Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 12:02 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Also even though I like this video, I can tell the people who made it didn't do any real research into Lilith and took everything wiccans say about her on google at face value.

Wiccans? I think you mean Jews. Most literary references to Lilith come to us from Jewish sources, mostly in the Talmud, but also the dubiously canon Alphabet of Ben-Sirach, etc. And they all tend to portray Lilith as a mighty and lonely spirit, a dominator of men, blissful release to the doomed unborn, the first spurned wife of Adam and the wife of Samael, a mother of demons and a patroness of abortions.

Sure, maybe the Babylonian tradition is "older." But I place much greater stock in living Jewish traditions, than in some white European professor's interpretation of ten thousand year old Babylonian chicken scratches that he might be reading upside down for all we know.

That being said...... I don't think anyone should be worshiping her as a full-on goddess, and Lilith-as-goddess is a very silly new-age phenomenon. But much like Medusa was to the Athenians, the mighty visage of Lilith today is a shield of terror against every rapist and patriarch. Yes, I do think more forward-thinking feminist types ought to remember her name.

It should be stated, for historical context, that the abortion-industrial complex is largely a product of modernity and you are very unlikely to find references to any mythical figures being a patron(ess) of abortions. Women have been having abortions since time immemorial and usually they were performed in utter secrecy and never spoken of. Many of the old techniques were quite dangerous, and involved the ingestion (or vaginal insertion) of various toxic herbs, heavy metals, etc. Women literally poisoning themselves to end the life inside them.

On the more supernatural side of things there are some very old spells, in some very old texts, in which Lilith or one of her sisters may be called upon to terminate a pregnancy. This is an exceptionally malevolent art and should never be sought by a magician who would consider themselves a friend of the light. Nothing "blissful" about these four, they're gatekeepers of damnation, pray you never feel the need to ask for their intercession.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 12:30 pm

Barchan wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Also even though I like this video, I can tell the people who made it didn't do any real research into Lilith and took everything wiccans say about her on google at face value.

Wiccans? I think you mean Jews. Most literary references to Lilith come to us from Jewish sources, mostly in the Talmud, but also the dubiously canon Alphabet of Ben-Sirach, etc. And they all tend to portray Lilith as a mighty and lonely spirit, a dominator of men, blissful release to the doomed unborn, the first spurned wife of Adam and the wife of Samael, a mother of demons and a patroness of abortions.

Sure, maybe the Babylonian tradition is "older." But I place much greater stock in living Jewish traditions, than in some white European professor's interpretation of ten thousand year old Babylonian chicken scratches that he might be reading upside down for all we know.

That being said...... I don't think anyone should be worshiping her as a full-on goddess, and Lilith-as-goddess is a very silly new-age phenomenon. But much like Medusa was to the Athenians, the mighty visage of Lilith today is a shield of terror against every rapist and patriarch. Yes, I do think more forward-thinking feminist types ought to remember her name.

It should be stated, for historical context, that the abortion-industrial complex is largely a product of modernity and you are very unlikely to find references to any mythical figures being a patron(ess) of abortions. Women have been having abortions since time immemorial and usually they were performed in utter secrecy and never spoken of. Many of the old techniques were quite dangerous, and involved the ingestion (or vaginal insertion) of various toxic herbs, heavy metals, etc. Women literally poisoning themselves to end the life inside them.

On the more supernatural side of things there are some very old spells, in some very old texts, in which Lilith or one of her sisters may be called upon to terminate a pregnancy. This is an exceptionally malevolent art and should never be sought by a magician who would consider themselves a friend of the light. Nothing "blissful" about these four, they're gatekeepers of damnation, pray you never feel the need to ask for their intercession.

Indeed. Lilith is not one to be taken lightly if one wishes to dabble in the occult like I have. I used to have a shrine dedicated to her in my bedroom and all she did was bring me suffering, and no I'm not exaggerating on my experiences. I was being plagued with terrifying nightmares every night and a burning desire to wish harm on others. I finally had enough and destroyed the altar I had dedicated to her, but I think she still holds a kind of terrifying influence over my life and frankly I don't know what to do about it or how to rid myself of her. :|

I really wish I had never went down that rabbit hole...

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 9:16 pm

Ya'll know what I find ironic in regards to these demons? The one I actually sympathize with is poor Belphegor the Archdemon of Sloth. During the "Holy War" between God and Lucifer's angels he refused to pick a side and after the war was over he was condemned to hell as a traitor for not picking either side.

Gee, I can't imagine what THAT is like in the times we live in now. :lol: