For those who have strong opinions...

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2024, 7:58 am

I also tend to have strong opinions and a comment I've quoted just made me think if I, sometimes, do the same - first form an opinion and then look for the facts to back it up. Sometimes we just want to believe certain ways because it is more convenient for us.

But it shouldn't bother you, it was not directed at you, as far as I am concerned.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 8:02 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I'm just gonna start keeping all my opinions to myself from now on. Nobody really cares about my opinions anyway and its only a matter of time before things get so bad that they round people like me up to place in concentration camps. :bounce:

Can you tell me your thoughts? Just talk in this thread or open another one

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 1:15 pm

I remember in the Garfield and Friends cartoon there was a trio of singing, dancing bears called the Buddy Bears. They were created by a writer who REALLY hated "the complainer is always wrong" message from other cartoons they worked for, such as The Get Along Gang. The Buddy Bears were always agreeing with each other, no matter what, and in their songs they'd say if you disagree it means you're WRONG. In one episode they had Roy Rooster from US Acres play a character in their show within a show, called Big Bad Buddy Bear. And then they brutally punish Roy by dropping huge heavy objects on his head for things like saying he wanted Chinese food for lunch instead of salad, or wanting chocolate ice cream instead of French vanilla - and they were ordering individual cones so why did it even matter!?! :lol: And then the bears get really savage by happily telling the viewers to never have an opinion of their own because it will always be wrong. But then Roy interrupted them and told the viewers having different opinions was okay, you don't have to like or do everything your friends are into. And since Roy was basically a jerk most of the time, that really says something.

These days it seems the internet is full of Buddy Bears. But unlike the bears in Garfield and Friends, who were almost always happy, cheerful and friendly, internet Buddy Bears are more like bully bears that are vicious and will maul you to death for disagreeing or harmlessly liking something they don't.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 1:59 pm

babybird wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
I have some strong opinions on certain topics, but I tend to keep them to myself. Opinions are inevitably offensive to someone and I don't purposely set out to offend people.

You shouldn't have to worry about offending people with harmless optinions really but it's almost an impossible task these days.

People have a right to be offended, but their status as offended doesn't mean anyone else is obliged to do anything about it.

Personally, the main reason I make an effort to not cause too much offence is because offended people don't like to consider the argument that has just offended them.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 2:01 pm

I'm offended that people are offended by the offended. :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Mar 2024, 4:16 pm

Rule 34 of the universe is~ if you can say, do, or even think it; somebody somewhere will find it offensive :tired:
I'm an equal opportunity offender :wink:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 4:34 pm

Sometimes people think that if you merely disagree with them you are offended or that you don’t like them even when that couldn’t be further from the case. We all disagree sometimes and most of us find some things offensive. It’s part of being human.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 4:36 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I'm just gonna start keeping all my opinions to myself from now on. Nobody really cares about my opinions anyway and its only a matter of time before things get so bad that they round people like me up to place in concentration camps. :bounce:

I am sure you will manage to avoid the concentration camps, RDF.

You have the advantage of being almost a century beyond when the Nazis were at their most powerful. :nerdy:

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 6:42 pm

i dont really have any strong opinions...im just like kuff this ish i dont give a kuff about any of this kuffing ish :skull:

about an alien corpse
im the one who brought
the truth to the light

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 7:21 pm

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

I think this is attributed to Bruce Lee but it sounds a little older, like Sun Tzu's "Art of War" which applies principles of Confucianism and buddhism

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 8:13 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

I am sure you will manage to avoid the concentration camps, RDF.

You have the advantage of being almost a century beyond when the Nazis were at their most powerful. :nerdy:

Neonazis and White Supremacist groups really are inflitrating our government though. :|

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 8:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

I think this is attributed to Bruce Lee but it sounds a little older, like Sun Tzu's "Art of War" which applies principles of Confucianism and buddhism

I'm pretty sure that a similar philosophy can be found along those lines in "The 5 Rings" by the famed samurai Miyamoto Musashi.

I really want to order those books someday given my admiration for East Asian culture. They have a bundle on Amazon I'm most curious about. :nerdy:

https://www.amazon.com/Way-Warrior-3-Ar ... 72c653200c

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 9:05 pm

On the flipside there are some scam artists who offer "fake news" to make money off you
https://www.amazon.com/Trump-How-Rich-D ... 0345481038

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 9:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
On the flipside there are some scam artists who offer "fake news" to make money off you
https://www.amazon.com/Trump-How-Rich-D ... 0345481038

I know... and when you live in a state surrounded by people who fall for his BS like I do, it just kind of eats away at me over time... Not exaggerating. :(

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 10:28 pm

I just love how people from the 50s say all younger people are offended by everything, and yet they flip out when a movie has a non-white main character or shows two same-sex people kissing each other.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 10:36 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I just love how people from the 50s say all younger people are offended by everything, and yet they flip out when a movie has a non-white main character or shows two same-sex people kissing each other.

But not all elderly people think that way. Frankly I think it's just as agist when young people treat Boomers as being "evil" for being old.

That kind of thinking is what lead to Mao Zedong's Cultural Revolution when he had his red army of young Chinese Communists brutally attack and murder many older generations of Chinese folk.

History is repeating itself in more ways than one. :skull: