Politics is my addiction of choice. :oops:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 12:38 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Politics is my addiction of choice. :oops:

Same. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 12:41 am

Who knows? Maybe I'm secretly a repressed megalomaniac who craves power myself? :king:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 1:20 am

I've noticed lately that people say "I'll burn that bridge when I get to it", instead of the original saying that goes "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it". It must be because humans are so hard wired to be violent and destructive, burning a bridge sounds a lot better than just crossing it.

Me, I'm thinking of saying "I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it". Because humans are so horrible I can't stand them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 1:25 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I've noticed lately that people say "I'll burn that bridge when I get to it", instead of the original saying that goes "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it". It must be because humans are so hard wired to be violent and destructive, burning a bridge sounds a lot better than just crossing it.

I'll burn that bridge when I get to it parodies I'll cross that bridge when I get to it by referencing another popular idiom, leaving a different implication. The original form implies one will invest effort on solving a problem only once it's encountered, the parody implies that reaching the problem will force one onto a path they can't turn back from because their solution will either involve cutting ties or inevitably result in alienating people they were once close to.

https://englishexplorations.check.uni-h ... get-to-it/

They're intended to mean different things, not for the one to just be a more violent version of the established idiom.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 3:57 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

Me, I'm thinking of saying "I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it". Because humans are so horrible I can't stand them.

Anybody remember the train on the bridge scence from the 1986 movie 'Stand By Me?'

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 6:08 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Anybody remember the train on the bridge scence from the 1986 movie 'Stand By Me?'

What bridge-crossing saying(s) might apply to the train on the bridge in the movie 'Stand By Me?'