Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 4:20 pm

How do people live on less money on here? How can they buy stuff?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 4:43 pm

Are you moving into low income housing? That should help. Are you on food stamps? I’m careful about my food budget. I eat a lot of rice. I buy secondhand stuff a lot too. Small savings here and there can really add up. I try to save a little bit every month so I can buy bigger items when I need them/something breaks.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 5:03 pm

Grocery markets have holiday sales on food. Bought 4 lbs of boneless spiral ham for just $12! That is really cheap for meat but it was on sale for Easter. For Saint Patrick's day they have corned beef brisket on sale for $8/lb.
One of the stores I shop has a saver's card and digital coupons. The digital coupons can be a really good savings.
I'll use the freezer to store large quantities of meat so I don't have to eat it all in a short time.

If you need new clothes Kohl's has very good sales. 50 to 70% off just about everything I buy!
Better than the thrift store. Sometimes the stuff in thrift stores is nearly worn out or has damage I didn't spot.

It helps to learn how to cook using basic ingredients but that may be hard to learn.
But, in the USA raw chicken and beef can be reasonably cheap. But, some markets are better than others when it comes to the quality of meats and how fresh the fruits and veggies are.
There is one market I won't shop at because the quality of there stuff isn't very good.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 5:10 pm

I was so poor I had to shop at the thrift store during sales. You can find nice if not entirely new things there. It just takes a bit of routing.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 5:20 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
How do people live on less money on here? How can they buy stuff?

People like me living on less don't buy "stuff" I pay as little as I can for what I need (Rent, utilities, phone, and then food. I don't have cable tv, or streaming services, I get my entertainment free from the library, I always ask for clothes, and restaurant gift certificates on my birthday and holidays, because my budget doesn't allow for restaurant food or deliveries.

I feel like I did as a late teenager, eating oatmeal, ramen, and frozen vegetables. To save on groceries, I've mostly stopped eating meat except as a treat. Its not so bad, but it does take getting used to.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Mar 2024, 6:24 pm

I'm used to being poor. I never bought lots of personal stuff except for about a year after I quit working at my second job. My mental health wasn't great then & my psych med combo wasn't working well. I was trying to fill the void by buying things. The last few years we've usually been eating out less & I've been trying to cut down on buying snacks & junk food but I really need to try a lot harder partly for health reasons besides money. I have some various physical issues I'm trying to better manage so I could start looking for a job at some point. Summer is going to be tough because our electric bill can triple. We have to pay to run our ACs & we're on the third floor. Our living-room AC cant keep up when the temp outside is in the 90s, even when we're running it nonstop the temp inside can be about 80.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 7:22 pm

I wear skimpy crop tops and short shorts during the summer so I'm comfortable without running the A/C!
Haven't needed to run it the past two years and kept the electric bill really low!

I also switched out the lighting to high efficiency LED bulbs to save on electricity.

It can be easy to buy too many groceries! If you can't eat it before it spoils or goes bad it may be better to buy the smallest sizes instead. It does cost money to refrigerate stuff so I'll usually empty out the refrigerator/freezer in June and not stock up on frozen goods.