Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 2:12 pm

babybird wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
babybird wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
I suspect that women are more likely to talk openly about being uncomfortable and to recognize experiences with harassment as such than they were in the past. It doesn’t mean that things didn’t bother them in the past. They are just more likely to recognize it now. The #MeToo movement helped with that.

That's the thing though, a lot of what is not harassment is treated as such in the current day versus a few decades ago.

The mere act of opening up dialogue with a stranger of the opposite sex can be perceived as harassment in the current day.

Yeah people treat you like a creepy weirdo if you just smile at them these days.

Unfortunately, I have witnessed evidence of this trend, also.

Me too first hand. I think men get a bad rap sometimes. The scariest people I've encountered in pubs have been women.

You're a blessing BB. :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 2:13 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
It certainly seems to be, in part, a myth perpetuated by folks online - often folks who do harass women going by their own stories.

I'm sure you're right but i think it's also, and maybe more so, perpetuated by men online who are just scared, as men always have been, of being vulnerable around women. Its so much easier to give yourself the excuse of being wary about being accused of harassment than it is to face your fears and talk to women.

The difference is that the Internet gives men a space to voice this crap and tell each other they're right and they don't have to do anything, they can just wallow in the righteous victimhood of being a man.

I think it's deeply unhealthy.

It seems to be a bit of a circle jerk where guys want to one-up each other with stories of how women just can't be approached, without ever having to consider what portion of the stories are true at all and also what portion are told with important details missing because the guy wants to be accepted rather than called out.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 2:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
babybird wrote:
Yeah people treat you like a creepy weirdo if you just smile at them these days.

You're not in/near London, are you?

:lol: no I am actually from the north west. I think people who live north of the Watford Gap are said to be a lot more friendly to people from the south.

Don't shoot me. I'm just the messenger

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 2:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
It certainly seems to be, in part, a myth perpetuated by folks online - often folks who do harass women going by their own stories.

I'm sure you're right but i think it's also, and maybe more so, perpetuated by men online who are just scared, as men always have been, of being vulnerable around women. Its so much easier to give yourself the excuse of being wary about being accused of harassment than it is to face your fears and talk to women.

The difference is that the Internet gives men a space to voice this crap and tell each other they're right and they don't have to do anything, they can just wallow in the righteous victimhood of being a man.

I think it's deeply unhealthy.

It seems to be a bit of a circle jerk where guys want to one-up each other with stories of how women just can't be approached, without ever having to consider what portion of the stories are true at all and also what portion are told with important details missing because the guy wants to be accepted rather than called out.

Sometimes crucial details gradually reveal themselves though. :lol:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 2:42 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
^ It's not just things that men experience themselves, but also when they see it happen to other people.

In my experience, marginalized and/or disabled people are more likely to be labelled as creeps by women.

I'll give you an example of a real life scenario where some poor guy was unjustly called a creep (note, this is person is not me).

He simply 'liked' perhaps a few too many photos of someone on social media and there was a social storm of him being labelled a creep and people joking about him masturbating over the photos he liked.

He has/had learning disabilities so I'm sure it got to him....

I feel like this illustrates my point. I'm not saying stuff like this doesn't happen. Of course it happens. I've been called a creep and it always feels unjust.

What the Internet does is allows stories like this to be shared. And then someone else pops up and says "hey yeah, something like that happened to me too" and so on and so on until you have a few hundred guys with a few hundred stories that may be spread out globally geographically and over decades temporally but you put them in one place at one time and suddenly it looks like a trend.

Then along comes a guy who is just scared (because we're all scared) and he reads this stuff and then thinks, wow I was right to be scared -women are awful, look at all this evidence from men who risked it and got burned. I'd be better off not to try.

And that's why it's BS - because its easier to believe that something scary is not possible rather than challenge yourself to do it.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 2:45 pm

An extreme case but when I was about 16 or maybe even younger. I went out with a group of men (a lot older than me) because I knew that I would get a free night out. I'd get a meal and drinks and drugs and whatever. I also knew that they wanted sex with me. I still went along even though I didn't want the sex part but I wanted the rest but I didn't tell them that I didn't want the sex part because if I did I knew I wouldn't get a good night out.

So during the meal one of them gave me a load of drugs and sent me into the bogs to take them and to make a spliff.

I did go to the bathroom but then I u turned and made a very hasty exit out of the door (with a pocket full of goodies) while all these men were laughing and joking and having a good time.

Now, if I hadn't done that and this group of men had have had their way with me would I have had any rights to complain about that to anyone. I don't think I would have because I went into this situation knowing what I was getting into and really giving consent to that just so that I could get what I wanted.

But I'm thinking that some women might have tried to get them into trouble and I think that that is where men are terrified of women and so that maybe where the interaction between men and women in these types of social setting is sadly dwindling. I've seen women leading men on to get what they want and then behaving like victims when the man hasn't understood he's being taken for a ride.

Just my experience there

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 2:54 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
But I'm not someone who claims to be a professor on the Internet so what do i know?

I think it safe to assume they're an instructor at the post-secondary school level, and that their observational skills are good enough for them to be taken seriously, whatever their academic credentials might be.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 2:55 pm

babybird wrote:
An extreme case but when I was about 16 or maybe even younger. I went out with a group of men (a lot older than me) because I knew that I would get a free night out. I'd get a meal and drinks and drugs and whatever. I also knew that they wanted sex with me. I still went along even though I didn't want the sex part but I wanted the rest but I didn't tell them that I didn't want the sex part because if I did I knew I wouldn't get a good night out.

So during the meal one of them gave me a load of drugs and sent me into the bogs to take them and to make a spliff.

I did go to the bathroom but then I u turned and made a very hasty exit out of the door (with a pocket full of goodies) while all these men were laughing and joking and having a good time.

Now, if I hadn't done that and this group of men had have had their way with me would I have had any rights to complain about that to anyone. I don't think I would have because I went into this situation knowing what I was getting into and really giving consent to that just so that I could get what I wanted.

But I'm thinking that some women might have tried to get them into trouble and I think that that is where men are terrified of women and so that maybe where the interaction between men and women in these types of social setting is sadly dwindling. I've seen women leading men on to get what they want and then behaving like victims when the man hasn't understood he's being taken for a ride.

Just my experience there

Imagine, guys acting like creeps and being worried they might get in trouble for it. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

MaxE wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
But I'm not someone who claims to be a professor on the Internet so what do i know?

I think it safe to assume they're an instructor at the post-secondary school level, and that their observational skills are good enough for them to be taken seriously, whatever their academic credentials might be.

Why?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

Personally I don't think you have to have a postgrad degree to see what's right in front of your own eyes

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 2:58 pm

Even if the observation was based on a true experience, 30 people is too small a sample size to come to any general conclusions. He should know that if he’s a professor.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 31 Mar 2024, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

babybird wrote:

My opinion? Yes, you would have had the right to complain. Because sex isn't part of a contract that you have with men for food, money, drugs or anything else. Explicitly or implicitly. Unless you are a prostitute. And that isn't legal here anyway. Men that think that way are scumbags. You were being exploitative too but that wouldn't excuse their behaviour had it gone further.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

funeralxempire wrote:
babybird wrote:

Just my experience there

Imagine, guys acting like creeps and being worried they might get in trouble for it. :lol:

Yeah but what I'm saying is that I was fully aware what they were doing and I was aware of my plan. I think sometimes women are treated like they're stupid and I think that some women like to play up to this and when it all goes tit's up for them it's too easy to blame it on the guy.

It's 50/50 in my experience

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 3:00 pm

babybird wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
babybird wrote:

Just my experience there

Yeah but what I'm saying is that I was fully aware what they were doing and I was aware of my plan. I think sometimes women are treated like they're stupid and I think that some women like to play up to this and when it all goes tit's up for them it's too easy to blame it on the guy.

No, if you were SA'd that night that would 100% be on them, not 50/50 on you too.

It's not a matter of thinking you didn't understand what you were getting into, it's that there's never a good excuse that negates responsibility for forcing others into non-consensual sex acts.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 3:02 pm

babybird wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
babybird wrote:

Just my experience there

In my experience, women do not normally want to get a guy in trouble for no reason, not that it doesn’t happen on rare occasions.

Especially if they were aware of your age, they would’ve deserved any punishment the law would’ve doled out.

The “boys will be boys” notion is far too prevalent in our society, and it’s harmful to women AND men.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 3:12 pm

So I went on a night out and was fully aware of what was going to happen and I had agreed to it all but all I wanted was to get money, drugs, food and drinks and then to do a runner.

Who broke the contract.

I know what you're saying but reality doesn't always play out like that. Things happen.

I've seen it so many times. Friends of mine who were sex workers who take the money and have their boyfriends hiding round the corner to beat the man up.

Women who just take what they want and then absolutely demonise the man who they've just absolutely rinsed when the guy hasn't even touched them

This happens frequently.

I think men are at an absolute disadvantage when it comes to hooking up in pubs and clubs. And it is down to fear of being accused of things they haven't even done.

I'm not saying all men are innocent but by the same toke women are by no means innocent in this decline of male/female interaction in the real world.