Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SailorsGuy12
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2024, 7:50 pm

Do you think edible computers or edible electronics generally could be a thing in the future?

"Capitalism" or free-market != oppression

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 8:59 pm

Ya mean....popping your cell phone into your mouth?

What possible need would there be for THAT?

If you were stranded at sea in a life raft you might be desperate for food. But you would also need your device for communication.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 9:48 am

Edible electronics, probably not. Biodegradable computer chips, very likely if they can be built non-toxic. We have so many chips that have built in obsolescence already. Many of them are not recycled.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 11:56 am

What is meant by edible? Nano-bots small enough to swallow? Perhaps. Nano tech is already used to make silicon chips with techniques that operate on that scale. Designer molecule are being engineered on that scale for medical use and mechanical/material/chemical usage. A clock is a kind of computer by some definitions. A clock can be made entirely of wood. Wood can be swallowed if ground up and mixed with things like breakfast cereal (added fiber).

I once took medicine in a capsule that was made of titanium. A laser was used to drill a hole in one end and the medicine would slowly leak out over time at a precise rate. This was a new “slow release Ritalin” at the time. The capsule itself was not digestible but it could be swallowed. It “passed through the system” (if you know what I mean).
Embedded medical devices such as pacemakers with microcontrollers are already in use, some can report status and history wirelessly, and be queried and adjusted with a radio signal. Hearing implants are similar.
It isn’t unreasonable to envision some of these technologies being combined (called convergence).

wikipedia - Nanorobotics

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanorobotics

Nanomedicine: Promising Tiny Machine for the Healthcare in Future-A Review

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3243873/

Picture of ant holding a tiny gear 199

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Adv ... _331485670

Smallest computer

https://www.popularmechanics.com/techno ... rain-rice/

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 1:33 pm

I can't think of a situation in which anybody would get much happiness out of eating a computer. But if somebody's figured out how to make them edible, no doubt the marketers would know how to make people believe they'd like to eat them.

Facebook certainly knows how to eat my system resources. :evil:

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 6:57 pm

https://www.popsci.com/computers-are-poisonous/

https://www.wired.com/2008/12/ingestible-chip/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 9:20 pm

There is a difference between 'edible' and 'swallowable' . . .

Battery-powered, swallowable cameras the size of a large pill have been on the market since 2001.  About a dozen companies make such capsules to take pictures of the esophagus, small intestine, and colon as the capsules move through the gastrointestinal tract -- offering a less invasive alternative to endoscopies and colonoscopies.  And in 2012, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration cleared for human use a silicon chip the size of a grain of sand that can be embedded in pharmaceutical pills to monitor whether people are taking prescribed drugs as they should.

•••

Ingestible sensors would give doctors direct, real-time access to the complex chemistry present in the GI tract while it operates normally with food and liquid in it, something not currently possible via standard tests like stool studies or endoscopies.  Such sensors could probe the gut’s proteins, electrolytes, enzymes, hormones, and metabolites -- plus the trillions of bacterial cells that influence many aspects of human health.  In the stomach, imbalances in the levels of gastric acids, digestive enzymes, hormones, and more can indicate disorders, such as ulcers, inflammation, or cancer.  Short-chain fatty acids in the colon are a signature of its health. The small intestine carries a similar complex mixture.  Makers of ingestible sensors want to dig into this trove of information.

Read the Complete and Unedited Article  HERE .

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 9:24 pm

I think there will be an increasing number of medical devices you swallow.

I doubt you should be chewing them.

And I don't expect to eat any for their good taste.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Apr 2024, 5:01 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Ya mean....popping your cell phone into your mouth?

What possible need would there be for THAT?
The idea could be usefull for some older theme spy movies. Like James Bond swallows his gadgets when he gets captured or getting strip-seached before being granted access to something :wink:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 5:23 pm

Edible means you would be able to eat it. That would probably damage whatever it is. There is some work being done on tech you can swallow though. The big issue is the battery - you cant safely ingest battery acids.

https://www.embs.org/pulse/articles/tec ... n-swallow/

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 5:59 pm

DanielW wrote:
Edible means you would be able to eat it. That would probably damage whatever it is. There is some work being done on tech you can swallow though. The big issue is the battery - you cant safely ingest battery acids.

https://www.embs.org/pulse/articles/tec ... n-swallow/

You could put it in a condom and hope it doesn't burst before it comes out the other end.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 6:25 pm

8O :D

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 12:27 am

How about electric food that changes flavour as you eat it?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 9:35 am

SailorsGuy12 wrote:
Do you think edible computers or edible electronics generally could be a thing in the future?

I hope so, I'm starving.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 9:42 am

DuckHairback wrote:
SailorsGuy12 wrote:

I hope so, I'm starving.

Ummm...lithium batteries are finger lickin good! And radium and uranium in some electronics is better than cinnabons. :D

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 10:08 am

Biodegradable computers would certainly be a step towards sustainability.

One thing they have done with ingest-able tech is to provide the power from outside the body. Radio waves can pass through you.

I wish they had had something more targeted when my mom was dieing of cancer. Maybe some kind of swallow-able technology will be the solution to that.

Right now my daughter is dealing with MS. Targeted nano-technology might help some day.

Parkinson’s? Nano-tech to seek and destroy Lewy-bodys and alpha-syn proteins?

Swallow-able computers. HHOS (ha ha only serious).