The Bible says nothing about transgender people.

Page 2 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 8:01 pm

I'm sorry but my point is that state enforced atheism is just as dangerous to society as any theocracy can be. It's better to have a society that allows freedom of religious beliefs without mixing religion with government (or trying to force atheism on its people like the USSR and CCP did).

j_k
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2024, 8:14 pm

I don't think anyone was saying belief, or lack thereof, should be enforced. I don't think anyone should support a national religion, or support a ban on religion.

I struggle to find how atheism is forced on people, though. It feels like at that point, there's a different intention happening. I mean I've read the literature, and I think I get what your are saying. But also, it's not lost on me that Stalin was a seminary student.

I don't know. It's not like I had those USSR and CCP in my mind, but you've got me on a train of thought now. And I appreciate you for that :)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 8:19 pm

This thread wasn’t about state-enforced religion or atheism. That’s a completely different set of issues involving politics.

Abrahamic religion can be used to promote homophobia and transphobia because of the holy books they are based on.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 01 Apr 2024, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 8:19 pm

j_k wrote:
I don't think anyone was saying belief, or lack thereof, should be enforced. I don't think anyone should support a national religion, or support a ban on religion.

I struggle to find how atheism is forced on people, though. It feels like at that point, there's a different intention happening. I mean I've read the literature, and I think I get what your are saying. But also, it's not lost on me that Stalin was a seminary student.

I don't know. It's not like I had those USSR and CCP in my mind, but you've got me on a train of thought now. And I appreciate you for that :)

Oh ok, I knew you guys weren't saying either was ok. I was just trying to explain my point because I wasnt sure if I was explaining it clear. Lol I hate having autism because I often misunderstand social interactions. :oops:

But yeah I don't believe either atheism or religion/spirituality is a bad thing, as long as the government doesnt try to force either on people. :wink:

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 8:21 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
This thread wasn’t about state-enforced religion or atheism. That’s a completely different set of issues. The problem was political.

Abrahamic religion can be used to promote homophobia and transphobia because of the holy books they are based on.

I was just trying to say that other religions can impose similar types of oppression on us. Not just the "Abrahamic" ones everyone loves to hate right now.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 8:26 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
This thread wasn’t about state-enforced religion or atheism. That’s a completely different set of issues. The problem was political.

I was just trying to say that other religions can impose similar types of oppression on us. Not just the "Abrahamic" ones everyone loves to hate right now.

I think most people are aware of oppression that other religions can cause, but in this thread about transphobia and the Bible, it’s understandable why the focus would be on the Bible/abrahamic religion.

It’s certainly a problem in the US.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 3:09 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Except for that one Canaanite woman whom he compared to a dog begging for scraps.
Taken in the proper context, He expressed a metaphor, which He did often. Read the actual verses from Matthew 21-28 (NIV).
Matthew, the Tax Collector wrote:
The Faith of a Canaanite Woman

[21] Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon.

[22] A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.

[23] Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.

[24] He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.

[25] The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said.

[26] He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.

[27] “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.

[28] Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.
Even though He spoke in metaphors, the meaning was not lost on the Canaanite woman, who referred to Jesus as her "master" in a metaphor of her own, thus declaring her faith and submission to Him.

They were also engaged in something called "banter", of which many Aspies have no concept for themselves.

Again, read your Bible in its proper context.

Now, can we PLEASE get back on topic?

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 6:21 am

Quote:

Now, can we PLEASE get back on topic?

:roll:

Whatever fine by me, I'm done arguing about religion anyways. In fact I'm done period.

Oh and while I'm at it, this kind of topic really should be in the PPR board. :roll:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 6:35 am

Many problems with Jesus and the Bible are addressed throughout this thread.

Whether Jesus was engaging in banter or not, he should’ve realized that it would be problematic to future readers if he was/is the perfect divinity people consider him to be. It would’ve been better for him to avoid speaking in metaphors that could/would be misinterpreted. That’s a problem with a lot of Jesus’s teachings and parables.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 8:15 am

Jesus DID talk about eunuchs though.

Mathew 19:12

“For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.”

Traditionally theologians interpret that to be a plug for celibacy. In recent times its been interpreted as support for LBGTQ acceptance.

Take your pick.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 10:22 am

Most women in western countries wear pants now even if they are not trans, and high heels were originally made for men. So we're all going to burn no matter what. I guess. :roll:

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 10:23 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Most women in western countries wear pants now even if they are not trans, and high heels were originally made for men. So we're all going to burn no matter what. I guess. :roll:

Indeed we are. :D

Embrace it! :jester:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 10:26 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

Technically it's only crossdressing when social norms view it as such.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2024, 7:38 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
It’s complicated.

There are a few Bible scriptures that they interpret a certain way. It mostly comes down to ignorance and thinking that trans folks are subverting God’s will though.

Deuteronomy 22:5 “A woman shall not wear a man’s apparel, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for whoever does such things is abhorrent to the Lord your God.”

(Obviously, a trans man is not a woman and vice versa. It circles back around to ignorance which is furthered by conservative media.)

People don't like it when I get really pedantic and bring up the fact that what clothing is considered women's and men's in today's culture is completely different from during the time that verse was written and thus the verse leaves many questions to be asked.

Am I being too pedantic? I personally don't think so, as in the case that types of clothing were prescribed to us as women and men by God, then it wouldn't be changing... or we've rebelled against God with our modern styles of clothing. If it wasn't prescribed by God, then gendered clothing is completely arbitrary and decided from culture to culture and through time, which makes that verse's pronouncement confusing and empty.

God didn't lay down a commandment that dresses are for women to wear. Society decided that. So... the rule that God supposedly laid down is dependent upon what humans think is gendered wear in any given place and time. Very weird. A pronouncement as clear as mud.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 7:55 pm

I was just thinking how they also get caught up in all the scriptures that outline the different roles for men and women in relationships/religion.* The Bible would not support NB folks for this reason unless people decided to solely stick with the nice bits. Jesus, while problematic, didn’t say anything about gender or LGBTQ+ stuff except for upholding the OT to a certain extent. I obviously don’t think that the Bible was inspired by God, and I also doubt that most, if any, of the Bible writers would’ve approved of transgenderism taking various scriptures throughout the Bible into account. Some books advocate people to beat children and slaves with rods, so it’s probably not a good source of morality overall. There are nice scriptures and passages, but there is similarly nice stuff, if not significantly nicer, in just about anything more recent. :lol:

*1 Corinthians 11:3-5 “But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, 5 but every wife who prays or prophecies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven.”

11:8-9 “For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. 9 Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.”

Ephesians 5:22-24 “Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.”

1 Timothy 2:11-15 “A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.”

Leviticus 12:2,5 “Speak to the people of Israel, saying, If a woman conceives and bears a male child, then she shall be unclean seven days. As at the time of her menstruation, she shall be unclean. 5 But if she bears a female child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her menstruation. And she shall continue in the blood of her purifying for sixty-six days.”

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 02 Apr 2024, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j_k

02 Apr 2024, 8:14 pm

And also important to note, those were all written by Paul, who had his vision on the road to Damascus. He was, up until that point, a bigot, and seemingly, not a good guy.

But hey, suddenly god spoke to him, and now billions have to listen, right? (Being sarcastic)