Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 10:51 am

I watched the Oprah special last night and here are some of my takes:

1. there is an obesity gene and no matter how much the person diets they are still going to be obese.

2. Being obese does not mean a lack of will power or a lack of self-discipline.

3. A person suffering from obesity usually has a low self esteem.

4. There are new drugs that can treat obesity.

What are some of your takes?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 8:12 am

I forgot all about it. I was going to watch it. I like Oprah. She worked hard to get to the top and she had a working class beginning.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 9:11 pm

It's a shame that they haven't found a drug that makes bigots lose their negative attitude towards obesity, instead of medicating people who aren't dangerously overweight. I would think that without that social attitude, there'd be no great problem with self-esteem.

I'm not an Oprah Winfrey fan, but a lot of people are, so they'll probably accept the blindingly obvious from her better than they'd accept it from me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 9:31 pm

giving up refined carbs by itself worked for me, YMMV but a lot of people have found at least short-term success with this regimen.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 9:36 pm

But being obese is bad for your health. I don't smoke or drink but I may die in a few years because of my weight.

When I when my late 20s I worked extra hard exercising and eating healthy, and finally for the first in my life I was somewhat thin. Of course it was too good to last, and my obsessive fear of gaining the weight back led me to do things that weren't healthy, either.

Today I happened to accidentally turn my camera phone on and saw my face and how fat and ugly it is. I have RUFF -
Resting Ugly Fat Face. Or maybe Really Ugly Fat Face, since I don't have to be resting my face.