If we could send people to the past or future and back.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 1:06 pm

How would things change if we could send people to the past or future and back to the present?

Just being able to send people on one way trips to the future or past wouldn't change things much. People being able to return to the present to tell us about it would change things a lot.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 1:34 pm

There is no way to tell what could happen sending someone into the past or future and back again. It would be like the "Butterfly Effect".

I think it would be useful to send people from the present to pre-historic times instead of spending money keeping them in prisons :-)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 1:41 pm

I don't think I'd like it.

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2024, 3:02 pm

I don't think time travel is possible because of the risk of creating a logical paradox, like if you accidentally (or on purpose) killed your parents.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 5:20 pm

utterly absurd wrote:
I don't think time travel is possible because of the risk of creating a logical paradox, like if you accidentally (or on purpose) killed your parents.

There are possible ways around this such as if someone enters a parallel universe or if someone is only able to watch the past like a video, but not actually interact with it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 5:25 pm

DanielW wrote:
There is no way to tell what could happen sending someone into the past or future and back again. It would be like the "Butterfly Effect".

I think it would be useful to send people from the present to pre-historic times instead of spending money keeping them in prisons :-)

Better off sending them to the future, where they might receive the help they need. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 5:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DanielW wrote:

Better off sending them to the future, where they might receive the help they need. :nerdy:

What did your future self ever do to you to deserve that?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 5:32 pm

DanielW wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
DanielW wrote:

What did your future self ever do to you to deserve that?

Send 'em further. :lol:
Doesn't the past already have enough problems?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 7:01 pm

It sounds like an okay idea. The thing is that if I was sent to the future for a few weeks, I would be unwilling to enjoy being in the present world again. The future seems so much better than the present.