Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 10:28 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_trash

My favorite part of this page:

Quote:
According to sociologist Allyson Drinkard, writing in The Social History of the American Family, to be considered "white trash" in modern American society is different from simply being poor and white. The term

...conjures up images of trailer parks, cars on blocks, drug and alcohol abuse, family violence, neglected children, stupid adults, fist fighting, loud and abrasive language, poor dental and physical health, garishness, promiscuous women, rebel flag regalia, incest, and inbreeding.[1]

Drinkard writes that as economic inequality continues to grow in the United States, the number of poor white people in both rural and urban areas will continue to grow. At the same time, as white privilege declines in general and minorities continue to hold a growing percentage of jobs in a declining job market, the poor white segment of the population will continue to be caught in the paradox of being a part of a privileged class, but without being able to benefit from their supposed privilege. Being white will no longer enable them to get and hold a good job, or to earn a suitable income. Poor white people, like other oppressed minorities, are born trapped in poverty, and – again, like other minorities – are blamed for their predicament, and for not being able to "raise themselves" out of their social conditions and economic status. Meanwhile, upper- and middle-class whites will continue to label them as "white trash" in order to solidify their feeling of superiority by making sure that "white trash" people are seen as outsiders.[1]

Historian Nancy Isenberg, author of White Trash: The 400-Year Untold Story of Class in America, says that

White trash is a central, if disturbing, thread in our national narrative. The very existence of such people – both in their visibility and invisibilty – is proof that American society obsesses over the mutable labels we give to the neighbors we wish not to notice. "They are not who we are." But they are who we are and have been a fundamental part of our history, whether we like it or not.[88]

I'm a member of this demographic myself btw...

And I find the hypocrisy of activists and politicians who ignore America's classism problem amusing.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 10:32 am

I'm highly skeptical of anyone who tries to present themselves as left-leaning but s**ts all over poor people.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 10:44 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm highly skeptical of anyone who tries to present themselves as left-leaning but s**ts all over poor people.

Which is precisely why I don't trust the left either. Hillary Clinton referred to people like us as "deplorables", a term still used by the left today (and even she herself admitted later it was a "political mistake") and people wonder why these same people they insult went flocking to Trump's side.

I'm not saying I agree with that of course... but I understand why poor whites would choose a leader who feeds into their grievances over the leaders who look down on them and dismiss them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 10:54 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Which is precisely why I don't trust the left either. Hillary Clinton referred to people like us as "deplorables", a term still used by the left today (and even she herself admitted later it was a "political mistake") and people wonder why these same people they insult went flocking to Trump's side.

I'm not saying I agree with that of course... but I understand why poor whites would choose a leader who feeds into their grievances over the leaders who look down on them and dismiss them.

I don't think Hillary was entirely wrong, there are a lot of people who would rather stew in their grievances rather than see changes that might help them or anyone else be implemented.

But, even if some of their grievances are nonsense others have merit. If they're blaming non-whites or queers doing better for why they're struggling, that's nonsense, but when they complain that things are biased in favour of better-off people they're not wrong.

It's hard to help people who are bitter and resentful, because some of them become accustomed to feeling that way and don't want any help. That doesn't mean those people are monsters but it can mean you'll find yourself dragging them kicking and screaming towards any attempts at making things better.

When those people embrace a crabs in a bucket mentality and try to undermine any attempts at helping anyone it's easy to see them as deplorable and in that context it's not wrong to call them what they are, but one needs to remember that's only a limited context and not the entirety of who they are.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 11:08 am

funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I don't think Hillary was entirely wrong, there are a lot of people who would rather stew in their grievances rather than see changes that might help them or anyone else be implemented.

But, even if some of their grievances are nonsense others have merit. If they're blaming non-whites or queers doing better for why they're struggling, that's nonsense, but when they complain that things are biased in favour of better-off people they're not wrong.

It's hard to help people who are bitter and resentful, because some of them become accustomed to feeling that way and don't want any help. That doesn't mean those people are monsters but it can mean you'll find yourself dragging them kicking and screaming towards any attempts at making things better.

When those people embrace a crabs in a bucket mentality and try to undermine any attempts at helping anyone it's easy to see them as deplorable and in that context it's not wrong to call them what they are, but one needs to remember that's only a limited context and not the entirety of who they are.

I agree with much of what you say, but still It's hard to ignore the condenscending attitudes of classist snobs who pretend to care about those who are disadvantaged in life when they really don't care about us, although I understand why some of it is brought on ourselves... It really does remind me of the Germans after they lost World War 1 and were left impoverished, starving, and humilated by that treaty they signed with the British. Then we all know what happened next when a certain charismatic genocidal megalomaniac came along and gave them convient scapegoats to blame.

The fact that my country seens to be repeating Germany's history reminds me of this old Latin quote "Tu Fui Ego Eris" which means "What you are, I was. What I am, you will be."

