Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 7:40 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollyw ... 57295/amp/

I don't need to see this movie when it comes out. I'll just wait for the reality show. :skull:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 8:25 pm

This might contribute to stoking tensions, but it could also have the opposite effect not unlike The Day After did.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 8:40 pm

I gotta say, having mental illness in a time when people are taking a second American Civil War AND Third World War serious is depressing as f**k. :cry:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 9:10 pm

"warning" or "message" entertainments seldom work out as their creators expected.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 9:11 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I gotta say, having mental illness in a time when people are taking a second American Civil War AND Third World War serious is depressing as f**k. :cry:

With any luck tensions will calm. Neither of those outcomes are inevitable even if they're certainly plausible.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 9:12 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

With any luck tensions will calm. Neither of those outcomes are inevitable even if they're certainly plausible.

I sure hope so. :(

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 9:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
"warning" or "message" entertainments seldom work out as their creators expected.

The Day After sure seems to have delivered it's message effectively to both the US and Soviet Union.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 10:58 am

funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

The Day After sure seems to have delivered it's message effectively to both the US and Soviet Union.

The Day After had the effect it did because it was very well done and aired in The United States. As good as The Day After was the British TV movie Threads that aired a year later was IMHO significantly more powerful. During that 1982-1984 period there was real fear a trigger happy Reagan was going to launch of world ending nuclear war. A pro Nuclear Freeze demonstration in New York drew 2 million easily toping the vaunted Vietnam era protests and we were bombarded with Nuclear Holocaust themed movies and songs.

Civil War is dropping on a very different country then the one The Day After did. I have no idea what effect it will have, or if it will have any effect. Also we don’t know if it is a message movie or an exploitative movie in the vain of The Hunt.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 12:14 pm

I guess making a joke here about Hawkeye and Wanda in another epic team battle would probably be off topic.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm

Oh heck, here is goes

Civil War 2024

Team Fury:

Nick Fury: Leading the team as a master strategist.
Black Widow (Yelena Belova): Natasha Romanoff's sister, with her own skills and motivations.
Falcon (Sam Wilson/Captain America): A capable leader and fighter, now carrying the mantle of Captain America.
Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff): A powerful ally with unique abilities.
Ant-Man (Scott Lang): Resourceful and adaptable, providing support and expertise.
Valkyrie: A strong warrior and leader, representing Asgard.
War Machine (James Rhodes): Bringing military experience and loyalty to the team.

Team Bucky:

Winter Soldier (Bucky Barnes): Leading a team based on personal connections and shared experiences.
Spider-Man (Peter Parker): A young hero with strong morals and convictions.
Hawkeye (Clint Barton): A skilled marksman and experienced Avenger.
Wong: A powerful sorcerer and ally of Doctor Strange.
Shuri: A brilliant scientist and potential successor to the Black Panther mantle.
Okoye: Leader of the Dora Milaje, representing Wakanda.
Doctor Strange: A powerful sorcerer with a deep understanding of mystical threats.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2024, 11:09 am

Well we can only hope there's not a "reality show" based on this movie.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2024, 11:33 am

This is about the ~only upcoming movie I'm looking forward to seeing in the theatre this year. 8)

..in part because there are almost zero upcoming movies due to the industry being on strike the last 1.5 years or so, but Also because it looks like it's gonna be pretty interesting. Not sure if it's promoting civil war, warning against, or both.. :chin:

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2024, 10:13 pm

I got out of seeing this movie in IMAX over an hour ago. I adored it and am convinced that it is Alex Garland's directorial opus magnum. It sucks he won't be directing anymore, but he is a gifted sci-fi screenplay writer and I wish him well in future projects.

I remember feeling broken after seeing Avengers: Infinity War, but this somber sensation I'm feeling now after Civil War rivals it. I would go as far as say that this movie is better than Oppenheimer, which also had an important message for our current society.

Regardless of political beliefs, I can't recommend this movie enough, no matter how controversial it may be!

10/10

Jib's Medium

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 10:20 pm

Meh, I don't care how "good" it is. I don't ever want to watch it knowing that my country could one day break out into an actual civil war any time now. :|

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 11:01 pm

the depiction of Texas and California teaming up totally ruins the whole premise for me.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 11:23 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the depiction of Texas and California teaming up totally ruins the whole premise for me.

I agree. That's so bizarre and you'd probably have a better chance of seeing a Dragon and a Unicorn making babies together. They don't exist, but I could NEVER see California and Texas teaming up. :lol: