Leon's "Kill Jews" cocktail tradition hate or innocuous?

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 4:50 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I as a Jew have a lot of difficulty seeing “kill Jews” as innocuous at any time, never mind at this especially sensitive time.

Yeah, while I’m not a Jew, I agree with you. It’s not like people would be completely unaware of what they were saying. People know history, including about the Holocaust. I have trouble believing that such a phrase would be innocuous, not that making light of killing a group of people is a nice thing to do in general.

You'd think, at the very least, that the immediate post-WWII era would have triggered some self-reflection over whether or not a drink called kill Jews was really a proud tradition worth preserving.

You would think...except that in 1945 Spain was still ruled by Franco. A fascist dictator allied to Hitler and Mussolini (who aided Franco's ascent to power in the Spanish Civil War of the 1930s), and wasnt free of him until he died in a hospital in the 1970s. So being the last remaining "axis power" maybe why Spain lagged in its public political correctness.

Spain was never an Axis power. The Tripartite pact was between Germany, Italy and Japan. Spain was never among the signatories. Spain was also not a party to the Pact of Steel, only to the Anti-Comintern treaty.

Beyond that, from 1946 onward Spain needed to get close to NATO, not remind NATO of who they used to be allied with.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 4:54 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I have an honest question, because I never thought about this until recently...

Is there anything racist/antisemitic about those purple houseplants called "Wondering Jews"? I have them in my garden and just about everyone I know grows them. They're very common here...

But I'm wondering where that name even comes from? :?

Wandering Jews, not wondering. :wink:

They're named after this legend.

I did not have knowledge of the legend but the phrase has always struck me as saying you people were wandering because every place you went they realized taking you in was a mistake. I until now had no idea it was the name of a plant.

“Wandering Jew” is near the bottom of the list of antisemitic slurs in America. It is not relatable to the Jewish-American experience. It always struck me as a European thing

I would hear the offensive joke occassionly that they were called "Wandering Jews" because no matter how hard you try, you can't kill them once they take root (and I never liked that joke).

I felt there had to be more to the meaning of the name than that though. So thanks guys for enlightening me.

The plant itself is very pretty though.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 5:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

Is there anything racist/antisemitic about those purple houseplants called "Wondering Jews"? I have them in my garden and just about everyone I know grows them. They're very common here...

I did not have knowledge of the legend but the phrase has always struck me as saying you people were wandering because every place you went they realized taking you in was a mistake. I until now had no idea it was the name of a plant.

“Wandering Jew” is near the bottom of the list of antisemitic slurs in America. It is not relatable to the Jewish-American experience. It always struck me as a European thing

It seems like more of a trope than something commonly used as a slur. But the euphemism international cosmopolitan comes to mind, it's how tankies say wandering Jew without quite saying it.

The whole trope of double loyalty seems to be rooted in it. Double loyalty seems to be a common fear to have of peoples a society others, and it always seems self-fulfilling to an extent.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 5:02 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

I would hear the offensive joke occassionly that they were called "Wandering Jews" because no matter how hard you try, you can't kill them once they take root (and I never liked that joke).

I felt there had to be more to the meaning of the name than that though. So thanks guys for enlightening me.

The plant itself is very pretty though.

Surprised they're not called cockroach flowers.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Mar 2024, 5:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

What I had in mind was swapping "Jew" for some kind of game animal with a similar sounding name.

There is a - possibly apocryphal - story about a Spanish man who had just joined the Republican army during the Civil War saying "if I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists".

I'd propose "killing rabbits" as a better name for the Spanish drinking custom than "killing Jews".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 6:01 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

What I had in mind was swapping "Jew" for some kind of game animal with a similar sounding name.

There is a - possibly apocryphal - story about a Spanish man who had just joined the Republican army during the Civil War saying "if I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists".

I'd propose "killing rabbits" as a better name for the Spanish drinking custom than "killing Jews".

Works for me!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 7:22 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Works for me!

Wild boar would get more traction, as Spanish people love to hunt and eat those.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 7:46 pm

or kill the truffles if you are Spanish vegan

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 7:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Spanish people eat meat.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 8:07 pm

MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Spanish people eat meat.

Some don’t.

Quote:
A recent study concludes that in Spain 4% of the population is vegetarian -they do not eat meat or fish- and 0.8% is vegan -they do not eat dairy products or eggs. Around 7% are flexitarians, i.e. they tend to eat less and less animal protein.

https://www.agroberichtenbuitenland.nl/ ... s%20higher.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 8:11 pm

MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Spanish people eat meat.

Spain is the world's biggest producer of Tuber melanosporum (black winter truffles). Known as black gold or black diamonds, Tuber melanosporum are sought-after by chefs worldwide. For rich people its on par with Russian caviar.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 5:05 am

I have had these. The homemade ones though.

https://www.grandesvinos.com/en/blog/recipe-of-borage-crespillos-stuffed/

The Spaniards like to go out and pick the borage to make these, on days they aren't hurting wild boar.