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 11:13 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I agree with much of what you say, but still It's hard to ignore the condenscending attitudes of classist snobs who pretend to care about those who are disadvantaged in life when they really don't care about us, although I understand why some of it is brought on ourselves...

I think they care to an extent, but also believe personal responsibility plays a role.

They'll happily build a trough, fill it with water and let the horses know there's water to be had.

They'll just get bent out of shape when some of them don't seem interested in drinking, especially if they view that behaviour as a choice. They also like to ignore any other factors that play into that decision and often seem to think shaming is the most effective way to change people's minds.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 11:22 am

funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I agree with much of what you say, but still It's hard to ignore the condenscending attitudes of classist snobs who pretend to care about those who are disadvantaged in life when they really don't care about us, although I understand why some of it is brought on ourselves...

I think they care to an extent, but also believe personal responsibility plays a role.

They'll happily build a trough, fill it with water and let the horses know there's water to be had.

They'll just get bent out of shape when some of them don't seem interested in drinking, especially if they view that behaviour as a choice. They also like to ignore any other factors that play into that decision and often seem to think shaming is the most effective way to change people's minds.

I don't think people respond well to being shamed though because it creates bitter resentment, and one of the problems is that just like with any stereotype that lumps people together it lumps every poor white person living in a trailer park who comes from an unstable family life as that "other" that isn't worthy of any redemption or help. Not everyone who grows up like this fits the stereotype of the bigoted Confederate-flag waving MAGA, but that's exactly how my family tends to get treated and we're not like that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 11:28 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I don't think people respond well to being shamed though because it creates bitter resentment, and one of the problems is that just like with any stereotype that lumps people together it lumps every poor white person living in a trailer park who comes from an unstable family life as that "other" that isn't worthy of any redemption or help. Not everyone who grows up like this fits the stereotype of the bigoted Confederate-flag waving MAGA, but that's exactly how my family tends to get treated and we're not like that.

I'd agree with all of that.

It does often seem like a portion of people are only interested in helping what they view as 'respectable people', which means that anything they deem to be trailer park or ghetto culture will lead to negative judgments and a lack of empathy.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 11:48 am

funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

It does often seem like a portion of people are only interested in helping what they view as 'respectable people', which means that anything they deem to be trailer park or ghetto culture will lead to negative judgments and a lack of empathy.

Exactly, it's really sad both ways which is why I believe we should focus on America's often ignored issue with classism in addition to our long and unfortunate history of racism.

Maybe classism is really the wider issue but one that tends to get swept under the rug? Because at times it feels to me like anyone in this country who grows up impoverished whether white or black gets treated badly.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 12:04 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

Exactly, it's really sad both ways which is why I believe we should focus on America's often ignored issue with classism in addition to our long and unfortunate history of racism.

Maybe classism is really the wider issue but one that tends to get swept under the rug? Because at times it feels to me like anyone in this country who grows up impoverished whether white or black gets treated badly.

They're definitely issues that dove-tail and should be addressed together.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 12:09 pm

This is the problem with most "progressive" politicians. Their policies are informed by the class struggle between workers and their bosses, but have nothing to say to some autistic guy who makes a living by sweeping out his brother's gas station.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 12:19 pm

MaxE wrote:
This is the problem with most "progressive" politicians. Their policies are informed by the class struggle between workers and their bosses, but have nothing to say to some autistic guy who makes a living by sweeping out his brother's gas station.

I agree, they're very out of touch with us.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 1:14 pm

Of course, it's "okay" to make fun of "white trash" people because all white people are horrible and to blame for everything wrong with the world. Also only white people are racist.

Just look at The Simpsons, where they have a popular character known as Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel. And nearly every time they show one of Bart or Lisa's possible "bad futures", they are totally white trash (or yellow trash, as the case may be), especially the episode where Lisa is afraid she is losing her intelligence due to a Simpsons gene, and it shows her as an adult married to Ralph Wiggum, and she is very obese, living in a trailer and speaking with a thick southern drawl.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 1:36 pm

I deleted my last post because I was very rude and I think i misunderstood that you were using sarcasm... sorry for being an ass. :oops:

Anyone got a glass of water I can use to wash down my foot?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 10:39 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

The term was invented by the British aristocracy. its largely used by wealthier educated whites to describe poor uneducated whites. If you are looking for somebody to blame then go to the motherland.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 11:36 pm

cyberdad wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

The term was invented by the British aristocracy. its largely used by wealthier educated whites to describe poor uneducated whites. If you are looking for somebody to blame then go to the motherland.

Why do I get the feeling you use this insult all the time yourself and now you're trying to deflect the blame off yourself?

I think the real Karens in this world sometimes hide behind a mask of Wokeness.

That's it, I'm done here.