perimenopause can cause these things, but I'd bet they'd have been mild to nothing for me if I hadn't had a viral infection to "kick" it all off. Regardless of the cause for you, sorry you're dealing with this also. Hopefully it won't last too long.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing the tremors too. But it is comforting to know I'm not just making this up. All the doctors I've met have been so clueless.

The combination of immune system stress and hormonal issues could be the issue in my case too. The diverticulitis I had before the tremors started had my immune system in high alert for 2-3 weeks. You going through Covid must of course have been on a whole another level in that sense.

You tried hormones, do you mean estrogen? I'm thinking of trying it next, although I think it's not recommended for me because I used to get myomas before menopause.

Would be great to hear if the neuroimmunologist you meet has any answers!

Also another similarity: my tinnitus feels like its gotten worse since I got the tremors. But I've had it already since childhood.

Thank you so much for your input ❤️ Hopefully your tremors continue to get better.